MM

Default Brrr! It must be Winter!

Anyone catch the new house selling prog on C4 tonight? It showed a
couple with a semi that hadn't shifted in Hastings. But what a
difference spending £1,300 on paint, carpets and a good clean-out
made. They had had 50-odd viewings before Winter descended. I don't
know how he gets away in one piece, the stuff he comes out with. The
woman was pretty miffed at the way he verbally trashed her lovely
home.

MM
Mike

"MM" wrote in message
news
They had had 50-odd viewings before Winter descended. I don't
know how he gets away in one piece, the stuff he comes out with. The
woman was pretty miffed at the way he verbally trashed her lovely
home.

Come on. It was a total ****e-hole before he dealt with it.

chris French

In message , MM
writes
Anyone catch the new house selling prog on C4 tonight?

no. is that he one with the estate agent 'house doctoring' houses? I
have seen previous programs.

It showed a
couple with a semi that hadn't shifted in Hastings. But what a
difference spending £1,300 on paint, carpets and a good clean-out
made. They had had 50-odd viewings before Winter descended. I don't
know how he gets away in one piece, the stuff he comes out with. The
woman was pretty miffed at the way he verbally trashed her lovely
home.

So lovely it wasn't selling?

I never cease to be amazed at how little effort some people seem to put
into marketing their home (going on some of the houses I've viewed). We
did bit of house doctor job on our house before selling (nothing
major, it was by then in pretty good order) repainting a couple of
rooms, decluttering a lot, depersonalising a lot, finishing off loads of
those round tuits and just generally presenting it in the best light,
I'm sure it's one of the reasons it's been the quickest house to get a
buyer round here ( there are 5 up in just our street of about 70 houses
right now)

Yes, we might say that buyers should see past the crap, but many don't
--
Chris French, Leeds
Owain

Mike wrote:
They had had 50-odd viewings before Winter descended. I don't
know how he gets away in one piece, the stuff he comes out with. The
woman was pretty miffed at the way he verbally trashed her lovely
home.

Come on. It was a total ****e-hole before he dealt with it.

They always are, but why don't buyers knock 10k off the price, move in,
then paint it white?

Owain

(I didn't see tonight's programme, I assume something got painted white,
it usually does.)

tony sayer

In article , chris French
writes
In message , MM
writes
[...]

Or Can't....

--
Tony Sayer

Mark

MM wrote in message
news
Anyone catch the new house selling prog on C4 tonight? It showed a
couple with a semi that hadn't shifted in Hastings. But what a
difference spending £1,300 on paint, carpets and a good clean-out
made. They had had 50-odd viewings before Winter descended. I don't
know how he gets away in one piece, the stuff he comes out with. The
woman was pretty miffed at the way he verbally trashed her lovely
home.

MM

lovely home. ?

It was a typical **** heap that didn't stand a chance of selling in the
current market, ie there would always be one better at a lower price.
At the end of the last mini Bust period I bought one in even worse
condition, the house was full of dogs, cats, rabbits, mice and stunk so much
you gagged as soon as you walked through the front door.
It was initially up for £210k, they finally accepted £170k and I sold it
for £235k,
6 weeks later to a buyer who had precisely viewed the house when it was
first on the market.
It seems some people just cant see the excrement they are living in.
Costs were 1 skip, 25lt paint, 3 weeks work cleaning, striping floorboards,
and a bit of gardening.

--
Mark§
This is an automatic signature of unknown origin

VivienB

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:30:54 GMT, chris French
wrote:

Yes, we might say that buyers should see past the crap, but many don't

Shhhh! that's why those of us who can see past it and are prepared to
do the work to smarten it up, buy our houses for less!

-
Regards, VivienB
RichardS

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , chris French
writes
In message , MM
writes
[...]

Quite.

I don't as a general rule watch many of these housey programmes now, but the
ones that I have caught (normally as a result of being in same room as SWMBO
whilst she's watching one) dismay me with the inane comments of the
potential purchasors after the obligatory makeover.

"Wow, it's much better now. I really like the way that the colour of the
new rug matches the walls, and those niknaks were just awful". Do they
think they're renting a fully-furnished house or something?

I could understand it if they came out with something about how it looks
brighter, bigger, could see their furniture fitting in or the likes.

oh well.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Mike

"Owain" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
They had had 50-odd viewings before Winter descended. I don't
know how he gets away in one piece, the stuff he comes out with. The
woman was pretty miffed at the way he verbally trashed her lovely
home.

Come on. It was a total ****e-hole before he dealt with it.

They always are, but why don't buyers knock 10k off the price, move in,
then paint it white?

Because the average purchaser wants to move into something that's readt to
live in. Let's be honest, without this there wouldn't be a 'renovation'
market at all, would there ?

MM

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:41:50 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
news
They had had 50-odd viewings before Winter descended. I don't
know how he gets away in one piece, the stuff he comes out with. The
woman was pretty miffed at the way he verbally trashed her lovely
home.

Come on. It was a total ****e-hole before he dealt with it.

Oh, come now. The place was the acme of designer crap. The kind of
thing people would pay thousands to Tracey Emin for. It takes real
effort and commitment to produce the final result we saw, and 50
viewers had marvelled at it already. I think any would-be buyer would
have been making a sound investment just buying the place 'as is'
before the makeover - and acquire a veritable work of art. They could
have sold it to Tate Modern for a cool million at least.

MM

MM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 23:24:00 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

MM wrote in message
news
Anyone catch the new house selling prog on C4 tonight? It showed a
couple with a semi that hadn't shifted in Hastings. But what a
difference spending £1,300 on paint, carpets and a good clean-out
made. They had had 50-odd viewings before Winter descended. I don't
know how he gets away in one piece, the stuff he comes out with. The
woman was pretty miffed at the way he verbally trashed her lovely
home.

MM

lovely home. ?

....and another one! (Note to self: Buy longer fishing line asap.)

MM
Mike

"MM" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:41:50 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
news
They had had 50-odd viewings before Winter descended. I don't
know how he gets away in one piece, the stuff he comes out with. The
woman was pretty miffed at the way he verbally trashed her lovely
home.

Come on. It was a total ****e-hole before he dealt with it.

Oh, come now. The place was the acme of designer crap. The kind of
thing people would pay thousands to Tracey Emin for.

I haven't actually seen her bed and other crap, but I bet it doesn't
actually smell. Even without smell-o-vision, the look of 'I'm about to
wretch' on Winter's face showed that house obviously rank.