Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Peter Gray

Default Need an engineer?

Not strictly a DIY Q. as I'll be getting a builder to do the work, but any
views appreciated. I've got an engineer looking at our house next week to
specify work on removal of a chimney. We also want to put in a few new (not
replacement) windows and move a door. I'm assuming at present that creating a
typical 3ft wide window can be done by a competent builder without need for an
engineer's advice (and that building control will be happy with that) as long
as we ensure that a decent lintel is put in. However, we might also want to
widen an existing window so it would be perhaps 2-2.5m wide. So I guess my
question is, should I be getting the engineer to specify on the windows too,
and if not, at what sort of scale would I need to involve one, or would
building control expect one to be used?

We're not planning to use an architect ATM, and are relying on the engineer to
specify the significant structural stuff.

Peter