Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

Default $18,367 manual hydraulic pump???

"Ignoramus14487" wrote in message
I am talking about items pictured he

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=783171

Each of these pumps cost the military $18,367 (click on the link
4320007560600).

Surely, they can develop 20,000 PSI and seem sturdily made, but still,
I wonder. I saw manual pumps at Grainger that developed 10,000 PSI and
cost only $960 or so. Why would these ones be 20 times more expensive?

Are they made of some very expensive materials? Or do they require
some unusual precision?

(yes, I am the winner of this auction, but have not yet picked them
up).

You paid over $400 per lot? Are they that marketable?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

The government liquidations are notorious for bad info. The clerk who types
it up has no clue what the product is or what came with it. Lots of times
they list a product that is only half there. So the listing is somewhat
fouled. Another fallacy is the price sometimes reflects what the government
paid for as a lot and the clerk put down the total purchase price for a
single unit.
Went to a base to look at some stuff. One item caught my attention .
Machined and splined shaft about 10 inches long. Cost $2,500. They had a
hundred of them and sold them for $1.32 each.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Ignoramus7685 :
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:39:59 -0600, Mike wrote:
The government liquidations are notorious for bad info. The clerk who types
it up has no clue what the product is or what came with it. Lots of times
they list a product that is only half there. So the listing is somewhat
fouled. Another fallacy is the price sometimes reflects what the government
paid for as a lot and the clerk put down the total purchase price for a
single unit.

Typically, they mark as broken or obsolete items that are in good
shape. My own oscilloscope was written off by the military because it
missed a part of a knob.

Having worked for the Government in the past, I can tell you
that this is sometimes done as an excuse to replace the item in question
with a newer model with more features.

And it is *sometimes* because the rules under which a government
lab works include the problem that if you don't spend all of your
allocation in one year, you get less the next year -- even though you
are starting a project which will take a lot more money to run.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564