Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Converting a manual hydraulic press to hydraulic pump

We have a very good hydraulic press, it is for sale, but I am itching
to sell all other presses and requisition this one for our use.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Dake-50-Ton-P...9/IMG_9535.JPG

The problem is that it is a manual press and we'd like it to be
powered. It is a regular manual type control with a lever style pump
and a valve.

I came across an old 3/4 HP hydraulic power unit today. It would fit
the bill perfectly and did not cost too much.

How easy is that press to convert to be used with a hydraulic power
unit?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus17155" wrote in
message ...
We have a very good hydraulic press, it is for sale, but I am
itching
to sell all other presses and requisition this one for our use.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Dake-50-Ton-P...9/IMG_9535.JPG

The problem is that it is a manual press and we'd like it to be
powered. It is a regular manual type control with a lever style pump
and a valve.

I came across an old 3/4 HP hydraulic power unit today. It would fit
the bill perfectly and did not cost too much.

How easy is that press to convert to be used with a hydraulic power
unit?

Shouldn't be any more difficult than building a logsplitter, as long
as the power unit puts out enough pressure. Do you know the maximum
and working values for the press?

Here are some Enerpac quick couplers rated for 10,000PSI:
http://baileynet.com/hydraulics/bail...tegory=1000040

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 26, 11:08*pm, Ignoramus17155 ignoramus17...@NOSPAM.
17155.invalid wrote:
We have a very good hydraulic press, it is for sale, but I am itching
to sell all other presses and requisition this one for our use.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Dake-50-Ton-P...9/IMG_9535.JPG

The problem is that it is a manual press and we'd like it to be
powered. It is a regular manual type control with a lever style pump
and a valve.

I came across an old 3/4 HP hydraulic power unit today. It would fit
the bill perfectly and did not cost too much.

How easy is that press to convert to be used with a hydraulic power
unit?

If I were doing it, I would probably use the hydraulic power to apply
only a very small pressure and still use the manual pump to do the
actual pressing. Much better control with the manual pump.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Enerpac units are PERFECT for this conversion. Taht's what i did on my
press.

You need to be able to move the cylinder one RCH at a time. The
enerpac air unit will do one stroke. Or put the peddle all the way
down and its willl move quickly.

For a 50 ton cylinder, you'll need a large capacity unit to get much
stroke.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
Enerpac units are PERFECT for this conversion. Taht's what i did on my
press.

You need to be able to move the cylinder one RCH at a time. The
enerpac air unit will do one stroke. Or put the peddle all the way
down and its willl move quickly.

For a 50 ton cylinder, you'll need a large capacity unit to get much
stroke.

Karl

Karl, what kind of unit are you talking about? Got any web links so
that I can see what are you describing?

My main concern that I am not sure how easy it is to remove the manual
lever pump, and replace it with hydraulic fittings, as it looks like
it is custom fit in there?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 09:34:50 -0500, Ignoramus16156

On 2012-07-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
Enerpac units are PERFECT for this conversion. Taht's what i did on my
press.

You need to be able to move the cylinder one RCH at a time. The
enerpac air unit will do one stroke. Or put the peddle all the way
down and its willl move quickly.

For a 50 ton cylinder, you'll need a large capacity unit to get much
stroke.

Karl

Karl, what kind of unit are you talking about? Got any web links so
that I can see what are you describing?

My main concern that I am not sure how easy it is to remove the manual
lever pump, and replace it with hydraulic fittings, as it looks like
it is custom fit in there?

Then also consider a dual-action pneumatic cylinder which would
activate the pump lever itself, utilizing the integral pump. Rig
toggles to make it reverse upon full stroke and it would be automatic
while you hold the air to it. External pneumatics would have a harder
time getting the full pressure out of the pump but would be cheaper,
by far.

Another pneumatic cylinder could be used to turn the release valve 1/4
turn for release and return.

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-27, Karl Townsend wrote:
Enerpac units are PERFECT for this conversion. Taht's what i did on my
press.

You need to be able to move the cylinder one RCH at a time. The
enerpac air unit will do one stroke. Or put the peddle all the way
down and its willl move quickly.

For a 50 ton cylinder, you'll need a large capacity unit to get much
stroke.

Karl

Karl, what kind of unit are you talking about? Got any web links so
that I can see what are you describing?

My main concern that I am not sure how easy it is to remove the manual
lever pump, and replace it with hydraulic fittings, as it looks like
it is custom fit in there?

here's what i used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/enerpac-turb...item4168b20742

its 10,000 psi, the 3,000 units are way cheaper

Then a hydraulic hose with 1/2 NPT to cylinder

You want to shop the bay a while for this, got a like new one for $150

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 08:57:25 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Enerpac units are PERFECT for this conversion. Taht's what i did on my
press.

You need to be able to move the cylinder one RCH at a time. The
enerpac air unit will do one stroke. Or put the peddle all the way
down and its willl move quickly.

For a 50 ton cylinder, you'll need a large capacity unit to get much
stroke.

Karl

Iggy,
What Karl says about the Enerpac pump is right on. I used to use a 40
ton hydraulic press with an Enerpac air over oil pump to straighten
shafts. I could feather the pump control such that the ram would only
move .001" at a time. All the electric motor powered presses I've used
haven't had such fine control. Not even close. When straightening
something once the part starts to yield only very small movements of
the ram are needed. With a system that doesn't have such fine control
it is very hard to straighten things accurately. And this fine
movement is also quite valuable when pressing in bushings and
bearings. A ram that moves too fast can easily damage and quickly
damage the parts you are trying to press. The Enerpac unit had the
double advantage of fast movement when desired when the ram is under
light load and fine control once needed.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:08:07 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus17155 wrote:
We have a very good hydraulic press, it is for sale, but I am itching

to sell all other presses and requisition this one for our use.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Dake-50-Ton-P...9/IMG_9535.JPG

The problem is that it is a manual press and we'd like it to be

powered. It is a regular manual type control with a lever style pump

and a valve.

You might not like the motorized variant as much as you think. Usually,
the manual pump is a two-stage type, with high fluid displacement per stroke
when you want the piston to move, and low fluid displacement per stroke
when you want the pressure to rise. The motorized pump would usually
be a ONE-stage pump, and not as easy to control when it got near the
pressure or displacement you wanted to attain.

If you're watching a force or stroke gage to hit some magic correct number,
the manual pump is what you want to have your hands on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks.

Any suggestions for a proper 3,000 PSI pump?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-28, wrote:
[...]

Eric, and Karl, I spent some time today with the press. I put some
large steel bars on it to be used for work set-up. I used this press
to straighten a 48 inch Ridgid wrench, that I bought very cheaply at
an auction because it was shaped like a banana. Straightening was very
simple and now I can sell it for good money.

While doing so, I looked a little bit at the hydraulics. I think that
it is very easy to add a hydraulic pump to it, so that I can use both
the hand lever as well as electrics, at my choosing.

Having said that, I think that a powered pump is not that necessary,
it does not take that long to pump it by hand. I do happen to have a
suitable hydraulic pump, 115 volts, 1/2 HP. Right now I am not sure if
I should mess with this press or just use it as is.

The press has some good sides and bad sides.

1) It has a huge work envelope, meaning that I can raise the H-bar
very high if I want, which I can easily do with a forklift.

2) It can develop 50 tons of force and has a force gauge.

3) It only has about 5 inches of travel of the ram, but the push rod
can be extended or retracted with a screw mechanism.

4) The H-bar is counterweighted, so I expected that I can move it up
and down by hand, but that is, unfortunately, not the case. I will
investigate this a little bit more. It seems to stick somewhat and I
need a forklift to move it.