G&M

Default Need an engineer?

"Peter Gray" wrote in message
. ..
Not strictly a DIY Q. as I'll be getting a builder to do the work, but any
views appreciated. I've got an engineer looking at our house next week to
specify work on removal of a chimney. We also want to put in a few new

(not
replacement) windows and move a door. I'm assuming at present that

creating a
typical 3ft wide window can be done by a competent builder without need

for an
engineer's advice (and that building control will be happy with that)

If you've got one of the BCOs I deal with, he'll want all the calculations
in triplicate even for a 27" doorway.

However, we might also want to
widen an existing window so it would be perhaps 2-2.5m wide. So I guess my
question is, should I be getting the engineer to specify on the windows

too,
and if not, at what sort of scale would I need to involve one, or would
building control expect one to be used?

That's getting to a serious width and needs proper calculations.

We're not planning to use an architect ATM, and are relying on the

engineer to
specify the significant structural stuff.

What do architects know about loading ? You are relying on the right guy !