dIMM

Default building an office

My friend has just bought some new warehouse premises and he has asked me to
help him build a new office area in one corner of the unit.
The office walls are to be constructed made of 3" x 2" timber frame (2
walls) and the other 2 walls will be be the existing breeze block walls.

The problem I have is what timber to use for the ceiling joists....3"x 2" or
4"x 2" . And how to fix them to the breeze block wall. I dont know whether
to use joist hangers or just fix a baton to the wall and screw the ceiling
joists to the timber baton.
All opinions gratefully received.

nog

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:45:51 +0100, dIMM wrote:

My friend has just bought some new warehouse premises and he has asked me to
help him build a new office area in one corner of the unit.
The office walls are to be constructed made of 3" x 2" timber frame (2
walls) and the other 2 walls will be be the existing breeze block walls.

The problem I have is what timber to use for the ceiling joists....3"x 2" or
4"x 2" . And how to fix them to the breeze block wall. I dont know whether
to use joist hangers or just fix a baton to the wall and screw the ceiling
joists to the timber baton.
All opinions gratefully received.

Whether you intend it or not, the possibility that the roof surface of this
office will be used for storage can't be ruled out. This, in turn, could
mean that, sooner or later, it may be bearing the weight of a person. This
may influence your choice of materials, and mode of construction. ;-)
The Natural Philosopher

dIMM wrote:

My friend has just bought some new warehouse premises and he has asked me to
help him build a new office area in one corner of the unit.
The office walls are to be constructed made of 3" x 2" timber frame (2
walls) and the other 2 walls will be be the existing breeze block walls.

The problem I have is what timber to use for the ceiling joists....3"x 2" or
4"x 2" . And how to fix them to the breeze block wall. I dont know whether
to use joist hangers or just fix a baton to the wall and screw the ceiling
joists to the timber baton.
All opinions gratefully received.

Timbert is cheap.

Make em braced 6x3 so you can safely walk on top.

Personally I don't think a lort of hangars. A lot easier top get some
expandintg bolts and really solidly fix a lump of 6x3 (not a batten) to
ehwall and mount off that...and you can dry line the inside with more
3x2 stud and insulate it as well.
Simon

"dIMM" wrote in message ...
My friend has just bought some new warehouse premises and he has asked me to
help him build a new office area in one corner of the unit.
The office walls are to be constructed made of 3" x 2" timber frame (2
walls) and the other 2 walls will be be the existing breeze block walls.

The problem I have is what timber to use for the ceiling joists....3"x 2" or
4"x 2" . And how to fix them to the breeze block wall. I dont know whether
to use joist hangers or just fix a baton to the wall and screw the ceiling
joists to the timber baton.
All opinions gratefully received.

You may also want it to be sound-proofed, so that noise / trucks etc
in the warehouse will not mean you cannot talk on the phone in the
office. I've been in several of these types of office, and often the
noise if awful. But I suppose you warehouse could be storing cotton
wool distributed by grannies in slippers !
Simon.
Rick

wrote:

My friend has just bought some new warehouse premises and he has asked me to
help him build a new office area in one corner of the unit.
The office walls are to be constructed made of 3" x 2" timber frame (2
walls) and the other 2 walls will be be the existing breeze block walls.

The problem I have is what timber to use for the ceiling joists....3"x 2" or
4"x 2" . And how to fix them to the breeze block wall. I dont know whether
to use joist hangers or just fix a baton to the wall and screw the ceiling
joists to the timber baton.
All opinions gratefully received.

Joist hangers are best used when they beam is fitted in very tight,
one end of yours is free to move as the wall may wobble.

I would go for much bigger timber, I remember loading up the roof of
an office like the one you describe, untill sombody pointed out what
the walls were made of. Very rapidly we got the stuff down again.

Rick