Seri

Default Kitchen Counter Top Over Hang?

I know this is probably just a matter of personal taste and preference,
but I thought I would ask as there may be some recommended guide lines.

I'm about to fit a kitchen counter top that's 670mm deep. The cabinets
in question are 600mm deep. My plan was to trim the counter top to
depth as 70mm seems like far too much, so the simple question is, what
is the recommended amount of over hang? Is it simply down to personal
preference? Is there a recommended amount to reduce drips and drops on
the cabinets underneath?

Any suggestions are welcomed

Thanks

Seri

andrewpreece

"Seri" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this is probably just a matter of personal taste and preference,
but I thought I would ask as there may be some recommended guide lines.

I'm about to fit a kitchen counter top that's 670mm deep. The cabinets
in question are 600mm deep. My plan was to trim the counter top to
depth as 70mm seems like far too much, so the simple question is, what
is the recommended amount of over hang? Is it simply down to personal
preference? Is there a recommended amount to reduce drips and drops on
the cabinets underneath?

Any suggestions are welcomed

Thanks

Seri

I made my overhang so that it was slightly greater than the amount the
cabinet handles projected, on the grounds that if I was manouevring
a tall object like a fridge past the cabinets, there would be less of a
chance of
knocking into a handle etc. An arbitrary sort of criterion, but that's how I
did it.

Andy.

Sparks

"Seri" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this is probably just a matter of personal taste and preference,
but I thought I would ask as there may be some recommended guide lines.

I'm about to fit a kitchen counter top that's 670mm deep. The cabinets
in question are 600mm deep. My plan was to trim the counter top to
depth as 70mm seems like far too much, so the simple question is, what
is the recommended amount of over hang? Is it simply down to personal
preference? Is there a recommended amount to reduce drips and drops on
the cabinets underneath?

Any suggestions are welcomed

Not answering your question, but you may be able move the cabinets forward a
bit so you end up with a deeper worktop, and avoid trimming the worktop.

(My worktop overhangs by about 30mm)

rrh

"Seri" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this is probably just a matter of personal taste and preference,
but I thought I would ask as there may be some recommended guide lines.

I'm about to fit a kitchen counter top that's 670mm deep. The cabinets
in question are 600mm deep. My plan was to trim the counter top to
depth as 70mm seems like far too much, so the simple question is, what
is the recommended amount of over hang? Is it simply down to personal
preference? Is there a recommended amount to reduce drips and drops on
the cabinets underneath?

Any suggestions are welcomed

Thanks

Seri

Personally I would like 70mm if I could have it: better for preventing drips
etc. I suggest you go for whatever looks OK to you. However in one respect I
am quite glad that when I refitted my kitchen last year, I ended up with
only 20-30mm of overhang: the dishwasher cannot be pushed so far under the
worktop as to allow the steam from its door when opened to attack the
underside - instead it comes out into the open.

Tony Bryer

In article , Sparks
wrote:
Not answering your question, but you may be able move the cabinets
forward a bit so you end up with a deeper worktop, and avoid
trimming the worktop.

IMO that would definitely be a better answer if you have any drawer
units otherwise the back bit of the drawer will be lost under the
overhang.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]