Ian Stirling

Default Repairing poly-tunnels.

The cover on my 5*10m poly-tunnel (approx) ripped one night in a strong
gale. (right across the circumference, and half way along the length)

Taking some thick twine, and punching holes in each side every 2cm or so,
and then lacing up the split edges has worked well.

Start out with a fairly loose gap, and then you can gradually bring the
edges together.

So far has lasted about 3 months, in fairly strong winds.

Tips.
Use a blunt pointed object to punch the holes - a sharp one will mean
it's easier to tear the string out.

Start with a long length of string - twice as long as you want to work
with, pull halfway through, then work to the ends - this will make
it easier to tighten up later.

I found it easier to lace it so that it on the outside, it looks
like dashes along the sides, with string crossing on the insides
directly across the cut.

I used baler twine, which is a 3mm or so plastic string, which can easily
be melted into a nice point.

Not advocating this, just thought that others might find it interesting.
Mike

Tips.
Use a blunt pointed object to punch the holes - a sharp one will mean
it's easier to tear the string out.

Another tip. (But not 'truly' related to the above but does apply)
Any material or metal which is 'tearing', can be stopped going further, by
drilling a hole at the end of the existing tear.

Mike

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

Tips.
Use a blunt pointed object to punch the holes - a sharp one will mean
it's easier to tear the string out.

Another tip. (But not 'truly' related to the above but does apply)
Any material or metal which is 'tearing', can be stopped going further, by
drilling a hole at the end of the existing tear.

Some kind of eyelet, even if only one or two washers, would also help to
take the strain on the cord and prevent splitting.

Mary

Mike

Mike Lyle

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

Tips.
Use a blunt pointed object to punch the holes - a sharp one will
mean it's easier to tear the string out.

Another tip. (But not 'truly' related to the above but does apply)
Any material or metal which is 'tearing', can be stopped going
further, by drilling a hole at the end of the existing tear.

Some kind of eyelet, even if only one or two washers, would also

help
to take the strain on the cord and prevent splitting.

I'd guess that you could make very effective eyelets for the purpose
by punching holes in squares of gaffer tape or Duck tape. (Actually,
I'd consider doing the whole repair with this kind of tape.)

--
Mike.

Mary Fisher

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Some kind of eyelet, even if only one or two washers, would also

help
to take the strain on the cord and prevent splitting.

I'd guess that you could make very effective eyelets for the purpose
by punching holes in squares of gaffer tape or Duck tape.

Oh yes, of course! I expect I would have thought of that, given time ...

(Actually,
I'd consider doing the whole repair with this kind of tape.)

Looks awful though!

Mary

--
Mike.

Howard Neil

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Some kind of eyelet, even if only one or two washers, would also

help

to take the strain on the cord and prevent splitting.

I'd guess that you could make very effective eyelets for the purpose
by punching holes in squares of gaffer tape or Duck tape.

Oh yes, of course! I expect I would have thought of that, given time ...

(Actually,
I'd consider doing the whole repair with this kind of tape.)

Looks awful though!

You can buy a special tape for this. It is like a very strong sellotape,
at least as strong as Duck tape but clear(ish).

One further thought re making holes for lacing (interesting idea, this).
If you melt the holes (small gas soldering iron?), the plastic will melt
out from the centre, leaving a plastic collar as a reinforcement.

--
Howard Neil
Stefek Zaba

Ian Stirling wrote:

I used baler twine, which is a 3mm or so plastic string, which can easily
be melted into a nice point.

....with the aid of a welding torch. Thereby fulfilling the LAW, which
requires ALL agricultural repairs to be made using baler twine and a
welder...
Mary Fisher

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
Ian Stirling wrote:

I used baler twine, which is a 3mm or so plastic string, which can easily
be melted into a nice point.

...with the aid of a welding torch. Thereby fulfilling the LAW, which
requires ALL agricultural repairs to be made using baler twine and a
welder...

Sssssssh! If They (spelt defra) hears that they'll devise forms to apply for
its use.

Mary

Owain

Stefek Zaba wrote:
I used baler twine, which is a 3mm or so plastic string, which can easily
be melted into a nice point.

....with the aid of a welding torch. Thereby fulfilling the LAW, which
requires ALL agricultural repairs to be made using baler twine and a
welder...

I think I'll stick to baler twine only thank you, especially for when my
trousers fall down.

Owain