dave

Default Plasma or led screen

Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v. I recall reading on an old thread,
that I can't find, that they produce some heat. I don't intend to
mount it in an enclosure so don,t think this will be a problem. What
does concern me is its possible weight and type of fixing to the wall.
I was considering using m10 expanding type rawbolt.
It will be fixed above an unused chimney opening to old stock type
bricks.
Will the rawbolts hold it or would a resin based bolt fixing be
preferrable ?
Your thought or opinions appreciated.
Nick Brooks

dave wrote:
Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v. I recall reading on an old thread,
that I can't find, that they produce some heat. I don't intend to
mount it in an enclosure so don,t think this will be a problem. What
does concern me is its possible weight and type of fixing to the wall.
I was considering using m10 expanding type rawbolt.
It will be fixed above an unused chimney opening to old stock type
bricks.
Will the rawbolts hold it or would a resin based bolt fixing be
preferrable ?
Your thought or opinions appreciated.

Unrelated advice but I suggest you think about fixing it lower down.
Eyeline when seated is usually below 1m and it's more comfortable to
look downwards than upwards so I'd suggest you keep the top of the
screen below 1m.

You often see flat screens in design mags mounted where a picture would
be but that's because it looks good in photographs not because it's
pleasant to watch sitting down.

Nick Brooks
Grunff

dave wrote:
Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v. I recall reading on an old thread,
that I can't find, that they produce some heat. I don't intend to
mount it in an enclosure so don,t think this will be a problem. What
does concern me is its possible weight and type of fixing to the wall.
I was considering using m10 expanding type rawbolt.
It will be fixed above an unused chimney opening to old stock type
bricks.

They aren't that heavy - nowhere near as heavy as a biggish radiator
full of water. The brackets that come with them usually allow for 3
screws per bracket. As long as you use sensible sized screds (say 60mm+
no8/10) with wall plugs it will be more than adequate.

As for he heat, yes, they do produce some heat. Maybe 400W at a guess
for a 42". But again, this isn't anywhere near as much as a radiator :-)

--
Grunff
Mungo \one shed\ Toadfoot

Steve Firth wrote:
dave wrote:

Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v.

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Si

Grunff

Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot wrote:

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Not quite that bad - but they are power hungry and I don't particularly
like the display 'quality' (colour, pizel size/edge definition).

Can't beat a nice projector.

--
Grunff

Nick Brooks

Grunff wrote:
snip
Can't beat a nice projector.

What with a lamp life of 3000 hours, noisy fans, image distortions if
not projected centrally onto a flat screen and limited contrast?

Give me a nice CRT any day :-)

Nick Brooks
Grunff

Nick Brooks wrote:

What with a lamp life of 3000 hours

Lamps are cheap.

noisy fans

All but the cheapest projectors are pretty quiet these days, certainly
not loud enough to be heard when watching a film.

image distortions if
not projected centrally onto a flat screen

I'll give you that one - but a permanent mounting means you can get it
just right.

and limited contrast?

Can't agree with that.

Give me a nice CRT any day :-)

Oddly enough that's what we have ;-). The 32" fits into the room just great.

--
Grunff
Alan

"Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Steve Firth wrote:
dave wrote:

Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v.

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Si

I believe this is a common myth. Quick web search found this, which suggests
21 years if used an average of 4 hours per day:

http://www.plasmatelevisionreview.com/buyingtips.aspx

OTOH, if used 24/7 then they will only last upto 5 years.

Alan.

Nick Brooks

Grunff wrote:
snip

and limited contrast?

Can't agree with that.

Things seem to have changed more rapidly than I realised. I've just
found a Barco projector with a contrast ration 15,000:1!!!!!

Mind you it does cost £8,000 so it should be good

Nick Brooks
Alan

Steve Firth wrote:
dave wrote:

Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v.

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Si

I believe this is a common myth. Quick web search found this, which

suggests
21 years if used an average of 4 hours per day:

http://www.plasmatelevisionreview.com/buyingtips.aspx

OTOH, if used 24/7 then they will only last upto 5 years.

Alan.

A better explanation:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...-lifespan.html

Dave Gibson

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:
snip

and limited contrast?

Can't agree with that.

Things seem to have changed more rapidly than I realised. I've just
found a Barco projector with a contrast ration 15,000:1!!!!!

Mind you it does cost £8,000 so it should be good

Nick Brooks

How does it do that then?
Seeing as the blackest black you get will be the intensity of the white
screen under your ambient lighting!

Dave

jonni

Steve Firth wrote:
dave wrote:

Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v.

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Si

Depending on use but yes, plasma will be superceded by LCD TVs

Jonni

mike ring

Grunff wrote in :

They aren't that heavy - nowhere near as heavy as a biggish radiator
full of water. The brackets that come with them usually allow for 3
screws per bracket. As long as you use sensible sized screds (say 60mm+
no8/10) with wall plugs it will be more than adequate.

As for he heat, yes, they do produce some heat. Maybe 400W at a guess
for a 42". But again, this isn't anywhere near as much as a radiator :-)

Anyone care to widen the discussion to include LCD screens, which are now
coming on the market in bigger sizes - 32 to 42"

I would be interested in any experience and I expect
OP dave would be too

mike
Chip C

Steve Firth wrote:
dave wrote:

Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v.

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Si

There's a comparison table of the various screen technologies at

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...P_plasma8.html

(The link is to a table at the end of the article).

They suggest nominal lifespans for plasma at 25k-35k hours, compared
to 50k-75k for LCD (the backlight it what goes, as many laptop owners
will attest) and 80k+ for CRTs. Earlier in the article they suggest
that plasma is a stopgap technology that will disappear as the big
LCDs get brighter and cheaper.

Chip C
G&M

"jonni" wrote in message

Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v.

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Si

Depending on use but yes, plasma will be superceded by LCD TVs

Nope - plasma will be superceded by polymer - currently in R&D and early
prototype phase.

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:58:25 +0100, Dave Gibson wrote:

Things seem to have changed more rapidly than I realised. I've just
found a Barco projector with a contrast ration 15,000:1!!!!!

Mind you it does cost =A38,000 so it should be good

How does it do that then?
Seeing as the blackest black you get will be the intensity of the
white screen under your ambient lighting!

Easy, no ambient lighting. B-)

Another problem with LCD and plasma screens is the several frame delay
they introduce into the picture. AFAIK not many come with audio delay
lines to similary delay the audio, you may find you have to get yet
another box to delay the audio. Unless picture late by sevral frames
doesn't bother you.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Lee

Chip C wrote:

They suggest nominal lifespans for plasma at 25k-35k hours, compared
to 50k-75k for LCD (the backlight it what goes, as many laptop owners
will attest) and 80k+ for CRTs. Earlier in the article they suggest
that plasma is a stopgap technology that will disappear as the big
LCDs get brighter and cheaper.

Hitachi are claiming 60K hours for their latest plasma panels...

I'm not convinced that the screen burn issues are resolved though, even
with the picture shifting etc, methods employed to attempt to limit the
effect.

Lee

--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
jonni wrote:
Depending on use but yes, plasma will be superceded by LCD TVs

Where the permissible viewing angle is still poor.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Default Plasma or led screen affect of heat fromn fireplace?

I was thinking of putting a plasma or LCS screen over a fireplace with a
gas fire - would the heat from the fire affect the screen? There would
be a mantlepiece.

Freefall

!^NavFont02F008A0007NGHHG8B0492

The Natural Philosopher

Grunff wrote:

dave wrote:

[...]

But is about the same as an aga, which heats the whole house at this
time of year...and a 30 sq meter kitchen in winter...

The Natural Philosopher

Steve Firth wrote:

dave wrote:

Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v.

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Si

Depending on use but yes, plasma will be superceded by LCD TVs

I think you will find it a race: There is better flat screen technology
than LCD - and cheaper - in the pipleine. Estimated 5 years to market.

Jonni

The Natural Philosopher

G&M wrote:

"jonni" wrote in message

Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v.

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Si

Depending on use but yes, plasma will be superceded by LCD TVs

Nope - plasma will be superceded by polymer - currently in R&D and early
prototype phase.

Mmm. Not necessarily. Polyemers haven't yet got the full color and full
lifetime.

G&M

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
Another problem with LCD and plasma screens is the several frame delay
they introduce into the picture.

I notice the television companies can't even manage to keep the two in sync
always nowadays anyway.

raden

In message , Grunff
writes
Mungo "one shed" Toadfoot wrote:

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*
Really?

Not quite that bad - but they are power hungry and I don't particularly
like the display 'quality' (colour, pizel size/edge definition).

Can't beat a nice projector.

Seconded, apart from the noise of the cooling fan

--
geoff
raden

In message , Nick Brooks
writes
Grunff wrote:
snip
Can't beat a nice projector.

What with a lamp life of 3000 hours,

A limitation

noisy fans,

Er yes

image distortions if not projected centrally onto a flat screen

Mine has correction for this

and limited contrast?

Not too bad

Give me a nice CRT any day :-)

Give me a 6' [1] picture when it's a film or whatever

For run of the mill stuff, yeah I watch the 32" in the corner

[1] - limited by the size of the room

--
geoff

raden

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:58:25 +0100, Dave Gibson wrote:

Things seem to have changed more rapidly than I realised. I've just
found a Barco projector with a contrast ration 15,000:1!!!!!

Mind you it does cost £8,000 so it should be good

How does it do that then?
Seeing as the blackest black you get will be the intensity of the
white screen under your ambient lighting!

Easy, no ambient lighting. B-)

Another problem with LCD and plasma screens is the several frame delay
they introduce into the picture. AFAIK not many come with audio delay
lines to similary delay the audio, you may find you have to get yet
another box to delay the audio. Unless picture late by sevral frames
doesn't bother you.

Several frames - 1/8th of a second, I can handle that
--
geoff
G&M

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message news:cd6rfc$r5m$4
Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of
fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v.

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Si

Depending on use but yes, plasma will be superceded by LCD TVs

Nope - plasma will be superceded by polymer - currently in R&D and early
prototype phase.

Mmm. Not necessarily. Polyemers haven't yet got the full color and full
lifetime.

There's some stuff coming (one day) from Cambridge that will change your
mind. Certainly haven't got round to extending lifetime yet but colour is
remarkable.

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:30:22 GMT, raden wrote:

Several frames - 1/8th of a second, I can handle that

Oh gawd, most people will spot at poor lip sync at 1 frame out and
think something is "odd", 2 frames is obvious and fairly easy to tell
if the pictures are late or early. 3 frames is terrible and most off
putting.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Ian Stirling

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:58:25 +0100, Dave Gibson wrote:

Things seem to have changed more rapidly than I realised. I've just
found a Barco projector with a contrast ration 15,000:1!!!!!

Mind you it does cost ?8,000 so it should be good

How does it do that then?
Seeing as the blackest black you get will be the intensity of the
white screen under your ambient lighting!

Easy, no ambient lighting. B-)

Even that's basically a lie.
You're going to get only a contrast of a few hundred at most in most
houses, as the light will reflect off the walls.
15000:1 is only going to be achieved if your walls are decorated in
razor-blade chiq.

Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:14:18 +0100, G&M wrote:

I notice the television companies can't even manage to keep the two
in sync always nowadays anyway.

I know and it's a right PITA, not helped by digital broadcast boxes
that throw a wobbly and can't output the pictures in sync with the
sound. I simply can't bear to watch something that is more than 2
frames out. I find it quite amazing that sync can vary within in a
prerecorded programme as well, that should be a far easier to spot and
correct than a live one. With live the path the picture takes can vary
greatly with in the orginating studio/OB and in these days of digits
can have varying amounts of delay added to it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
Another problem with LCD and plasma screens is the several frame delay
they introduce into the picture. AFAIK not many come with audio delay
lines to similary delay the audio, you may find you have to get yet
another box to delay the audio. Unless picture late by sevral frames
doesn't bother you.

Several frames - 1/8th of a second, I can handle that

The trouble is the sound is early - which just doesn't happen in nature.
Slightly late is less of a problem.

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
The Natural Philosopher

G&M wrote:

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message news:cd6rfc$r5m$4

Now reaching the end of some works to my house I am thinking of

fitting a 42" plasma screen t.v.

Waste of time and money, five year lifespan.

*Interested*

Really?

Si

Depending on use but yes, plasma will be superceded by LCD TVs

Nope - plasma will be superceded by polymer - currently in R&D and early
prototype phase.

Mmm. Not necessarily. Polyemers haven't yet got the full color and full
lifetime.

There's some stuff coming (one day) from Cambridge that will change your
mind. Certainly haven't got round to extending lifetime yet but colour is
remarkable.

They never wiil. CDT is dead in the water. Better materials exxist already.

Chris J Dixon

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
raden wrote:
Another problem with LCD and plasma screens is the several frame delay
they introduce into the picture. AFAIK not many come with audio delay
lines to similary delay the audio, you may find you have to get yet
another box to delay the audio. Unless picture late by sevral frames
doesn't bother you.

Several frames - 1/8th of a second, I can handle that

The trouble is the sound is early - which just doesn't happen in nature.
Slightly late is less of a problem.

You'll just have to sit further away :-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

G&M

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message news:cd80q2$i2v$2$
Depending on use but yes, plasma will be superceded by LCD TVs

Nope - plasma will be superceded by polymer - currently in R&D and

early
prototype phase.

Mmm. Not necessarily. Polyemers haven't yet got the full color and full
lifetime.

There's some stuff coming (one day) from Cambridge that will change your
mind. Certainly haven't got round to extending lifetime yet but colour

is
remarkable.

They never wiil. CDT is dead in the water. Better materials exxist

already.

CDT was an earlier spin-off from the Uni.

Dave Liquorice

On 15 Jul 2004 22:30:07 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

Seeing as the blackest black you get will be the intensity of the
white screen under your ambient lighting!

Easy, no ambient lighting. B-)

Even that's basically a lie.
You're going to get only a contrast of a few hundred at most in most
houses, as the light will reflect off the walls.

What light? I said "no ambient lighting" no picture from the projecter
you can't see your hand at all, not if when it touches your nose. ie
real dark, something that most people have never really experienced
these days. With light pollution, street lights, maintained emergancy
lights etc etc.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:01:45 GMT, raden wrote:

You're talking to someone who's lived many years in various foreign
countries where films are dubbed and what's spoken and what you
actually hear bear no resemblance to each other

That's a little different as the lips probably aren't making the right
shapes for the noises you are hearing but I can see that it might make
sync errors more acceptable to your brain.

Besides on Digi TV, the sound track (as someone else just mentioned)
is quite often way out of sync with the picture anyway,

Think thats was me... B-) A channel change should bring an errant
digi TV box back into line.

It might be something you'll have to get used to

Sadly I have a feeling you might be right. B-(

--
Dave Liquorice MIBS
Broadcast Sound Engineer pam is missing e-mail

G&M

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On 15 Jul 2004 22:30:07 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

Seeing as the blackest black you get will be the intensity of the
white screen under your ambient lighting!

Easy, no ambient lighting. B-)

Even that's basically a lie.
You're going to get only a contrast of a few hundred at most in most
houses, as the light will reflect off the walls.

What light? I said "no ambient lighting" no picture from the projecter
you can't see your hand at all, not if when it touches your nose. ie
real dark, something that most people have never really experienced
these days. With light pollution, street lights, maintained emergancy
lights etc etc.

And the red 'on' led on the back of the projector ?

G&M

"raden" wrote in message
Besides on Digi TV, the sound track (as someone else just mentioned) is
quite often way out of sync with the picture anyway, It might be
something you'll have to get used to

What is driving me nuts is Grand Prix from North and South America. Don't
know what video encoders they use but they cannot handle a Ferrari going
from right to left and slightly down the screen to save their lives. You
notice as the race goes on they avoid those particular shots.