Default semi-transparent floor

I guess this is a tough one....
I am thinking of make the most of two roof windows by letting the light
coming from these through the ceiling into the second floor of a
terrace house.

At the moment I am considering using sheets of polycarbonate
(triplewall 16mm) in the area just below the two windows. These sheets
would cover an area of about 2m x 4m around the centre of the loft
space while the rest will be covered with the usual chipboard.
Ideally, the loft area should be usable...in the same way as if it was
covered entirely by chipboard.
I've already done a quick test and I am quite positive that the
polycarbonate sheet will work just fine if not better than chipboard.

However there are certain issues which I need to consider before moving
forwards:
The loft space will be used for studio recording and I want to avoid
reflective surfaces as much as possible. I am thinking of using a sort
of perforated carpet (made of seagrass or simialar) on top of the
polycarbonate sheets.
Where can I find such product or are there any viable alternative?
Has anyone out there any experience in semi-transparent and non
reflective floors?
Any hint is very much appreciated,

Thanks

Alex

Stuart

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:06:10 +0100, Alan
wrote:

In message . com,
wrote

I've already done a quick test and I am quite positive that the
polycarbonate sheet will work just fine if not better than chipboard.

Will it still be as strong in, say, 5 years time? Will UV or heat cause
it to become brittle? Will it suffer fatigue with constant walking
across it?

And a big sign that says .No Skirts Please .
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
nightjar

wrote in message
ups.com...
I guess this is a tough one....
I am thinking of make the most of two roof windows by letting the light
coming from these through the ceiling into the second floor of a
terrace house.

At the moment I am considering using sheets of polycarbonate
(triplewall 16mm) in the area just below the two windows. These sheets
would cover an area of about 2m x 4m around the centre of the loft
space while the rest will be covered with the usual chipboard.
Ideally, the loft area should be usable...in the same way as if it was
covered entirely by chipboard.
I've already done a quick test and I am quite positive that the
polycarbonate sheet will work just fine if not better than chipboard.

I've used 16mm triple wall polycarbonate for a conservatory roof. I took
great care not to put too much weight on it because I am quite positive it
isn't strong enough. If it were solid 16mm polycarbonate, that would be a
different matter. The more usual material for clear floors is thick glass.

Colin Bignell

Mike Harrison

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:06:10 +0100, Alan wrote:

In message . com,
wrote

I've already done a quick test and I am quite positive that the
polycarbonate sheet will work just fine if not better than chipboard.

Will it still be as strong in, say, 5 years time? Will UV or heat cause
it to become brittle? Will it suffer fatigue with constant walking
across it?

The window glass will filter out most of the shortwave UV, so it should last a lot longer than if
used outdoors.
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:06:10 +0100, Alan
wrote:

In message . com,
wrote

I've already done a quick test and I am quite positive that the
polycarbonate sheet will work just fine if not better than chipboard.

Will it still be as strong in, say, 5 years time? Will UV or heat cause
it to become brittle? Will it suffer fatigue with constant walking
across it?

Also, if there were a fire it could melt, posing a hazard for anyone
trapped in the loft.
Rick

On 24 Apr 2005 15:42:08 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I have been buying roof windows, there are vaious people who can sell
you glass pannels that are stroung enough to walk on.

There was a really sexy sliding roof window on Grand Designs the other
week, you could have it so that some thing slides across the glass
when you want it non reflective.

Rick

I've forgotten to mention that there are joists (350mm gap)underneath
the sheets.
Poycarbonate is easy to handle and can be cut to size unlike toughened
glass.

Polycarbonate is much more resistant to heat and fire than other
plastics...however you might have a point.

In any case I don't think chipboard does a particularly good job
against fire and it is pretty useless against water.