Peter Gray

Default Need an engineer?

Not strictly a DIY Q. as I'll be getting a builder to do the work, but any
views appreciated. I've got an engineer looking at our house next week to
specify work on removal of a chimney. We also want to put in a few new (not
replacement) windows and move a door. I'm assuming at present that creating a
typical 3ft wide window can be done by a competent builder without need for an
engineer's advice (and that building control will be happy with that) as long
as we ensure that a decent lintel is put in. However, we might also want to
widen an existing window so it would be perhaps 2-2.5m wide. So I guess my
question is, should I be getting the engineer to specify on the windows too,
and if not, at what sort of scale would I need to involve one, or would
building control expect one to be used?

We're not planning to use an architect ATM, and are relying on the engineer to
specify the significant structural stuff.

Peter

G&M

"Peter Gray" wrote in message
. ..
Not strictly a DIY Q. as I'll be getting a builder to do the work, but any
views appreciated. I've got an engineer looking at our house next week to
specify work on removal of a chimney. We also want to put in a few new

(not
replacement) windows and move a door. I'm assuming at present that

creating a
typical 3ft wide window can be done by a competent builder without need

for an
engineer's advice (and that building control will be happy with that)

If you've got one of the BCOs I deal with, he'll want all the calculations
in triplicate even for a 27" doorway.

However, we might also want to
widen an existing window so it would be perhaps 2-2.5m wide. So I guess my
question is, should I be getting the engineer to specify on the windows

too,
and if not, at what sort of scale would I need to involve one, or would
building control expect one to be used?

That's getting to a serious width and needs proper calculations.

We're not planning to use an architect ATM, and are relying on the

engineer to
specify the significant structural stuff.

What do architects know about loading ? You are relying on the right guy !

Hugo Nebula

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:52:30 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
"G&M" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

"Peter Gray" wrote in message

If you've got one of the BCOs I deal with, he'll want all the calculations
in triplicate even for a 27" doorway.

However, we might also want to
widen an existing window so it would be perhaps 2-2.5m wide. So I guess my
question is, should I be getting the engineer to specify on the windows

too,

No BCO I know would worry about a simply supported beam for less than
a couple of metres. Anything over that, and it may well depend on the
BCOs experience, etc. as to whether he's prepared to accept your
chosen section without substantiation. It depends more on the
distribution of loads over; for example if you have a beam bearing
onto the wall immediately above where you want to install the lintel,
then calculations will almost certainly be asked for.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is,"if no-one on the internet wants
G&M

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message
If you've got one of the BCOs I deal with, he'll want all the

calculations
in triplicate even for a 27" doorway.

No BCO I know would worry about a simply supported beam for less than
a couple of metres.

If I give you his name and contact telephone number can you explain this to
him. I have had to produce calculations for three doors. One I agree with
because there is a purlin above it but the other two are simple walls, one
with a couple of joist three layers of brick up. Naylors (the lintel
suppliers) couldn't believe it either and did the calculations for me.

None of these were even for new doorways, they were replacing existing doors
where the (slowly trotting) doorframes were used as the lintels.

Anything over that, and it may well depend on the
BCOs experience, etc. as to whether he's prepared to accept your
chosen section without substantiation. It depends more on the
distribution of loads over; for example if you have a beam bearing
onto the wall immediately above where you want to install the lintel,
then calculations will almost certainly be asked for.

Totally agree. No problem with this. Just wanting common sense on more
normal loadings.

Peter Gray

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll ring the BCO tomorrow to sound him
out before I see the engineer. The ceilings are pretty high, so there are
probably 6-8 courses of brick above the top of any possible lintels and any
floor joists, and no beams or RSJs above any of the proposed sites either so
hopefully we won't have any problems.

Peter