Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictures of the Axelson 16x54 lathe

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axelson-16x54-Lathe/

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning
reground/refit ways).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus3737" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axelson-16x54-Lathe/

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning
reground/refit ways).

Most folks that have use for a lathe in that class are capable of obtaining
accurate work from it regardless of a little way wear.

Personally I would suggest leave it alone and advertise locally and on ebay
at around 5 grand or so for a few months and see what happens.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3737 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axelson-16x54-Lathe/

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning
reground/refit ways).

Do you have chucks, steady/follow rests and whatnot for it? I'm looking
for a bigger/better lathe. The key thing is I want a complete package
with chucks and rests and whatnot rather than chasing after parts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus3737" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axelson-16x54-Lathe/

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning
reground/refit ways).

Most folks that have use for a lathe in that class are capable of obtaining
accurate work from it regardless of a little way wear.

Personally I would suggest leave it alone and advertise locally and on ebay
at around 5 grand or so for a few months and see what happens.

Thanks... I think that that is what I will do, indeed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3737 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axelson-16x54-Lathe/

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning
reground/refit ways).

Do you have chucks, steady/follow rests and whatnot for it? I'm looking
for a bigger/better lathe. The key thing is I want a complete package
with chucks and rests and whatnot rather than chasing after parts.

Unfortunately, no, this is all I have. It needs D1-6 chucks, which are
plentiful. No steady or follow rest.

I have a super complete picture Hardinge HLV lathe and a very complete
picture Hardinge DV-59, however.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:48:52 -0600, Ignoramus3737

On 2012-02-27, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus3737" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axelson-16x54-Lathe/

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning
reground/refit ways).

Most folks that have use for a lathe in that class are capable of obtaining
accurate work from it regardless of a little way wear.

Personally I would suggest leave it alone and advertise locally and on ebay
at around 5 grand or so for a few months and see what happens.

Thanks... I think that that is what I will do, indeed.

You might paint it. At least for the equipment I use paint is the best
investment to sell something.

I bought a large international backhoe for $3500, looked bad, ran
good. I used it for a project for about a year. then painted it and
sold it after one day on Craig's list for $7000. (I did get caught
with a two day repair plus $300 in parts, broke in use)

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3737 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axelson-16x54-Lathe/

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning
reground/refit ways).

Do you have chucks, steady/follow rests and whatnot for it? I'm looking
for a bigger/better lathe. The key thing is I want a complete package
with chucks and rests and whatnot rather than chasing after parts.

Unfortunately, no, this is all I have. It needs D1-6 chucks, which are
plentiful. No steady or follow rest.

I have a super complete picture Hardinge HLV lathe and a very complete
picture Hardinge DV-59, however.

I'm not sure of the specs on those, I've been looking at the import
14x40 and 16x60 lathes as possibilities.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3737 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axelson-16x54-Lathe/

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning
reground/refit ways).

Do you have chucks, steady/follow rests and whatnot for it? I'm looking
for a bigger/better lathe. The key thing is I want a complete package
with chucks and rests and whatnot rather than chasing after parts.

Unfortunately, no, this is all I have. It needs D1-6 chucks, which are
plentiful. No steady or follow rest.

I have a super complete picture Hardinge HLV lathe and a very complete
picture Hardinge DV-59, however.

I'm not sure of the specs on those, I've been looking at the import
14x40 and 16x60 lathes as possibilities.

Those Hardinges are much smaller. They are for little fine work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus3737" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axelson-16x54-Lathe/

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning
reground/refit ways).

Most folks that have use for a lathe in that class are capable of obtaining
accurate work from it regardless of a little way wear.

Personally I would suggest leave it alone and advertise locally and on ebay
at around 5 grand or so for a few months and see what happens.

Thanks... I think that that is what I will do, indeed.

You might paint it. At least for the equipment I use paint is the best
investment to sell something.

Actually, the paint on it looks really great. I think that it is a
good selling point, that the original paint looks so good.

I bought a large international backhoe for $3500, looked bad, ran
good. I used it for a project for about a year. then painted it and
sold it after one day on Craig's list for $7000. (I did get caught
with a two day repair plus $300 in parts, broke in use)

How did you paint it? Did you sandblast it or what?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3737 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Axelson-16x54-Lathe/

I am seriously thinking about having it rebuilt (meaning
reground/refit ways).

Do you have chucks, steady/follow rests and whatnot for it? I'm looking
for a bigger/better lathe. The key thing is I want a complete package
with chucks and rests and whatnot rather than chasing after parts.

Unfortunately, no, this is all I have. It needs D1-6 chucks, which are
plentiful. No steady or follow rest.

I have a super complete picture Hardinge HLV lathe and a very complete
picture Hardinge DV-59, however.

I'm not sure of the specs on those, I've been looking at the import
14x40 and 16x60 lathes as possibilities.

Those Hardinges are much smaller. They are for little fine work.

I have a 12x24 now. I'm looking to add a second in the 14x40-16x40 range
with camlock spindle with a large bore and all the bits and pieces.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3737 wrote:

[...]

This Axelson is a 16x54 with camlock spindle, without bits and pieces
that you will probably never need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

No, you want to do a nice job but not overdo it. For cleaning, it was
degreaser and pressure washer. Then enough disassembly so the job
didn't look cheesy.

We bought a house at auction last year also. We were going to paint
and spruce it up to resell. But a fella offered to buy it even before
we closed from the auction. We sold it before we bought it.

I'll never make the Iggy class, but buy low and sell reasonable is a
nice way to make a few bucks.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3737 wrote:

[...]

Well, I need 3 and 4 jaw chucks, face plate, steady and follow rests and
a taper attachment would be nice too...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3737 wrote:

[...]

it has a taper attachment
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

Very nice. I always felt about paint, that some people may suspect
that I am hiding something. Plus it is time consuming. I admit,
though, that it seems to work nicely for you and that I do not know
much about painting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, Karl Townsend wrote:

[ ... ]

You might paint it. At least for the equipment I use paint is the best
investment to sell something.

Actually, the paint on it looks really great. I think that it is a
good selling point, that the original paint looks so good.

[ ... ]

How did you paint it? Did you sandblast it or what?

[ ... ]

No, you want to do a nice job but not overdo it. For cleaning, it was
degreaser and pressure washer. Then enough disassembly so the job
didn't look cheesy.

In other words -- don't do an "Al Babbin" paint job. (Paint
over everything, including the ways and the dials on the knobs. :-)

He was infamous as an eBay seller here for a few years -- before
you popped up here. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-27, Karl Townsend wrote:

[ ... ]

You might paint it. At least for the equipment I use paint is the best
investment to sell something.

Actually, the paint on it looks really great. I think that it is a
good selling point, that the original paint looks so good.

[ ... ]

How did you paint it? Did you sandblast it or what?

[ ... ]

No, you want to do a nice job but not overdo it. For cleaning, it was
degreaser and pressure washer. Then enough disassembly so the job
didn't look cheesy.

In other words -- don't do an "Al Babbin" paint job. (Paint
over everything, including the ways and the dials on the knobs. :-)

He was infamous as an eBay seller here for a few years -- before
you popped up here. :-)

Al Babin is still around....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 8:47*pm, Ignoramus3737

On 2012-02-27, Karl Townsend wrote:

* *[ ... ]

You might paint it. At least for the equipment I use paint is the best
investment to sell something.

Actually, the paint on it looks really great. I think that it is a
good selling point, that the original paint looks so good.

* *[ ... ]

How did you paint it? Did you sandblast it or what?

* *[ ... ]

No, you want to do a nice job but not overdo it. For cleaning, it was
degreaser and pressure washer. Then enough disassembly so the job
didn't look cheesy.

* *In other words -- don't do an "Al Babbin" paint job. *(Paint
over everything, including the ways and the dials on the knobs. :-)

* *He was infamous as an eBay seller here for a few years -- before
you popped up here. :-)

Al Babin is still around....

i- Hide quoted text -

LOL...yes he is...in all his glory.