Tom

Default Which cement mix ?

On the gable ends of my bungalow the roof tiles are bedded on a cement
fillet which is extensively cracked and bits have fallen out in places.
I would imagine that I should rake out the loose bits and replace with a
cement mix of some kind.
What type of cement mix should it be? should it have some flexibility or
fibres mixed in it? What kind of paint should be used to protect it after it
cures.
Any advice gratefully received.
Tom

Olav Marjasoo

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:21:20 +0100, "Tom"
wrote:

On the gable ends of my bungalow the roof tiles are bedded on a cement
fillet which is extensively cracked and bits have fallen out in places.
I would imagine that I should rake out the loose bits and replace with a
cement mix of some kind.
What type of cement mix should it be? should it have some flexibility or
fibres mixed in it? What kind of paint should be used to protect it after it
cures.
Any advice gratefully received.
Tom

1:3 Cement mortar. No additives. Use as little water as you can, it
has to "stand up" and not slump.
--
Olav Marjasoo
Overlooking the Clyde, West Coast of Scotland
tom patton

Did this very job on my gables last year
The roofer said use a weak mortar mix. with as little water as you can-do
not add plasticer-use anything to get the colour right I suspect dirty grey.
I used-ash-soot-the kids water based paint-finally astronomically expensive
cement colouring in powder form.All appear to have worked-18 months later.
Use a very small trowel to force the mortar mix into the gaps.dont put to
much in at once its better to let it set and go back again rather than make
a mess.If you make the mistake of getting dried cement on the trowel and it
wont come off get a new one.

wrote:

On the gable ends of my bungalow the roof tiles are bedded on a cement
fillet which is extensively cracked and bits have fallen out in places.
I would imagine that I should rake out the loose bits and replace with a
cement mix of some kind.
What type of cement mix should it be? should it have some flexibility or
fibres mixed in it? What kind of paint should be used to protect it after

it
cures.
Any advice gratefully received.
Tom

1:3 Cement mortar. No additives. Use as little water as you can, it
has to "stand up" and not slump.
--
Olav Marjasoo
Overlooking the Clyde, West Coast of Scotland

Dave Stanton

to let it set and go back again rather than make a mess.If you make the
mistake of getting dried cement on the trowel and it wont come off get a
new one.

In other words, if you don't clean your tools after doing the job....

Dave