DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT - How could the volume of a person be found? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/10188-ot-how-could-volume-person-found.html)

Nick Brooks July 23rd 04 11:08 AM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

John Powell wrote:
You are not an alcoholic until you drink more than your doctor ...
so go and weigh him for an 'obesity' check.

That's a very good point - I'm a GP and I see it as a minor role of
mine to preach about lifestyle. People want to be fixed, then get on
with their life as they see fit.

I bet you don't get formula one pit crew tutting to drivers and saying
"well if only you drove a little more slowly and occasionally got out
for a break your engine would be less strained and last longer"

It's much cheaper for politicians to shout at the populace to be more
healthy than let them decide, and provide sick-shops to clear up the
mess.

You only have to measure the girth of politicians to realise why
health promotion doesn't work.

Even John Reid admitted that for some people smoking is their only
pleasure. If one of my elderly patients said that it would be fine,
but for a senior politican responsible for firing competent managers
for not meeting his stalinist health targets that's unforgiveable
hypocrisy.

As far as I'm concerned people can be the size they want. I'll advise
them of the consequences, but then they can choose. If people wear out
their knees aged 40 because they're carrying the equivalent of 2 heavy
suitcases of lard everywhere they go then I'll point it out, give them
the help but that's as far as I can go. It's about choice and
responsiblity....

*rant mode: OFF*

Ah but should the NHS then pay for the knee, hip, heart and lung
operations they then require because of their CHOSEN lifestyle?

NB

RichardS July 23rd 04 11:32 AM

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message
John Powell wrote:
[...]

Well, do those who choose a healthy lifestyle have opportunity to contribute
less to the NHS?

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andy Hall July 23rd 04 12:43 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:08:10 +0100, Nick Brooks
wrote:

Ah but should the NHS then pay for the knee, hip, heart and lung
operations they then require because of their CHOSEN lifestyle?

NB

Absolutely, until one has the choice not to pay money to the outdated,
ineffective and wasteful megalith known as the NHS.

As it is, I have to waste thousands a year on this nonsense and then
buy healthcare insurance (which is taxed again, four times) in order
to obtain a worthwhile level of service.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Nick Brooks July 23rd 04 12:52 PM

wrote:

Ah but should the NHS then pay for the knee, hip, heart and lung
operations they then require because of their CHOSEN lifestyle?

NB

Absolutely, until one has the choice not to pay money to the outdated,
ineffective and wasteful megalith known as the NHS.

As it is, I have to waste thousands a year on this nonsense and then
buy healthcare insurance (which is taxed again, four times) in order
to obtain a worthwhile level of service.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

One of the NHS's many problems is funding. Allowing people to opt out
of contributing isn't likely to improve it. However if people had
better diets, exercised more and smoked less then the burden on the NHS
would be greatly reduced and they might be able to offer a better service.

NB

Andy Hall July 23rd 04 03:29 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

wrote:

Ah but should the NHS then pay for the knee, hip, heart and lung
operations they then require because of their CHOSEN lifestyle?

NB

Absolutely, until one has the choice not to pay money to the outdated,
ineffective and wasteful megalith known as the NHS.

As it is, I have to waste thousands a year on this nonsense and then
buy healthcare insurance (which is taxed again, four times) in order
to obtain a worthwhile level of service.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

One of the NHS's many problems is funding.

Yes. Way too much of it, way too many layers of bureaucracy with too
little used at the point of delivery and not charging at the point of
delivery covers most of it.

Allowing people to opt out
of contributing isn't likely to improve it.

On the contrary. The kindest solution would be euthanasia for this
outmoded megalith and replacement with a much scaled down and
non-universal arrangement for people that want it, paid for out of
general taxation. Those who do not wish to use it would then be
making much smaller contributions for the benefit of those on low
incomes who are unable to make their own arrangements.
I would far rather make my own choices regarding where I buy my
healthcare rather than having an inefficient state system with filthy
hospitals do it for me.

However if people had
better diets, exercised more and smoked less then the burden on the NHS
would be greatly reduced and they might be able to offer a better service.

I don't disagree regarding better diet, exercise and lifestyle, but it
is not appropriate for the state to dictate that through the medium of
an attempt at healthcare or through any other means.

I am not interested in the state providing a healthcare "service".
It would be better off not attempting to do so, and so would the
population.

hudsterou July 23rd 04 05:04 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

Mary Fisher wrote:
"IMM" wrote in message

Obesity is big problem. The government is outlawing it by
restricting the fatty foods fatties eat.

If you'd been at Camelot last weekend you wouldn't think that.

Camelot theme park? Or Camelot the people who run the national lottery?

John Powell July 23rd 04 07:25 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

However if people had
better diets, exercised more and smoked less then the burden on the NHS
would be greatly reduced and they might be able to offer a better service.

I don't disagree regarding better diet, exercise and lifestyle, but it
is not appropriate for the state to dictate that through the medium of
an attempt at healthcare or through any other means.

I am not interested in the state providing a healthcare "service".
It would be better off not attempting to do so, and so would the
population.

IF... the state provided the NATIONAL FOOD SERVICE

then we'd all agree, via taxes, to pay for a "shared table" of food.
it wouldn't be Gordon Ramsey grand food, it would be basic, healthy,
nutritious food. If we all ate at the table, and all contributed, it
would be appropriate to rant at people who took more than their fair
share, or had food fights etc. That's what the politicians are doing
with the health service, complaining about the "wasters". But if they
are seen to be indulging themselves too, whilst preaching, even
ignoring the shared meal and buying their own, then that's hypocrisy.

We got rid of the "national food service" soon after the war. Why is
that? Food, I would argue, with housing, is more important to health
than medicine? so why do we get all emotional about medicine
rationing, and vilify people who choose and pay for their own
alternative, yet it's perfectly socially acceptable to live in a vast
house and buy expensive vanity foods and chuck half of it the bin?

Such hypocrisy on a national scale

Think I'll open a beer...

Mike Tomlinson July 23rd 04 08:35 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

In article , Mary
Fisher writes

"IMM" wrote in message

Obesity is big problem. The government is outlawing it by restricting the
fatty foods fatties eat.

If you'd been at Camelot last weekend you wouldn't think that.

It's remarkable, walking around, not just in theme parks, noting just
how porky people have become. Even my parents, who live in Florida and
are over here for a few weeks' break, have commented on it. And America
is the land of the fatties.

Owain July 23rd 04 09:29 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

"John Powell" wrote
| IF... the state provided the NATIONAL FOOD SERVICE
| then we'd all agree, via taxes, to pay for a "shared table" of food.
| it wouldn't be Gordon Ramsey grand food, it would be basic, healthy,
| nutritious food.

And which particular branch of the state do you expect to provide this
National Food Service? ...

Dear Mr Powell

With regards to your application for National Food, this has been rejected
as according to an anonymous tip off we have received, your next door
neighbour is the father of your children and therefore is eligible to
receive your entitlement to Children's Allowance Of Frosties.

Yours sincerely
Child Support Agency National Food Department

Dear Mr Powell

I regret to inform you that since the introduction of Part P of the National
Food Regulations, it is not possible for you to apply on your own behalf for
National Food. Your application must be endorsed by a practitioner member of
the National Inspection Council for Colonic Irrigation.

Yours sincerely
Office of Deputy Prime Minister National Food Department

Dear Powell 546432

In respect of your chitty for Meals Hot Weather we are unable to supply same
at present and have arranged for a delivery of Meals Arctic Rations together
with Fans Battery Operated Hand Held in substitution for same. Please advise
drop zone coordinates ASAP.

By Order
Ministry of Defence Supplies National Food Department

Dear Mr or Ms Powell

Unfortunately we do not have the dishes you have requested at this branch.
We can request the savoury items to be transferred to this branch at a cost
of 60p per item. We have also noticed that the apple pie you borrowed last
week was returned with one of the pastry leaves missing. Please would you
return the missing pastry leaf or we will have to charge you for the costs
of replacing this item.

Yours sincerely
Public Library National Food Department

Dear Mr Powell

Thank you for your request for basic, healthy, nutritious food.
Unfortunately because of several problems for which no-one is to blame, we
do not have any basic, healthy, nutritious food. We do however have an
almost-finished elaborately frosted wedding cake which has cost far more and
taken far longer to bake than we anticipated. We believe that you will feel
very pleased and proud about this.

Yours aye
Scottish Parliament Depairtment o Haggis an Tatties

Owain

raden July 23rd 04 10:28 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

In message , IMM
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
Bob Eager wrote:

But make sure you seal up all orifices first - gaffer tape will do...

I suggest IMM as a subject...

If IMM is doing it, he could just wear his gimp suit. No gaffer tape
required.

What's a gimp suit? Is this trendy around your way?

It's that thing hanging up next to the handcuffs and whip in your
wardrobe
--
geoff

raden July 23rd 04 10:28 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

In message , IMM
writes

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Gordon Henderson" wrote in message ...

Eureka! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Hey, I was just about to say that!

Another method, is just to assume an average density of 1000 kg/m^3 so if
the body weighs, say, 80kg the volume must be fairly close to 80 litres.

Anyway, why does the OP want to know?

Obesity is big problem. The government is outlawing it by restricting the
fatty foods fatties eat. Soon fatties will be totally out of order for
being what they are - which isl be a menace to society.

Does that mean you need a new gimp suit?

--
geoff

raden July 23rd 04 10:28 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

In message , RichardS
writes
"IMM" wrote in message

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Gordon Henderson" wrote in message ...

Eureka! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Hey, I was just about to say that!

Another method, is just to assume an average density of 1000 kg/m^3 so

if
the body weighs, say, 80kg the volume must be fairly close to 80 litres.

Anyway, why does the OP want to know?

Obesity is big problem. The government is outlawing it by restricting the
fatty foods fatties eat. Soon fatties will be totally out of order for
being what they are - which isl be a menace to society.

Define obesity.

/me looks at self in mirror

--
geoff

raden July 23rd 04 10:33 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

In message , John Powell
writes

Even John Reid admitted that for some people smoking is their only
pleasure.

Talking of which , I gave up smoking today

So having stated that in public, I'll look a right tit if I don't
succeed

(so if posts get more ratty than normal, you know why)

--
geoff

Andrew July 24th 04 11:28 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

In article , raden
writes
In message , John Powell
writes

Even John Reid admitted that for some people smoking is their only
pleasure.

Talking of which , I gave up smoking today

So having stated that in public, I'll look a right tit if I don't
succeed

(so if posts get more ratty than normal, you know why)

My grandmother did her cold-turkey at the age of 80 after smoking 40 a
day plus a bottle of whisky a week - then lived for another 10 years.
She never drank coffee though - ? significant.
--
Andrew

John Stumbles July 27th 04 12:05 AM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
How could the volume of a person be found?
I mean using DIY methods, rather than laboratory facilities!

Submerge person in bath. Mark water level.
Get person out of bath. Fill with water to same level, measuring amount
needed.

Jerry Built July 27th 04 12:53 PM

Andy Hall wrote:
I would far rather make my own choices regarding where I buy my
healthcare rather than having an inefficient state system with
filthy hospitals do it for me.

Our "inefficient state system with filthy hospitals" is relied
upon by private healthcare providers in many, many cases.

J.B.

Tony Bryer July 27th 04 01:14 PM

In article , Jerry Built wrote:
Our "inefficient state system with filthy hospitals" is relied
upon by private healthcare providers in many, many cases.

I suspect that this is the key problem. When cleaners were directly
employed by the hospital you probably had the same person looking
after the same areas for year on year and if the required standards
were not met the person concerned could be tackled. Now (by order of
Mrs T?) it's contracted out to the lowest tenderer who probably sends
along someone different each month who may or may not have any pride
in their work and sense of 'ownership' of their patch.

Andy Hall July 27th 04 09:48 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

On 27 Jul 2004 11:53:24 -0000, Jerry Built
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
I would far rather make my own choices regarding where I buy my
healthcare rather than having an inefficient state system with
filthy hospitals do it for me.

Our "inefficient state system with filthy hospitals" is relied
upon by private healthcare providers in many, many cases.

J.B.

Not by me, it isn't. I wouldn't go near an NHS hospital if I could
possibly avoid it.

tony sayer July 27th 04 10:21 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

In article , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
I would far rather make my own choices regarding where I buy my
healthcare rather than having an inefficient state system with
filthy hospitals do it for me.

Our "inefficient state system with filthy hospitals" is relied
upon by private healthcare providers in many, many cases.

J.B.

Not by me, it isn't. I wouldn't go near an NHS hospital if I could
possibly avoid it.

Well I was talking to a very senior nursing manager the other week, a
friend of my first wife, who has been in both the NHS and the private
sector and she still swears that NHS treatment is superior medically.

Of course you get a lot more attention in the private sector, but she
was adamant that if anything was seriously wrong with her then NHS it
will be!...

--
Tony Sayer

raden July 27th 04 11:17 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

In message , Huge
writes
Tony Bryer writes:
In article , Jerry Built wrote:
Our "inefficient state system with filthy hospitals" is relied
upon by private healthcare providers in many, many cases.

I suspect that this is the key problem. When cleaners were directly
employed by the hospital you probably had the same person looking
after the same areas for year on year and if the required standards
were not met the person concerned could be tackled. Now (by order of
Mrs T?)

Who has now been out of power longer than she was in it, and can only
be blamed for things by the most rabid of bigots.

She set the precedent, and ever since then there's been an obsession
with providing the cheapest rather than a best service

--
geoff

raden July 27th 04 11:17 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

In message , John Stumbles
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
How could the volume of a person be found?
I mean using DIY methods, rather than laboratory facilities!

Submerge person in bath. Mark water level.
Get person out of bath. Fill with water to same level, measuring amount
needed.

How exactly ?

returning to the original level by removing e.g. a litre jug's worth at
a time?

--
geoff

Andy Hall July 27th 04 11:26 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:17:07 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Huge
writes
Tony Bryer writes:
In article , Jerry Built wrote:
Our "inefficient state system with filthy hospitals" is relied
upon by private healthcare providers in many, many cases.

I suspect that this is the key problem. When cleaners were directly
employed by the hospital you probably had the same person looking
after the same areas for year on year and if the required standards
were not met the person concerned could be tackled. Now (by order of
Mrs T?)

Who has now been out of power longer than she was in it, and can only
be blamed for things by the most rabid of bigots.

She set the precedent, and ever since then there's been an obsession
with providing the cheapest rather than a best service

The trouble is that the service is horrendous and the cost to the
taxpayer even more horrendous. I would like to know where the
countless thousands that I contribute to this each year (employer and
employee contributions) actually go.... It doesn't end up at the
point of delivery in any way that I find useful.

Andy Hall July 27th 04 11:36 PM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:21:31 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
I would far rather make my own choices regarding where I buy my
healthcare rather than having an inefficient state system with
filthy hospitals do it for me.

Our "inefficient state system with filthy hospitals" is relied
upon by private healthcare providers in many, many cases.

J.B.

Not by me, it isn't. I wouldn't go near an NHS hospital if I could
possibly avoid it.

Well I was talking to a very senior nursing manager the other week, a
friend of my first wife, who has been in both the NHS and the private
sector and she still swears that NHS treatment is superior medically.

Of course you get a lot more attention in the private sector, but she
was adamant that if anything was seriously wrong with her then NHS it
will be!...

Hmm.... well having had recent experience of a family member needing
quite major abdominal surgery, we came rapidly to the opposite
conclusion. One of the major concerns of the two surgeons (and we
are talking eminent FRS and equivalent) was the risk of post operative
infection in a ward situation of the local NHS hospital.

I might believe that the NHS has something to offer in A&E because of
scale , or could if the facilities were not so appallingly tatty and
if the staff didn't have an attitude that they are doing one a favour.

Ian Stirling July 28th 04 12:37 AM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

John Stumbles wrote:
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
How could the volume of a person be found?
I mean using DIY methods, rather than laboratory facilities!

Submerge person in bath. Mark water level.
Get person out of bath. Fill with water to same level, measuring amount
needed.

And then comes the question of whether the volume includes or excludes
the volume of the lungs.
I think the person being submerged will argue for the former rather
strenuously.

Bob Eager July 28th 04 12:49 AM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:37:30 UTC, Ian Stirling
wrote:

And then comes the question of whether the volume includes or excludes
the volume of the lungs.
I think the person being submerged will argue for the former rather
strenuously.

That's why (a long way back, near the start of this thread) I argued for
sealing all orifices with gaffer tape.

And using IMM as the subject...

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

G&M July 28th 04 12:52 AM

"tony sayer" wrote in message
Well I was talking to a very senior nursing manager the other week, a
friend of my first wife, who has been in both the NHS and the private
sector and she still swears that NHS treatment is superior medically.

Of course you get a lot more attention in the private sector, but she
was adamant that if anything was seriously wrong with her then NHS it
will be!...

At the end of the day it's the same consultants. Only in the private sector
you can guarantee it IS the consultant who does the whole job, not just
starts you off and checks his underlings have sewn things up right at the
end

But key thing is infections. NHS hospitals are filthy, private ones aren't.
Given that 5 to 10,000 people die of infections picked up in hospitals each
year I know where I prefer.

G&M July 28th 04 12:57 AM

"raden" wrote in message
were not met the person concerned could be tackled. Now (by order of
Mrs T?)

Who has now been out of power longer than she was in it, and can only
be blamed for things by the most rabid of bigots.

She set the precedent, and ever since then there's been an obsession
with providing the cheapest rather than a best service

Hmm.

British Telecom before Mrs T - 6 months to wait for a (noisy) phone.
British Telecom after Mrs T - 2 days to wait for a good phone plus many
alternatives.

Electricity companies before Mrs T - overcharged.
Electricity companies after Mrs T - highly competive pricing.

British made cars before Mrs T - unreliable, expensive.
British made cars after Mrs T - even Vauxhalls work reliably and are
actually proportionally cheaper.

Restuarants before Mrs T - crap and utter crap.
Restaurants after Mrs T - more top quality places than anywhere other than
France

Ian Stirling July 28th 04 01:33 AM

Mary Fisher wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

Obesity is big problem. The government is outlawing it by restricting the
fatty foods fatties eat.

If you'd been at Camelot last weekend you wouldn't think that.

Well, it's only to be expected, with their diet.
Ham and Jam and Spamalot.

IMM July 28th 04 01:45 AM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:21:31 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

Of course what you say is all tripe.

IMM July 28th 04 01:49 AM

"G&M" wrote in message

"raden" wrote in message
were not met the person concerned could be tackled. Now (by order of
Mrs T?)

Who has now been out of power longer than she was in it, and can only
be blamed for things by the most rabid of bigots.

She set the precedent, and ever since then there's been an obsession
with providing the cheapest rather than a best service

Hit the nail on the head.

Hmm.

British Telecom before Mrs T - 6 months to wait for a (noisy) phone.
British Telecom after Mrs T - 2 days to wait for a good phone plus many
alternatives.

After Mrs T complaints rocket about service and its quality..

Electricity companies before Mrs T - overcharged.
Electricity companies after Mrs T - highly competive pricing.

With appalling serive. You get what you pay for.

British made cars before Mrs T - unreliable, expensive.
British made cars after Mrs T - even Vauxhalls work reliably and are
actually proportionally cheaper.

After Mrs T virtually no British car industry. Most "British" made cars
rebadged Continental makes.

Restuarants before Mrs T - crap and utter crap.
Restaurants after Mrs T - more top quality places than anywhere other than
France

No accounting for taste. I never saw any quality in Chesterfield at all.

IMM July 28th 04 01:51 AM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Huge
writes
Tony Bryer writes:
In article , Jerry Built wrote:
Our "inefficient state system with filthy hospitals" is relied
upon by private healthcare providers in many, many cases.

I suspect that this is the key problem. When cleaners were directly
employed by the hospital you probably had the same person looking
after the same areas for year on year and if the required standards
were not met the person concerned could be tackled. Now (by order of
Mrs T?)

Who has now been out of power longer than she was in it, and can only
be blamed for things by the most rabid of bigots.

She set the precedent, and ever since then there's been an obsession
with providing the cheapest rather than a best service

Good one Maxie. Clear thinking. Amazing what some R&R can do.

IMM July 28th 04 01:54 AM

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
I would far rather make my own choices regarding where I buy my
healthcare rather than having an inefficient state system with
filthy hospitals do it for me.

Our "inefficient state system with filthy hospitals" is relied
upon by private healthcare providers in many, many cases.

Not by me, it isn't. I wouldn't go near an NHS hospital if I could
possibly avoid it.

Please keep away and waste your money on paying twice and on super expensive
power tools that stay in the cupboard most of the year.

IMM July 28th 04 01:58 AM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Gordon Henderson" wrote in message ...

Eureka! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Hey, I was just about to say that!

Another method, is just to assume an average density of 1000 kg/m^3 so

if
the body weighs, say, 80kg the volume must be fairly close to 80

litres.

Anyway, why does the OP want to know?

Obesity is big problem. The government is outlawing it by restricting the
fatty foods fatties eat. Soon fatties will be totally out of order for
being what they are - which isl be a menace to society.

Does that mean you need a new gimp suit?

Maxie, is that what you used on R&R.

IMM July 28th 04 01:59 AM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

"raden" wrote in message
In message , RichardS
writes
"IMM" wrote in message

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Gordon Henderson" wrote in message

Eureka! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Hey, I was just about to say that!

Another method, is just to assume an average density of 1000 kg/m^3

so
if
the body weighs, say, 80kg the volume must be fairly close to 80

litres.

Anyway, why does the OP want to know?

Obesity is big problem. The government is outlawing it by restricting

the
fatty foods fatties eat. Soon fatties will be totally out of order for
being what they are - which is a menace to society.

Define obesity.

/me looks at self in mirror

Maxie, you a menace.

IMM July 28th 04 02:00 AM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes

"Grunff" wrote in message
Bob Eager wrote:

But make sure you seal up all orifices first - gaffer tape will do...

I suggest IMM as a subject...

If IMM is doing it, he could just wear his gimp suit. No gaffer tape
required.

What's a gimp suit? Is this trendy around your way?

It's that thing hanging up next to the handcuffs and whip in your
wardrobe

My God Maxie! Did they allow you to take them through customs?

IMM July 28th 04 02:08 AM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

"raden" wrote in message
In message , John Powell
writes

Even John Reid admitted that for
some people smoking is their only
pleasure.

Pleasure?? The pleasure is perceived. It is the relief of the withdrawal
symptoms of the drug nicotine.

The working class smoke more per capita than any other class. Many actually
think it is a luxury and pleasurable. It is neither. It is difficult to
get the working class to adopt a healthy lifestyle. Is Mr Reads
constituency predominantly working class? If smoking was banned in pubs he
may loose votes. Politics is a dirty game.

Talking of which , I gave up smoking today

So having stated that in public, I'll look a right tit if I don't
succeed

(so if posts get more ratty than normal, you know why)

Maxie, so the combination of you being just you, the Far East R&R wearing
off and craving for a drug means you will get worse than what you are?

IMM July 28th 04 02:13 AM

"G&M" wrote in message

"tony sayer" wrote in message
Well I was talking to a very senior nursing manager the other week, a
friend of my first wife, who has been in both the NHS and the private
sector and she still swears that NHS treatment is superior medically.

Of course you get a lot more attention in the private sector, but she
was adamant that if anything was seriously wrong with her then NHS it
will be!...

At the end of the day it's the same consultants. Only in the private

sector
you can guarantee it IS the consultant who does the whole job, not just
starts you off and checks his underlings have sewn things up right at the
end

But key thing is infections. NHS hospitals are filthy, private ones

aren't.

Nonsense. You have been reading the Daily Mail. People like you are easy to
condition.

Given that 5 to 10,000 people die of infections picked up in hospitals

each
year I know where I prefer.

"hospitals". There are infections in private hospitals as germs don't know
the difference. One thing about a private hospital. Don't get seriously
sick at night. They don't have 24 hour cover. You may find yourself being
sent to the local NHS hospital if you take a serious turn for the worse.
They have a good wine list though.

IMM July 28th 04 02:15 AM

Tony Bryer writes:
[...]

How do you know? You go to a private one. Nice wine list eh?

Andy Hall July 28th 04 08:15 AM

OT - How could the volume of a person be found?

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:15:13 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .

Tony Bryer writes:
[...]

Periodically I have attempted to use the NHS. For one reason or
another it fails to deliver..... Waiting for appointments,
cancellations, inadequate time with consultants, waiting again for
follow up appointments, filthy environments,.... the catalogue is
endless. I don't want to pay for that nonsense. Simple.