Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need a chainsaw?

You guys have to check this out! What a way
to put together a chain saw, eih? ;)}
phil

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=689_1393758243

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:03:03 PM UTC-5, Phil Kangas wrote:
You guys have to check this out! What a way

to put together a chain saw, eih? ;)}

phil

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=689_1393758243

Replace the fasteners with some thumbscrews, and it's an infomercial best-seller. If only it also made julienne fries...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 21:03:03 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

You guys have to check this out! What a way
to put together a chain saw, eih? ;)}

Where are you guys coming up with this "eih" word, anyway? I've seen
several of you use it recently. Here's the old standard spelling, and
it's more frugal, only 2 letters! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eh

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=689_1393758243

That's birch, a fairly hard hardwood. The little guy cuts quickly!
I'll bet it takes considerably fewer watts than my HF chainsaw and
might work off my solar power system with the inverter. Hmm...

Cool! I'll have to take the old bar, chain, and sprocket from the
broken Remington 14" electric and make a new saur from them as a
backup to my 14" Harbor Fright jobber. Just TIG the sprocket onto a
spare nut from the grinder, bend a few pieces of 1/4" plate and Bob's
Yer Uncle. I think I'd want to oil the hell out of it frequently,
though. It's running faster than normal, methinks.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Getting hit with a broken chin would ruin your day, and maybe your
life.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You'll notice the chain is loose on the bar too. But, still a good idea!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So would freezing to death. I'll happily admit that I have only
several days of chainsaw experience so far in this lifetime. I don't
burn wood and stacking that heavy crap is a real pain in the back.

Maybe an extra piece of sheetmetal for a hand guard is in order, too?

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
-- John Quincy Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Getting hit with a broken chain would ruin your day, and maybe
your life.

So would freezing to death. I'll happily admit that I have only
several days of chainsaw experience so far in this lifetime. I don't
burn wood and stacking that heavy crap is a real pain in the back.

Maybe an extra piece of sheetmetal for a hand guard is in order, too?

It would be, for me!

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
You guys have to check this out! What a way
to put together a chain saw, eih? ;)}
phil

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=689_1393758243

Then you can use your wood lathe....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qB6n1cm04

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Where are you guys coming up with this "eih"
word, anyway? I've seen
several of you use it recently. Here's the old
standard spelling, and
it's more frugal, only 2 letters!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eh

Pardon me but that's the way "I" say it, ay? :)}

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Getting hit with a broken chin would ruin your day, and maybe your
life.

Yeah, my saw throws the chain every once in a while when
it binds up a bit. That rig would just throw the chain
in the air like a frisbee or something, NOT too cool!

Also, it is running the chain WAY too fast, you could tell
he was levering the bar back and forth so as not to take
too wide a bite. It will BADLY overheat the chain and
then cook the motor.

Now, the guys who rigged a big logging chain & bar to
a small V8 engine, THAT was a chainsaw!!!! But, it took
two guys who could wrestle a Kodiak bear and win to pick
that saw up.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 17:09:24 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Getting hit with a broken chin would ruin your day, and maybe your
life.

Yeah, my saw throws the chain every once in a while when
it binds up a bit. That rig would just throw the chain
in the air like a frisbee or something, NOT too cool!

Also, it is running the chain WAY too fast, you could tell
he was levering the bar back and forth so as not to take
too wide a bite. It will BADLY overheat the chain and
then cook the motor.

Now, the guys who rigged a big logging chain & bar to
a small V8 engine, THAT was a chainsaw!!!! But, it took
two guys who could wrestle a Kodiak bear and win to pick
that saw up.

Jon

A 7 or 9 inch angle grinder, which is pretty clearly what he's using,
runs around 6000 RPM. Gasoline chainsaws run at 8000-12000 RPM, so the
chain speed is probably a bit lower than optimum.

Here's my hold-my-beer-and-watch-this grinder mod:
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw01.JPG

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Getting hit with a broken chin would ruin your day, and maybe your
life.

Yeah, my saw throws the chain every once in a while when
it binds up a bit. That rig would just throw the chain
in the air like a frisbee or something, NOT too cool!

Wuss! bseg

Also, it is running the chain WAY too fast, you could tell
he was levering the bar back and forth so as not to take
too wide a bite. It will BADLY overheat the chain and
then cook the motor.

I think he might have been trying to slow it down by hooking the lower
tooth into the log. It does make it cut faster, but it's not the way
to saw wood. As you say, it's hell on the motor.

Now, the guys who rigged a big logging chain & bar to
a small V8 engine, THAT was a chainsaw!!!! But, it took
two guys who could wrestle a Kodiak bear and win to pick
that saw up.

Yeah, those things are real ballbustin' CUTTIN' rigs, fer sher. g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5WO9nulOXc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9x8rBKC4BE

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
-- John Quincy Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

What part runs 8-12krpm? The sprocket? Certainly not the chain!

Here's my hold-my-beer-and-watch-this grinder mod:
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw01.JPG

WTF? 'Splain, please. Is it one of these on steroids?
http://tinyurl.com/kf3fhg6 Blade seems a bit coarse.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
-- John Quincy Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:56:06 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

wrote:

Where are you guys coming up with this "eih"
word, anyway? I've seen
several of you use it recently. Here's the old
standard spelling, and
it's more frugal, only 2 letters!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eh

Pardon me but that's the way "I" say it, ay? :)}

Eye si!

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
-- John Quincy Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques"
wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:56:06 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

wrote:

Where are you guys coming up with this "eih"
word, anyway? I've seen
several of you use it recently. Here's the
old
standard spelling, and
it's more frugal, only 2 letters!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eh

Pardon me but that's the way "I" say it, ay?
:)}

Eye si!

:)}

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

The engine and drive sprocket.

Here's my hold-my-beer-and-watch-this grinder mod:
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw01.JPG

WTF? 'Splain, please. Is it one of these on steroids?
http://tinyurl.com/kf3fhg6 Blade seems a bit coarse.

Exactly. I made it to trim the bottom of the barn doors on my shop
without removing them. The doors were dragging on the outside pad when
the frost heaved it up a bit in winter.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
You guys have to check this out! What a way
to put together a chain saw, eih? ;)}
phil

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=689_1393758243

it cuts pretty good.

there's no chain guard but he's also not behind it or standing over it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Here on South Whidbey Island we have a boat builder, Nichols Brothers
Boat Builders, that build a lot of aluminum boats. They modify angle
grinders for gouging out aluminum. These modded grinders are equipped
a carbide toothed blade. They call it the "Meat Axe". The blade isn't
the only mod. They also have a different handle for the hand that
isn't holding the main handle. They had to have the tool get the OK
from WISHA, which is a state agency similar to OSHA. In order for an
employee to use the tool thay have to go through safety training with
it..
Eric

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Ack.

Here's my hold-my-beer-and-watch-this grinder mod:
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon.../DoorSaw01.JPG

WTF? 'Splain, please. Is it one of these on steroids?
http://tinyurl.com/kf3fhg6 Blade seems a bit coarse.

Exactly. I made it to trim the bottom of the barn doors on my shop
without removing them. The doors were dragging on the outside pad when
the frost heaved it up a bit in winter.

I guess that blade worked fine for barn doors. Dunno 'bout mahogany.

I used to want one of those saws but instantly forgot it after finding
the HF Multifunction Tool. Crom, I love that little noisemaker! It
made notching for deck railings incredibly easy, and it helps with the
end cuts on holes in plywood, and 100 other things. I'm getting one
for my sister next week, and a spare for myself. I found that concrete
board dulls any blade you try to put through it, so the extra blades
alone are worth the price: They're on sale for $14.97 with coupon.
The snobs can have their $400 Feins and $150 Makitas. I'm perfectly
happy with a single-speed HF monster, thankyouverymuch.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
-- John Quincy Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

I have both carbide wheels and chainsaw heads for my 4.5" grinder.

The Lancelot blade will halve a tubafore in 5 seconds flat. Dangerous
critter! It's also good for carving, but the Kuttzall carbide wheel
is smoother and just a bit safer.

http://www.amazon.com/Arthurs-Tools-.../dp/B0000224SJ
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1ihXgmZk4

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
-- John Quincy Adams

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

When I lived on Mount Desert Island one of the local machine shops
made angle grinder attachments that the Hinckley yacht builders used
for shaping lead keels. It looked a lot like a tenon cutter, but about
4" diameter. This was in the late 1970s, I'm sure OSHA was not
involved.

The business end was similar to this.
https://www.fine-tools.com/v307810.jpg

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I guess that blade worked fine for barn doors. Dunno 'bout mahogany.

I used to want one of those saws but instantly forgot it after finding
the HF Multifunction Tool. Crom, I love that little noisemaker! It
made notching for deck railings incredibly easy, and it helps with the
end cuts on holes in plywood, and 100 other things. I'm getting one
for my sister next week

I don't know your sister, but you should be able to get a better deal
than that! ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 15:21:48 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I guess that blade worked fine for barn doors. Dunno 'bout mahogany.

I used to want one of those saws but instantly forgot it after finding
the HF Multifunction Tool. Crom, I love that little noisemaker! It
made notching for deck railings incredibly easy, and it helps with the
end cuts on holes in plywood, and 100 other things. I'm getting one
for my sister next week

I don't know your sister, but you should be able to get a better deal
than that! ;-)

Silly Suthunah. I didn't say I traded my sister for one, I said I
was purchasing one for her to use. I'd have asked for their best
lathe, welder, milling machine, English Wheel (complete), stretchers,
shrinkers, rolling mill, shear, brake, and a whole bunch of supplies
had I traded Ol' Sis in. She'da beed proud of that transaction.

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I guess that blade worked fine for barn doors. Dunno 'bout mahogany.

I used to want one of those saws but instantly forgot it after finding
the HF Multifunction Tool. Crom, I love that little noisemaker! It
made notching for deck railings incredibly easy, and it helps with the
end cuts on holes in plywood, and 100 other things. I'm getting one
for my sister next week

I don't know your sister, but you should be able to get a better deal
than that! ;-)

Silly Suthunah. I didn't say I traded my sister for one, I said I
was purchasing one for her to use. I'd have asked for their best
lathe, welder, milling machine, English Wheel (complete), stretchers,
shrinkers, rolling mill, shear, brake, and a whole bunch of supplies
had I traded Ol' Sis in. She'da beed proud of that transaction.

I may live in the south, but I wasn't born and raised there. Some
would take any offer to get shed of a sister. I only see mine about once
a year, and only for a few days at a time, so she doesn't bother me.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.