Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default LinuxCNC config help...

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?
I'm using the Mesa 5i25 / 7i76 combination and have much of it working,
but some various things to sort out. So much of the docs I find are
hopelessly incomplete, poorly written, not updated in 2-3 years, etc.
This should / would be relatively easy if the docs weren't so bad. I'm
running the latest 2.6.3 package installed from a USB drive onto a SSD
disk in a reasonably fast PC.

Thanks,

Pete C.

PS: Once the lathe is sorted the next project will be to retrofit the
mill with a 5i25 / 7i77 combo and add 4th axis. I acquired a
super-spacer that will make a decent 4th if I can find a good servo
motor and encoder for it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:42:53 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

I've looked there as well as the LinuxCNC.org forum and still haven't
found good references. The LinuxCNC.org forum doesn't seem to be posting
properly either.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

I've looked there as well as the LinuxCNC.org forum and still haven't
found good references. The LinuxCNC.org forum doesn't seem to be posting
properly either.

is working, I think

Nope, I sent email there, and subscribed to the list as well, and it's
not showing up. WTF? Every so called support site for LinuxCNC seems to
be pure crap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

I've looked there as well as the LinuxCNC.org forum and still haven't
found good references. The LinuxCNC.org forum doesn't seem to be posting
properly either.

is working, I think

Nope, I sent email there, and subscribed to the list as well, and it's
not showing up. WTF? Every so called support site for LinuxCNC seems to
be pure crap.

I received four messages on that list, today.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

BTW, suggestions on the software end for lathe code? I use TurboCAD, and
have been using SheetCAM for milling.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BTW, suggestions on the software end for lathe code? I use TurboCAD, and
have been using SheetCAM for milling.

I pretty much hand code lathes. Almost no such thing as a complex
gcode for lathe. I do use a program called NCplot to give me a gcode
of the final profile. It imports a .dxf file and outputs gcode. You
have to edit in tool changes etc. but its quick 'n easy on a lathe. i
should add, I pretty much hand code mills too. just how I was brought
up.

My son is a professional user of Mastercam and Tebis, if I ever needed
it. Maybe you should get Tebis, its purdy good. Cost is only $80K plus
$2K a quarter for support.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

BTW, suggestions on the software end for lathe code? I use TurboCAD, and
have been using SheetCAM for milling.

I pretty much hand code lathes. Almost no such thing as a complex
gcode for lathe. I do use a program called NCplot to give me a gcode
of the final profile. It imports a .dxf file and outputs gcode. You
have to edit in tool changes etc. but its quick 'n easy on a lathe. i
should add, I pretty much hand code mills too. just how I was brought
up.

My son is a professional user of Mastercam and Tebis, if I ever needed
it. Maybe you should get Tebis, its purdy good. Cost is only $80K plus
$2K a quarter for support.

Karl

I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...

Yep, I just tryed my CAD to NCplot and that don't work. I don't have a
way to engrave without asking my son to do it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...

I spent close to a year hand-coding the common office fonts for this
ink jet printer, one dot at a time.
http://tinyurl.com/q8aalpm

The thick ink buildup around lab ink-jet test fixtures inspired 3D
printing.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16/09/14 14:13, Pete C. wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
BTW, suggestions on the software end for lathe code? I use TurboCAD, and
have been using SheetCAM for milling.

I pretty much hand code lathes. Almost no such thing as a complex
gcode for lathe. I do use a program called NCplot to give me a gcode
of the final profile. It imports a .dxf file and outputs gcode. You
have to edit in tool changes etc. but its quick 'n easy on a lathe. i
should add, I pretty much hand code mills too. just how I was brought
up.

My son is a professional user of Mastercam and Tebis, if I ever needed
it. Maybe you should get Tebis, its purdy good. Cost is only $80K plus
$2K a quarter for support.

Karl

I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...

Years ago I used an obscure Windows API function GetGlyphOutline ()
IIRC, back in 3.1 days, to do a basic TrueType font to G code program
and it basically worked although I had been given the wrong details for
the Z direction so had it reversed. We tried it with the guy that had
asked me to do it and showed that it worked in principal but he got rid
of the machine the next day so didn't have any more opportunity to
correct the Z issue and test. The function was very badly documented and
a Windows guru said as much in his writings but hidden in the depths of
the MSDN documentation was the details of how to use it correctly from
the guru IIRC, the standard Windows API info didn't give up that secret.
I think I still have the C source code around if you're interested. I
have subsequently used the same basic code and added it into a PCB
program I wrote to allow the generation of PCBs with TrueType based
fonts to be done with Gerber or HPGL. IIRC I have recently seen a Linux
program that does TT to HPGL or G Code but can't think of the name but
have seen it a few time before so not likely hard to find.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:44:59 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

BTW, suggestions on the software end for lathe code? I use TurboCAD, and
have been using SheetCAM for milling.

I pretty much hand code lathes. Almost no such thing as a complex
gcode for lathe. I do use a program called NCplot to give me a gcode
of the final profile. It imports a .dxf file and outputs gcode. You
have to edit in tool changes etc. but its quick 'n easy on a lathe. i
should add, I pretty much hand code mills too. just how I was brought
up.

My son is a professional user of Mastercam and Tebis, if I ever needed
it. Maybe you should get Tebis, its purdy good. Cost is only $80K plus
$2K a quarter for support.

That's a per-_seat_ cost, right?

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am sorry that I am of no help, I forgot everything, my machine is
till working but I cannot advise on any new set-up