Simon

Default Restoring a tiled floor - part 2!!

OK, so the only responses I had from my last posting were two replies
that both said - don't do it! Conserve what's there, don't restore.

Too late for that! One session with a floor scrubber later and all the
muck that accumulated on the floor over the last 80 years or so is now
down the sink! Tooke 3 sessions to clean!

Anyway, I know that I now have to seal the porous floor tiles - Could I
use diluted Unibond or should I use a specific Tile Floor sealer?

The tile floor sealers say to leave the flor a few days to dry out
thoroughly - if I used diluted Unibond, would this still be the case?

Cheers!!!

Simon

Grunff

Simon wrote:
OK, so the only responses I had from my last posting were two replies
that both said - don't do it! Conserve what's there, don't restore.

Too late for that! One session with a floor scrubber later and all the
muck that accumulated on the floor over the last 80 years or so is now
down the sink! Tooke 3 sessions to clean!

Anyway, I know that I now have to seal the porous floor tiles - Could I
use diluted Unibond or should I use a specific Tile Floor sealer?

Don't use PVA (UniBond). Use a terracotta tile sealer, such as one of
the Lithofin products:
http://www.lithofin.de/products.asp?pkid=2

--
Grunff
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Simon" writes:
OK, so the only responses I had from my last posting were two replies
that both said - don't do it! Conserve what's there, don't restore.

Too late for that! One session with a floor scrubber later and all the
muck that accumulated on the floor over the last 80 years or so is now
down the sink! Tooke 3 sessions to clean!

I don't think we said not to clean it, just warned you about
the ongoing work if you subsequently dress it.

Anyway, I know that I now have to seal the porous floor tiles - Could I
use diluted Unibond or should I use a specific Tile Floor sealer?

I suspect using Unibond (PVA) would be a disaster. It's a
glue which softens when it gets wet (probably excellent for
glueing your muddy footprints to the floor) and isn't transparent
enough to use on something where you expect to see through it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Leaving access to stop tap behind tiled surface N. Thornton UK diy 0 December 9th 04 05:00 PM
Tiled Window Sills mlv UK diy 6 November 4th 04 07:53 AM
tiled shower tray william UK diy 19 July 28th 04 09:03 AM
New roof; slate or tiled N. Thornton UK diy 0 October 26th 03 02:18 PM
Restoring old Oak OzSawdust Woodworking 1 September 19th 03 10:25 AM