Andrew Welham

Default pergola and lap joints

If I need to join two pieces of wood to make the overall length of a
pergola longer than each individual piece of wood , would a half lap
join be the correct method ?

If so how do i stop water getting in between the joints ?

In addition would coach bolts be a recommended method to ensure the
horizontal pieces did not move from the vertical posts?

Thanks
Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with . moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna
Rick

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:00:44 +0100, Andrew Welham
wrote:

If I need to join two pieces of wood to make the overall length of a
pergola longer than each individual piece of wood , would a half lap
join be the correct method ?

If so how do i stop water getting in between the joints ?

In addition would coach bolts be a recommended method to ensure the
horizontal pieces did not move from the vertical posts?

Thanks
Andrew

This joint will not be as strong as unjoined single bit. I buy floor
joists for this type of activity, most builders merchants deliver.

Rick

andrewpreece

wrote:

If I need to join two pieces of wood to make the overall length of a
pergola longer than each individual piece of wood , would a half lap
join be the correct method ?

If so how do i stop water getting in between the joints ?

In addition would coach bolts be a recommended method to ensure the
horizontal pieces did not move from the vertical posts?

If you have to join two beams, try this method:-

Cut horizontally along the centre of one of the beam ends, for about a foot.
Now cut down from the top of that beam at an angle of 45 degrees until
you intercept your initial lengthwise cut - make sure you cut at the correct
sort of 45 degrees, i.e. so you end up with an internal angle of wood.
Slice the , oh stuff it, I'll try some ascii art, it never works but here
goes.

---------------------/
/
/-------------------/
/
-----------------------------------/

Cut one beam as shown, ( side view shown ) then the other to fit this
exactly.
Make the cuts at 45 degrees, the angles shown above are all I can get with
ascii art.
You could stick a couple of long screws through the joins, along with
waterproof
exterior glue to add stregth.

Andy.

John Rumm

andrewpreece wrote:

Slice the , oh stuff it, I'll try some ascii art, it never works but here
goes.

---------------------/
/
/-------------------/
/
-----------------------------------/

Hmm, let me fix that for you
(monospaced font and no tabs is the trick) ;-)

-------------------/
/
/-------------------/
/
-----------------------------------/

AKA a scarf joint... another version (cuts would be smooth and not
stepped in real life!)
A B
// //
------------------- -----------------------------
/ /___
---___ ---___
---___ ---
/ /
-----------------------------/ /------------------
// //
// //
// //
A B

Bolts right through at A and B (countersink the heads flush if you
want), waterproof wood glue in the joint first.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Jeff wrote:

Yup , thats it, just had a play with OE view, text size and using the
different settings you can make them all correct in turn, which means ascii
art is pointless as everyone has different settings / readers

Yes, you are right. However, there _is_ a common standard for ascii art
- it must be rendered with a monospaced font (i.e. non proportional).
You also need to use hard spaces to position items since tabs are not a
fixed size but can be interpreted differently at whim.

Have a look at a posting on google groups:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ecca883967b539
http://tinyurl.com/4cqen

That shows you how most folks will see it.

If you use a proportional font (as OE does by default) then you have the
problem that it will look wrong for anyone else not using the same font
on the same platform - and in some cases you may find that getting the
same representation on another platform is impossible. Whereas just
about every platform has the option display a monospaced font.

If you routinely read news with a proportional font, you can switch to
just about any fixed width one, and get the desired result when a
diagram makes no sense. If however you read with a fixed font but need
the switch to a proportional one to view a diagram, you then have the
problem of which proportional font to choose since they will all make it
look different!

--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew Welham

Jeff wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

andrewpreece wrote:

Slice the , oh stuff it, I'll try some ascii art, it never works but

here

goes.

---------------------/
/
/-------------------/
/
-----------------------------------/

Hmm, let me fix that for you
(monospaced font and no tabs is the trick) ;-)

-------------------/
/
/-------------------/
/
-----------------------------------/

surely it should be like this :- (if it works)

--------------------/
/
/

btw as said before I would use a floor joist and not have a join

Regards Jeff

Jeff
One part may have forgotten to mention is that the joint would be on
top of a post, to support the weight, I would never dream of making a
joint between posts.

Andrew