Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default grinders bite

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 22:12:54 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

A few days ago, I bought the first sanding disc for my high rpm Makita 4"
grinder that I had bought in ten years. Just don't do that much fine finish
work.

I have done hundreds of hours of using a grinder. I know the kick spots.
But I had it grinding in the 9 o/clock position of the wheel and KICK! Went
flying, and sliced the top of my left hand. Nice 2.5 inch incision, half
deep, half just along the fat line, and not down into the meat. Nice little
white things in there looking like cotton line, but didn't cut any. Lots of
flowing blood, as I am on coumadin.

SNIP

Hey Steve,

Story I've mentioned her before...I walked into a shop of a guy I
knew, and he was standing there in a white T-shirt, smoking and
shaking so bad he could hardly get the cigarette to his lips.
Actually, the T-shirt wasn't nearly as white as he was!! I thought he
was really ill. I asked if he was OK, and he sort of pointed to a
green lump of cloth on the welding table with a nice cord sticking out
of it like a tail. Wuzzup?? says I. He just pointed again at the
green lump, so I went over and tried to pick it up, but it was kinda
heavy. I unwrapped a 7" Black & Decker grinder, complete with the
side handle Turns out, he was grinding a weldment (like Gunner
does??), and he let go the trigger and his right hand to have a look
at how he was doing, and the grinder was still spinning and slipped in
his left hand and smacked him perfectly "flat" in the stomach. It
wrapped his work-shirt in the disc and the shirt just came clean off
his body. Not a mark on him except his whole back had like a mild
sun-burn.

He was just luckier than you I guess.

Take care (too, late??)

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Believe me, I did learn a lesson. And I will have about two more weeks of
looking at the stitches and healing wound to remind me. A lifetime after
that right in front of my face to remind me each time I put on the gloves.
Guess I am going to put those handles on those grinders. I do notice that I
will hold a grinder at the end with one hand, and the handle on the other.

Probably designed that way by a disabled person.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Its good if you can learn from someone else's experience . . .

I decided a long time ago to make it a habit and policy not to shift my
grip unless the grinder was well clear of the work and me and to maintain
concentration and not to put down a grinder till the disk is stopped.

Apart from better control, using the handle requires a two hand grip,
which keeps your other hand off the work and away from the disk. You
probably want the guard turned some to keep the fingers on the side
handle off the disk if your grip slips a bit the next time you get a
kick. Its also some protection if the disk grenades.

Guys who use grinders a lot may be more relaxed about handling them, but
for occasional users, we need to think safety first all the time as
otherwise we may not spot risky operations.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I decided a long time ago to make it a habit and policy not to shift my
grip unless the grinder was well clear of the work and me and to maintain
concentration and not to put down a grinder till the disk is stopped.

One of my first assignments in the Gulf of Mexico was to assist a welder.
One of the first things I got clear instructions on was to NEVER EVER lay
the grinder on the disc, or drop it on the disc. I didn't get to the part
about "while it was spinning", as I was not trusted to operate one for a
good while. Just get it and hand it to the welder, and take it from him and
sit it down. Saw more than one guy get seriously yelled at for abusing a
disc.

Steve

grinders bite Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 22 October 31st 12 05:37 PM
Mice that wouldn't take the bite R Kannan Home Ownership 9 June 4th 07 07:44 AM
Third Bite of Beech George Woodturning 3 January 28th 06 08:41 PM
Don't Let The Bedbugs Bite Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 4 December 4th 05 05:41 AM