Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default $18,367 manual hydraulic pump???

The cost of so much of the items in Mil spec or NASA spec - is simply
testing, testing, testing. Documentation to kazoo and keep it for as long
as the item is in use. - That might be 50 years. Oh - and the instruments
that tested the device must be kept in the archives for that time.

I've had to stand up for issues of parts and assemblies that were old. Got
through it with a 'white' paper detailing everything possible.

The issue wasn't with our part - it was how it was used. It was in a container
that was cooled with LNO2. The Coolant was intended to flow over the part
that this part was connected to. Our part in the box - theirs not. LN02
coolant filled the box as a gas - chilled it - created ice where it could
and melted ice (water) where the heat content was greater.
Nothing like having several hundred amps of -2V and a lesser amount of other
voltages - all of the power buses under water - the switchers supplying
the extra current. What tripped it up was a data bus was also shorted and
that tripped the computer.

That was a black project - and really hard to work with. It was guide by phone.
The security was such that the front door was locked - no entry into a lobby
without a special badge. Even if you are saving their butt!

We simply suspected the former - had the box rotated slightly - water on the floor
red faces on the internal workers - a lot of xxxxx and more 'white paper writing'.

Just a few reasons why stuff is more expensive -

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Ignoramus14487 wrote:
I am talking about items pictured he

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=783171

Each of these pumps cost the military $18,367 (click on the link
4320007560600).

Surely, they can develop 20,000 PSI and seem sturdily made, but still,
I wonder. I saw manual pumps at Grainger that developed 10,000 PSI and
cost only $960 or so. Why would these ones be 20 times more expensive?

Are they made of some very expensive materials? Or do they require
some unusual precision?

(yes, I am the winner of this auction, but have not yet picked them
up).

I also have a related question. I have this hydraulic ram and no one
seems to want it that much. I tried to sell with not much success.

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...ulic-Cylinder/

Can I use this ram with one of those manual pumps. At 20,000 PSI, the
ram would develop approximately 24,500 lbs of pressure (if it can
withstand it). That would make for a nice 10 ton press or log
splitter. The question is, is 20,000 psi too much for cylinders like
this? (I do not have a nameplate)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 06:02:49 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

This story might be interesting if even parts of it made sense.

Actually..it made perfect sense.

Gunner

Ignoramus14487 wrote:
[...]

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

wrote:

This story might be interesting if even parts of it made sense.

Can't keep up??? Sit on the bench.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner
wrote:

This story might be interesting if even parts of it made sense.

Actually..it made perfect sense.

I make parts for airplanes. Even the "trivial" parts have paperwork:
hardness, heat lot, in process inspection, CMM inspection when made, and
all this is documented. And you have to get a first part inspected and
"bought off" before you can complete the operation. Milling, Deburr,
assembly, all of them have that 'first part buy off'. Oh, and any thing
you write on the paperwork can be in any shade of ink, as long as it is
black.

Hey, sounds good to me. I get paid either way...

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

wrote:

This story might be interesting if even parts of it made sense.

Can't keep up??? Sit on the bench.

I'm not a translator, so I guess I cannot keep up.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.