michael cane

Default SOS - Laminate floor quickie

Wife has ordered and had delivered 40+ sq metres of click laminate. Last
time I laid this stuff it was all glued together.

I will start in top left hand corner of room and work across to right.

Question: Each board, viewed from above is an oblong, approx. 7 x 48
inches. 1 short and 1 long adjacent side have a larger green 'tongue',
creating corner 'x', the other long and short adjacent sides have a smaller
'groove', creating corner 'Y'. .

Which corner of the board goes into the corner of the room - or in other
words, which way is up? If the tongue corner is up, presumably the tongues
on the first row all have to be cut off to accomodate the spacer? If the
groove is up, then am I right in thinking that you just need to put the
spacers in?

Or does it not matter in the slightest?

No doubt this is as clear as mud, but hopefully someone will know what I
mean.

Tongue Here
` X ________________________________________
Tongue |

Here |________________________________________| Y
Groove here

Groove Here

TIA

Nozza

Hehe!

I don't reckon it matters - but would like to be proved wrong!

I always lay the tongue "into" the room, then when you get to the far
wall and cut that last inch off, you trim a bit with the tongue.

HTH

Noz
Josey

"michael cane" wrote in message
Wife has ordered and had delivered 40+ sq metres of click laminate. Last
time I laid this stuff it was all glued together.

Sometimes it's still a good idea to glue it, to seal the joins, if it is in
a very wet/humid environment (kitchen/bathroom). See what the manufacturer
recommends.

I will start in top left hand corner of room and work across to right.

You are jumping to a conclusion here, there is a best direction to lay it.
See the web reference at the bottom of the reply.

Question: Each board, viewed from above is an oblong, approx. 7 x 48
inches. 1 short and 1 long adjacent side have a larger green 'tongue',
creating corner 'x', the other long and short adjacent sides have a

smaller
'groove', creating corner 'Y'. .

Which corner of the board goes into the corner of the room - or in other
words, which way is up?

The corner with both grooves goes into the corner of the room. Just play
with it a bit and you'll understand why. As you are kneeling down looking at
the stuff the tongue-tongue corner should be on the right, near you.

If the tongue corner is up, presumably the tongues
on the first row all have to be cut off to accomodate the spacer?

It's not.

If the groove is up, then am I right in thinking that you just need to put

the
spacers in?

Yes, I guess, it depends how you are finishing it, after all this is a
floating floor. Could have a cork edge, or be under skirting or cabinets
etc, or have corner strip (like upside down coving) added after.

Or does it not matter in the slightest?

It does. If you start with the tounge-gtounge in the corner it won't click
together properly. And you'd need pullers to put in the last pieces. It's a
good idea to have a puller anyway (shaped bit of metal).

No doubt this is as clear as mud, but hopefully someone will know what I
mean.

Tongue Here

ascii art snipped

Read ALL of this, but especially section 5 for you particular query:

http://www.interdiy.co.uk/articles/c...nate_floor.php

Do read the bit about underlay, if you don't have any.

Hope this helps (so would a radial arm and band saw).

Jc.

Mike Mitchell

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 21:47:20 +0100, "michael cane"
wrote:

Wife has ordered and had delivered 40+ sq metres of click laminate. Last
time I laid this stuff it was all glued together.

And that's the only kind I use! I looked at the click stuff and didn't
like it at all. I believe that you get a much tighter finish by being
able to push the joints together (I use wedges on sections of the
floor, then allow the glue to go "off" for a while before doing the
next. Also, the non-click variety seems to be considered "inferior",
therefore is often the cheapest!

MM

wrote:

Wife has ordered and had delivered 40+ sq metres of click laminate. Last
time I laid this stuff it was all glued together.

Then it's her problem let her sort it out.