Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dixon

Default 25" axelson lathe question

If there is someone who has a 25" axelson, there is a brass tag (unreadable
on mine) located next to the threading dial. I would like to know what it
says.

Thankx
Dixon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chip Chester

"If you can read this, you're too close!"

Just kidding.

If it was engraved, and is now worn, you might try making an "etching"
by rubbing a pencil "sideways" on paper over the plate.

Or, try a photo with various lighting angles, and drag into Photoshop
and play with image processing.

If it was painted, there might be enough left for some kind of
"electrostatic"
technique -- or expose plate to some chemical that will lightly tarnish
non-coated brass, leaving slightly coated brass un-tarnished.

Or, ask on a newsgroup...

"Chip"

"Dixon" wrote in message
If there is someone who has a 25" axelson, there is a brass tag

(unreadable
on mine) located next to the threading dial. I would like to know what it
says.

Thankx
Dixon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Chip Chester wrote:

"If you can read this, you're too close!"

"Headstock runout is closer than it appears"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
doo

Dixon wrote:
If there is someone who has a 25" axelson, there is a brass tag (unreadable
on mine) located next to the threading dial. I would like to know what it
says.

Thankx
Dixon

Usually the brass tag has the engagement marks for threads per inch
as to how many places you can engage the half nut. I usually just pick
one mark, 1,2,3,or 4 and keep engaging at the same spot. Easier to
remember, and I don't engage in the wrong spot, wiping out the almost
finished threads. Not that I'VE ever done that... G

Ron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dixon

"doo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dixon wrote:
If there is someone who has a 25" axelson, there is a brass tag
(unreadable
on mine) located next to the threading dial. I would like to know what it
says.

Thankx
Dixon

Usually the brass tag has the engagement marks for threads per inch
as to how many places you can engage the half nut. I usually just pick
one mark, 1,2,3,or 4 and keep engaging at the same spot. Easier to
remember, and I don't engage in the wrong spot, wiping out the almost
finished threads. Not that I'VE ever done that... G

Ron

I've had the machine for almost 20 yrs. now and I engage on the same
1-2-3-4 mark every time I thread. The tag probably says any line or half
line for even # threads, use one or the other for odd # threads and use the
same line for for threads like 11 1/2 pipe thread. I know it is hard to
believe in 20 yrs. I never experimented to find out the simplest way but
every job was too important too experiment on.

Dixon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard W.

"Dixon" wrote in message

"doo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dixon wrote:
[...]

Out of curiosity is it a model 25 axelson?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dixon

"Richard W." wrote in message
news:qdidnVk77uJD6gLenZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Dixon" wrote in message

"doo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dixon wrote:
[...]

It's a 25 x 72, with an actual swing of 28". It has hard ways and mitutoyo
readouts. With 25 hp and a 24" steel chuck it is a dream machine for me. It
came out of Mercury Machine in Detroit.

Dixon