Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Testing bobcat attachments

I have about 8 Bobcat attachments, including 5 excavators, auger
drive, two hammer etc.

I need to test them and I do not have an actual bobcat.

I thought that perhaps I could use my forklift and the "third valve",
by making some kind of an adaptor for those bobcat quick disconnects.

My forklift has three valves, out of which only two are used (lift and
tilt) and the third one is not used. It was supposed to be for the
side shift, which broke a long time ago.

Is that doable and how much should I expect to spend to add some kind
of a quick coupler with quick disconnects. Thanks.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 22:58:34 -0600, Ignoramus4275
wrote:

I have about 8 Bobcat attachments, including 5 excavators, auger
drive, two hammer etc.

I need to test them and I do not have an actual bobcat.

I thought that perhaps I could use my forklift and the "third valve",
by making some kind of an adaptor for those bobcat quick disconnects.

My forklift has three valves, out of which only two are used (lift and
tilt) and the third one is not used. It was supposed to be for the
side shift, which broke a long time ago.

Is that doable and how much should I expect to spend to add some kind
of a quick coupler with quick disconnects. Thanks.

Thanks

Certainly doable. I've collected a pile of surplus hoses and couplings
over the years. That's my first stop. Second, I head to the local Farm
and Fleet store. Or, you can go to the local dealer and leave with a
real warm feeling and an empty wallet.

In your case, I doubt the lift as quick disconnect. If you're doing
this often,add them. Otherwise just plumb in a couple long hoses.
IIRC, the Bobcat connects are like $12 each, not that bad.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have about 8 Bobcat attachments, including 5 excavators, auger
drive, two hammer etc.

I need to test them and I do not have an actual bobcat.

I thought that perhaps I could use my forklift and the "third valve",
by making some kind of an adaptor for those bobcat quick disconnects.

I'm not a hyd eng (but I play on on the internet), but I'd suggest
flushing those attachments prior to accepting return fluid into your
forklift hydraulic system from them, just in case they're full of
slivers from an exploded pump. You don't know where they've been, so
practice safe pumping.

My forklift has three valves, out of which only two are used (lift and
tilt) and the third one is not used. It was supposed to be for the
side shift, which broke a long time ago.

I wanna see pics of this Steampunk Forklift when you're done!
(Recommend keeping an excavator and auger for yourself.)

Is that doable and how much should I expect to spend to add some kind
of a quick coupler with quick disconnects. Thanks.

Go to your local NAPA store. They were the cheapest, best place around
for power steering pump hosemaking I found while working as a
mechanic. Figure maybe $200, plus the valving from Surplus Center.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4275 wrote:

I have about 8 Bobcat attachments, including 5 excavators, auger
drive, two hammer etc.

I need to test them and I do not have an actual bobcat.

I thought that perhaps I could use my forklift and the "third valve",
by making some kind of an adaptor for those bobcat quick disconnects.

My forklift has three valves, out of which only two are used (lift and
tilt) and the third one is not used. It was supposed to be for the
side shift, which broke a long time ago.

Is that doable and how much should I expect to spend to add some kind
of a quick coupler with quick disconnects. Thanks.

Thanks

I second the recommendation of being careful of return fluid. Pump the
first gallon or so into a clean white bucket for examination before
hooking up the return line (this will require an extra quick connect to
open the return line's check valve). Place a good hydraulic return line
filter on the return line in the forklift. Don't forget to add make up
oil to the forklift's tank to replace what is lost on each test. You
will not have the flow volume to test anything at normal operating
speeds, but you will probably be ok on pressure. It might be easier if
you just scrounged a stationary electric (AC) hydraulic power pack so
you don't tie up the forklift while testing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Practice safe pumping". Would that be fluid filter, or condumb?

Nothing like trusting your life to a thin piece of rubber.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I'm not a hyd eng (but I play on on the internet), but I'd suggest
flushing those attachments prior to accepting return fluid into your
forklift hydraulic system from them, just in case they're full of
slivers from an exploded pump. You don't know where they've been, so
practice safe pumping.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Practice safe pumping". Would that be fluid filter, or condumb?

Nothing like trusting your life to a thin piece of rubber.

"Condom" a.k.a. a clean 5 gal bucket to dump the first gallon of suspect
fluid into.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Ignoramus4275 wrote:

[...]

I second the stationary pump idea...

--one where pressure can be adjusted would probably be best.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Ignoramus4275 wrote:

Is that doable and how much should I expect to spend to add some kind
of a quick coupler with quick disconnects. Thanks.

I second the recommendation of being careful of return fluid.

Unlike custom hoses I'ved found the prices for hydraulic fittings in local
stores reasonable.

Tractor Supply carries quick disconnects.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/-182440799

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have about 8 Bobcat attachments, including 5 excavators, auger
drive, two hammer etc.

I need to test them and I do not have an actual bobcat.

Might be easier and simpler to just rent one for half a day.
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/9/2012 8:28 AM, Glenn Lyford wrote:
I have about 8 Bobcat attachments, including 5 excavators, auger
drive, two hammer etc.

I need to test them and I do not have an actual bobcat.

Might be easier and simpler to just rent one for half a day.
--Glenn Lyford

OR you just wait a week and one will turn up at a reasonable price!

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Real men use 5 gal buckets!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

"Practice safe pumping". Would that be fluid filter, or condumb?

Nothing like trusting your life to a thin piece of rubber.

"Condom" a.k.a. a clean 5 gal bucket to dump the first gallon of suspect
fluid into.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:23:17 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 2/9/2012 8:28 AM, Glenn Lyford wrote:
I have about 8 Bobcat attachments, including 5 excavators, auger
drive, two hammer etc.

I need to test them and I do not have an actual bobcat.

Might be easier and simpler to just rent one for half a day.
--Glenn Lyford

OR you just wait a week and one will turn up at a reasonable price!

In Ig's case probably one "Bobcat, doesn't run, $125, U-haul" and
it'll be within ten minutes of him. Lucky suckah.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2/9/2012 8:28 AM, Glenn Lyford wrote:
I have about 8 Bobcat attachments, including 5 excavators, auger
drive, two hammer etc.

I need to test them and I do not have an actual bobcat.

Might be easier and simpler to just rent one for half a day.
--Glenn Lyford

OR you just wait a week and one will turn up at a reasonable price!

In Ig's case probably one "Bobcat, doesn't run, $125, U-haul" and
it'll be within ten minutes of him. Lucky suckah.

It is rare, but it happens.

How to load Bobcat in your truck HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 3 September 28th 08 04:26 AM
Bobcat or equivalent Mark Metalworking 4 April 21st 05 03:53 AM
Skid-steer or "Bobcat" John Smith Metalworking 30 August 20th 04 01:01 AM
Bobcat Bushings MIke Metalworking 5 March 31st 04 07:14 AM
Tractor vs. Bobcat RogerN Metalworking 16 February 15th 04 02:56 AM