andrewpreece

"Rick" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:00:44 +0100, Andrew Welham
wrote:

If I need to join two pieces of wood to make the overall length of a
pergola longer than each individual piece of wood , would a half lap
join be the correct method ?

If so how do i stop water getting in between the joints ?

In addition would coach bolts be a recommended method to ensure the
horizontal pieces did not move from the vertical posts?

If you have to join two beams, try this method:-

Cut horizontally along the centre of one of the beam ends, for about a foot.
Now cut down from the top of that beam at an angle of 45 degrees until
you intercept your initial lengthwise cut - make sure you cut at the correct
sort of 45 degrees, i.e. so you end up with an internal angle of wood.
Slice the , oh stuff it, I'll try some ascii art, it never works but here
goes.

---------------------/
/
/-------------------/
/

Cut one beam as shown, ( side view shown ) then the other to fit this
exactly.
Make the cuts at 45 degrees, the angles shown above are all I can get with
ascii art.
You could stick a couple of long screws through the joins, along with
waterproof
exterior glue to add stregth.

Andy.