Renster

Default Gulfstream 2000 & KInetico 2020

Folks,

I was all set to go and buy a Kinetico water softener, and the guy at
the stockists said I should check my boiler supports softened water???

This was news to me - I figured from a boiling perspective, water was
water?

Anyway, if anyone can advise on this, please do! Also, how do I tell if
I need standard / high flow version of the 2020?

Thanks

Steve

Ian_m

"Renster" wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks,

I was all set to go and buy a Kinetico water softener, and the guy at
the stockists said I should check my boiler supports softened water???

This was news to me - I figured from a boiling perspective, water was
water?

Anyway, if anyone can advise on this, please do! Also, how do I tell if
I need standard / high flow version of the 2020?

Not soft water per se, but a softener reduces the flow and pressure slightly
which could end up operating a combi boiler with insufficient water flow.
The Kinetico is a good choice (but outrageously expensive choice) with a
combi as it allows uninterrupted soft water flow as it recharges one
cylinder whilst the other is in use. There are other hundred of £'s cheaper
dual cylinder choices available for use with combi's.

Renster

Thanks Ian....

The Kinetico is indeed a touch on the pricey side! But I do like it on
the grounds it only regenerates when necessary (rather than timer) and
also needs no electricity supply.... just "plumb and play", to coin a
new phrase....

Unless you can particularly recommend another brand / model?

Cheers

Steve

Christian McArdle

The Kinetico is indeed a touch on the pricey side! But I do like it on
the grounds it only regenerates when necessary (rather than timer) and
also needs no electricity supply.... just "plumb and play", to coin a
new phrase....

The Kinetico is a good product. I just wish they were not sold on such a
pyramid basis. There are plenty of other makes out there. You are right to
insist on a metered version. Metering is essential.

However, finding a cheap metered twin cylinder model (that allows continuous
use) has always eluded me. There are plenty of other models, such as those
based on the Autotrol valve, but these generally stop working during
regeneration. Some metered systems are able to regenerate at night if they
think it will run out during the next day, which is a good compromise.

Christian.