Ian Stirling

I've forgotten to mention that there are joists (350mm gap)underneath
the sheets.
Poycarbonate is easy to handle and can be cut to size unlike toughened
glass.

But, in the case of a fire underneath, the polycarbonate will go in seconds.
I'd be looking at making a simple sloping foil-covered plate of 18mm thick
chipboard or something, that acts both as a reflector, to add great amounts
of light, and a fire door. Which can, on heat being detected below (hot-melt
glue or wax releasing a suspension rope) fall, and cover the opening.