POD {Ò¿Ó}

Default This cheap nasty Chipboard flooring from B&Q...

...and lots of other places to be honest.. Well it's tongue and groove down
either side, but the ends are just plain flat, and I've layed a couple and
found that when you put weight on them they give at these joints, even when
I've employed a "brickwork" pattern of laying them.

Any suggestions of a simple way of re-enforcing these joints?

--
Thank you kindly

POD {Ò¿Ó}

Mark A

POD {Ò¿Ó} wrote:

Any suggestions of a simple way of re-enforcing these joints?

Biscuits or dowels?

Regards

Mark
John

"POD {Ò¿Ó}" wrote in message
..and lots of other places to be honest.. Well it's tongue and groove
down
either side, but the ends are just plain flat, and I've layed a couple and
found that when you put weight on them they give at these joints, even
when
I've employed a "brickwork" pattern of laying them.

Any suggestions of a simple way of re-enforcing these joints?

Thank you kindly

POD {Ò¿Ó}

A bit late now I suppose but the 'plain' ends are suppossed to be cut so
that these joints are in the middle of a joist. I cannot really think of
any remedy whilst the boards are in situ but I presume you don't want to rip
them all up. You may just have to live with it and play that great game
from your childhood...Don't step on the (pavement) cracks or you'll turn
into an elephant, (or fall into a bedroom maybe in your case)

Cheers

John

POD {Ò¿Ó}

The phone rang while John was doing the ironing, resulting in the 3rd
degree burn to the ear, visible for all in uk.d-i-y to guffaw over.

"POD {Ò¿Ó}" wrote in message
[...]

I've only put a couple down, so taking them back up again is fine, but the
joists are only 1" thick, and it is only nasty chipboard, and add to that,
it would be a complete pain and waste to marry up each join with a joist,
as it would involve lots of cutting and waste.

--
Thank you kindly

POD {Ò¿Ó}
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸
Oh people, know that you have committed great sins.
If you ask me what proof I have for these words,
I say it is because I am the punishment of God.
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸

POD {Ò¿Ó}

The phone rang while Mark A was doing the ironing, resulting in the 3rd

POD {Ò¿Ó} wrote:

Any suggestions of a simple way of re-enforcing these joints?

Biscuits or dowels?

Regards

Mark

I'm not sure, as the quality of the chipboard is not good, and I feel that
it would just split at that point...but I'm not sure over biscuits, that
is the best option so far.

--
Thank you kindly

POD {Ò¿Ó}
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸
Oh people, know that you have committed great sins.
If you ask me what proof I have for these words,
I say it is because I am the punishment of God.
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
POD {Ò¿Ó} wrote:
..and lots of other places to be honest.. Well it's tongue and groove
down either side, but the ends are just plain flat, and I've layed a
couple and found that when you put weight on them they give at these
joints, even when I've employed a "brickwork" pattern of laying them.

Plain ended ones are designed for meeting at a joist. You can get T&G all
round if this doesn't suit.

Any suggestions of a simple way of re-enforcing these joints?

If they're meeting at right angles to the joists, a noggin would seem the
easiest answer. Otherwise a biscuit jointer?

--
*Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
POD {Ò¿Ó} wrote:
I've only put a couple down, so taking them back up again is fine, but
the joists are only 1" thick, and it is only nasty chipboard, and add
to that, it would be a complete pain and waste to marry up each join
with a joist, as it would involve lots of cutting and waste.

If the joists are only 1" thick you shouldn't be boarding over them, as
they won't be able to take the weight of the boards, let alone anything
else.

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Owain

John wrote:
You may just have to live with it and play that great game
from your childhood...Don't step on the (pavement) cracks or you'll turn
into an elephant,

I always thought it was be eaten by a bear.

If I'd known it was turn into an elephant I'd have trodden on some.

The lies parents tell can damage a child for life.

Owain

EricP

On 17 Apr 2005 11:41:51 GMT, "POD {Ò¿Ó}"
babbled like a waterfall and said:

..and lots of other places to be honest.. Well it's tongue and groove down
either side, but the ends are just plain flat, and I've layed a couple and
found that when you put weight on them they give at these joints, even when
I've employed a "brickwork" pattern of laying them.

Any suggestions of a simple way of re-enforcing these joints?

Get PVA glue and some 3x1 wood and screws.

Put a strap under each of the edges by gluing it and screwing it so
you make a support for the next board.

It will stop the bouncing effect at least.

timycelyn

"POD {Ò¿Ó}" wrote in message
[...]

My standby in this sort of situation is a T&G profile cutter in my router.
Takes some care, and is a bit tedious on this scale, but does a good job....

Tim

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
John wrote:
You may just have to live with it and play that great game from your
childhood...Don't step on the (pavement) cracks or you'll turn into an
elephant,

I always thought it was be eaten by a bear.

That's American isn't it?

We used to say that if you stood on a nick you'd marry a brick.

If I'd known it was turn into an elephant I'd have trodden on some.

The lies parents tell can damage a child for life.

You seem as well adjusted as the next man!

Mary

Owain

POD {Ò¿Ó}

The phone rang while Dave Plowman (News) was doing the ironing, resulting

POD {Ò¿Ó} wrote:
I've only put a couple down, so taking them back up again is fine, but
the joists are only 1" thick, and it is only nasty chipboard, and add
to that, it would be a complete pain and waste to marry up each join
with a joist, as it would involve lots of cutting and waste.

If the joists are only 1" thick you shouldn't be boarding over them, as
they won't be able to take the weight of the boards, let alone anything
else.

Well it's a 1900's house, and they are about 1.5" thick and 3" deep, and
about 12" apart. And I have been walking on them for years.

--
Thank you kindly

POD {Ò¿Ó}
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸
Oh people, know that you have committed great sins.
If you ask me what proof I have for these words,
I say it is because I am the punishment of God.
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸

POD {Ò¿Ó}

The phone rang while Owain was doing the ironing, resulting in the 3rd

John wrote:
You may just have to live with it and play that great game
from your childhood...Don't step on the (pavement) cracks or you'll
turn into an elephant,

I always thought it was be eaten by a bear.

If I'd known it was turn into an elephant I'd have trodden on some.

The lies parents tell can damage a child for life.

Owain

Step on a crack = break your back....bears??? Elephants???

--
Thank you kindly

POD {Ò¿Ó}
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸
Oh people, know that you have committed great sins.
If you ask me what proof I have for these words,
I say it is because I am the punishment of God.
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸

POD {Ò¿Ó}

The phone rang while Rob Morley was doing the ironing, resulting in the
3rd degree burn to the ear, visible for all in uk.d-i-y to guffaw over.

In article , "EricP"
says...
On 17 Apr 2005 11:41:51 GMT, "POD {Ò¿Ó}"
babbled like a waterfall and said:

..and lots of other places to be honest.. Well it's tongue and groove
down either side, but the ends are just plain flat, and I've layed a
couple and found that when you put weight on them they give at these
joints, even when I've employed a "brickwork" pattern of laying them.

Any suggestions of a simple way of re-enforcing these joints?

Get PVA glue and some 3x1 wood and screws.

Put a strap under each of the edges by gluing it and screwing it so
you make a support for the next board.

Softwood has very little strength when used in the way that you
suggest, and is likely to split.

I've already considered that option, but it makes it a very big job, drill
holes, countersink holes, cut wood, glue. screw.

And consider the amount of screws and wood needed. Biscuting has my vote
so far.

--
Thank you kindly

POD {Ò¿Ó}
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸
Oh people, know that you have committed great sins.
If you ask me what proof I have for these words,
I say it is because I am the punishment of God.
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸

Rod

"POD {Ò¿Ó}" wrote in
:

I've already considered that option, but it makes it a very big job,
drill holes, countersink holes, cut wood, glue. screw.

Countersinking! Try Turbogold - they go deep enough without any effort.

--
Rod
David Lang

Hi Owain

I always thought it was be eaten by a bear.

Less specific in my area - "the bears will get you". But definitely bears.

Dave

Rod

"David Lang" wrote in
. uk:

Hi Owain

I always thought it was be eaten by a bear.

Less specific in my area - "the bears will get you". But definitely
bears.

Nah!! It's the lions that get you if you step on the lines. :-)

--
Rod

John Stumbles

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
John wrote:
You may just have to live with it and play that great game from your
childhood...Don't step on the (pavement) cracks or you'll turn into an
elephant,

I always thought it was be eaten by a bear.

That's American isn't it?

We used to say that if you stood on a nick you'd marry a brick.

If I'd known it was turn into an elephant I'd have trodden on some.

The lies parents tell can damage a child for life.

You seem as well adjusted as the next man!

Cue Kenneth Williams:

[camp] oh! hello! I'm the next man!

;-)
Mary Fisher

"John Stumbles" wrote in message

The lies parents tell can damage a child for life.

You seem as well adjusted as the next man!

Cue Kenneth Williams:

[camp] oh! hello! I'm the next man!

;-)

Yes, I thought about that. I usually say that the problem is I'M the next
man ...

Mary

MM

POD {Ò¿Ó} wrote:

Any suggestions of a simple way of re-enforcing these joints?

Biscuits or dowels?

Regards

Mark

I'm not sure, as the quality of the chipboard is not good, and I feel that
it would just split at that point...but I'm not sure over biscuits, that
is the best option so far.

Since I bought my Wolfcraft dowelling jig, joining two boards like
this has become a doddle. Accuracy is guaranteed. You can choose 6mm,
8mm, or 10mm dowels. 10mm should be fine for flooring grade chipboard.
A biscuit cutter is far more expensive and I believe using one is a
skill that is not quickly acquired.

MM
Timbrook99

Having just bought some 22mm chipboard flooring from our local big
B&Q, I'm not sure what the problem is.
They stocked 18 and 22 mm flooring chipboard, both with tongues or
grooves all around. 600mm by 2400mm (maybe 2700mm), sold
individually.

They also had packs of a cheapo version for use in boarding in a loft
space, shrink wrapped but with a warning that it shouldn't be used for
real floors.

The 22mm interlocked perfectly.

What did you buy?