Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Temporary job ads?

Once in a while, I need someone (in addition to my permanent employee)
to help me on a temporary basis, say, cleaning some equipment or doing
some other general kind of work.

I do not know where I can post such ads in English. There is a Russian
website with a job board that I know, which works pretty well, but I
wanted to also find one in English. Craigslist charges $25 for job ads
(show stopper) and I have a feeling that it is slightly risky to
advertise jobs there anyway, due to security concerns.

So, does anyone know where I can advertise for temp jobs in
English. The area is Chicagoland.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus23559 wrote:

Once in a while, I need someone (in addition to my permanent employee)
to help me on a temporary basis, say, cleaning some equipment or doing
some other general kind of work.

I do not know where I can post such ads in English. There is a Russian
website with a job board that I know, which works pretty well, but I
wanted to also find one in English. Craigslist charges $25 for job ads
(show stopper) and I have a feeling that it is slightly risky to
advertise jobs there anyway, due to security concerns.

So, does anyone know where I can advertise for temp jobs in
English. The area is Chicagoland.

Local newspapers may be the best be for this, and being local should
help reduce the potential volume of scammers. Another possible option
would be the local unemployment office which likely accepts job
postings.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/17/2012 5:52 AM, Ignoramus23559 wrote:
Once in a while, I need someone (in addition to my permanent employee)
to help me on a temporary basis, say, cleaning some equipment or doing
some other general kind of work.

I do not know where I can post such ads in English. There is a Russian
website with a job board that I know, which works pretty well, but I
wanted to also find one in English. Craigslist charges $25 for job ads
(show stopper) and I have a feeling that it is slightly risky to
advertise jobs there anyway, due to security concerns.

So, does anyone know where I can advertise for temp jobs in
English. The area is Chicagoland.

Stop by your closest Salvation Army office or other similar organization
and see if they can help with a temp. employee.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've been hiring LOTS of temp employees for 30 years...

I won't go to any want ad, craig's list, or temp agency. You just end up
hiring somebody that will steal, or mine employment comp. or scam social
securtiy, etc. Just not woth it. My honey just gets on the phone and starts
calling to see if any friends have friends looking for work. Especially in
this economy, you can find sombody quickly this way.

Just my 2 cents.

If you like,we can start a thread exchanging horror stories about bad egg
employees.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 06:53:36 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 1/17/2012 5:52 AM, Ignoramus23559 wrote:
Once in a while, I need someone (in addition to my permanent employee)
to help me on a temporary basis, say, cleaning some equipment or doing
some other general kind of work.

I do not know where I can post such ads in English. There is a Russian
website with a job board that I know, which works pretty well, but I
wanted to also find one in English. Craigslist charges $25 for job ads
(show stopper) and I have a feeling that it is slightly risky to
advertise jobs there anyway, due to security concerns.

So, does anyone know where I can advertise for temp jobs in
English. The area is Chicagoland.

Stop by your closest Salvation Army office or other similar organization
and see if they can help with a temp. employee.

I've used a local temp agency, Confident Staffing. It costs $13-15/hr
for a minimumish wage semi-skilled laborer. That includes their Work
Comp insurance, the worker's wages, and the temp agency profit. It
works well for me, as seldom as I use laborers.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Temporary job ads? (horror stories about temps)

My last temp worker. Told him to stay on the ground. He went to the roof
with me, I should have said something at that moment. I had the cover panel
off a HVAC unit, and was reaching in to check the belt tension. I heard him
say "I'm going to turn on the power, to see how it runs." I jumped out, and
nearly gave him the marine DI routine. I really should have.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I've been hiring LOTS of temp employees for 30 years...

I won't go to any want ad, craig's list, or temp agency. You just end up
hiring somebody that will steal, or mine employment comp. or scam social
securtiy, etc. Just not woth it. My honey just gets on the phone and starts
calling to see if any friends have friends looking for work. Especially in
this economy, you can find sombody quickly this way.

Just my 2 cents.

If you like,we can start a thread exchanging horror stories about bad egg
employees.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I pay 12/hr for pretty decent people.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OK, but they're uninsured. (It would cost me $4k for work comp ins.)
The extra $6/hr isn't bad, and I bill their time at my rate, not
theirs. I've used 3 different guys and have no complaints whatsoever
for any of them. I heartily recommend temp agencies. They try to weed
out the thieves and skaters before you hire them. Win/Win.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23559" wrote in message
Once in a while, I need someone (in addition to my permanent employee)
to help me on a temporary basis, say, cleaning some equipment or doing
some other general kind of work.

I do not know where I can post such ads in English. There is a Russian
website with a job board that I know, which works pretty well, but I
wanted to also find one in English. Craigslist charges $25 for job ads
(show stopper) and I have a feeling that it is slightly risky to
advertise jobs there anyway, due to security concerns.

So, does anyone know where I can advertise for temp jobs in
English. The area is Chicagoland.

Checkout gumtree.com

They are good in my area - free ads for jobs / for sale etc. I've had good
luck with finding "local" people.

See if they cover your area.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 07:52:42 -0600, Ignoramus23559 wrote:

Once in a while, I need someone (in addition to my permanent employee)
to help me on a temporary basis, say, cleaning some equipment or doing
some other general kind of work.

I do not know where I can post such ads in English. There is a Russian
website with a job board that I know, which works pretty well, but I
wanted to also find one in English. Craigslist charges $25 for job ads
(show stopper) and I have a feeling that it is slightly risky to
advertise jobs there anyway, due to security concerns.

So, does anyone know where I can advertise for temp jobs in English. The
area is Chicagoland.

It is risky to have employees, due to security concerns. Sorry --
there's no way around, although you can mitigate it.

When we were past all deadlines on moving out of our old house, and
needed help fast, I just called the Oregon Employment division. In
Oregon, at least, the unemployment office maintains a list of folks who
are willing to do day labor; all you have to do is call. Of course, we
were trusting them to pack up stuff from the house we were moving _out_
of, and not telling them where we were _going_, which certainly helped
with the "can we trust these folks".

As pointed out, a decent temp agency will screen (and will probably
handle all sorts of paperwork, 1099 forms, etc.). How to find that
decent temp agency -- I dunno.

I liked Karl's suggestion of calling for friends of friends. Of course,
this does occasionally end up with you feeling obliged to hire someone's
ex-con brother-in-law. (My dad ended up doing that once. We were
worried, but the guy turned out to be OK, if awfully weird. It was the
long-time & trusted employee who recommended him that ended up being
caught with his hand in the till. As I said, any time you employ someone
you're taking a risk...).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Larry's right! Workers Comp. and all the other issues with hiring temp
help could really come back and bite you! I can't hire neighborhood
kids anymore for summer or part-time work, gov. regulations have
permanently killed those jobs. Bite the bullet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/17/2012 9:53 AM, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 1/17/2012 5:52 AM, Ignoramus23559 wrote:
Once in a while, I need someone (in addition to my permanent employee)
to help me on a temporary basis, say, cleaning some equipment or doing
some other general kind of work.

I do not know where I can post such ads in English. There is a Russian
website with a job board that I know, which works pretty well, but I
wanted to also find one in English. Craigslist charges $25 for job ads
(show stopper) and I have a feeling that it is slightly risky to
advertise jobs there anyway, due to security concerns.

So, does anyone know where I can advertise for temp jobs in
English. The area is Chicagoland.

Stop by your closest Salvation Army office or other similar organization
and see if they can help with a temp. employee.

Paul

I've had HORRIBLE luck with SA people but It might just be my luck.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've also had good luck with agencies. If they work out exceptionally
well and you have the work for them, you can arrange to hire the
employee directly. Otherwise it's no hassle to just not bring them in.
They take care of most of the paperwork for you, as well as
interviewing etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/17/2012 8:52 AM, Ignoramus23559 wrote:
Once in a while, I need someone (in addition to my permanent employee)
to help me on a temporary basis, say, cleaning some equipment or doing
some other general kind of work.

I do not know where I can post such ads in English. There is a Russian
website with a job board that I know, which works pretty well, but I
wanted to also find one in English. Craigslist charges $25 for job ads
(show stopper) and I have a feeling that it is slightly risky to
advertise jobs there anyway, due to security concerns.

So, does anyone know where I can advertise for temp jobs in
English. The area is Chicagoland.

Try a local church's bulletin board.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
[...]

I've been a communication contractor for 18 years, and for a large part of
that time I had employees. Finally I just go tired of it. I have a lateral
file drawer full of old employee records. Out of all of those I had three
who were any good, and only two who actually made me money. The rest I just
had to work overtime in order to pay them for the privilege of letting me
finish their work for them. One day I said screw this ****. I hobbled into
the shop on a recently broken leg (not work related) and fired everybody. I
got more work done and made more money that year and the following year than
I had ever made before in my life. I took jobs I could handle myself, and I
wrote job schedules for bigger jobs that allowed me time everyday for
routine service calls, and I have never had to work late if I didn't want to
one time since. That was in 2002. I occasionally hire day labor were I
need an extra set of hands for muscle, and one of my former employees (one
of the two profitable good ones) will cover for me if I ask him to. I never
have employees anymore. Anybody I use is always employed by the agency I
use. Their insurance, their workmen's comp, their book keeping, their
headache.

Its funny. It wasn't quality of labor or cost of labor that broke my back
on this subject either. I would have kept trying until I died I expect. I
got cheated by the Arizona State Department of Economic Security. I took
them to state tax court, and the judge ruled in my favor. DES said, "Yeah
sorry. Its too late to change anything. Remind us next year," basically
thumbing their nose at the state court's ruling. That was the day I walked
into the shop and fired everybody. Best business move I ever made. Even in
this crappy economy I still make more money than my best year when I had
employees.

Labor types can jump all over this post if they like, but I am an owner
technician and I have a pretty darn loyal customer base and I charge a
decent rate for my time. My very first client from when I started the
company in 1993 is still a client, and I still do work for them regularly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
[...]

I had a job once as a head hunter for farm labor. Yes, it was a pretty
rough business back in the day, but that's not the point of this story. I
used to make the rounds at the missions, Salvation Army, along the river.
etc. I would just pull up and yell out asking if anybody wanted to work.
Most people there didn't. Some would try to negotiate. Some just figured
they could milk a few better quality free meals out of the labor company
kitchen before they bailed. Most asked questions (wisely so in the labor
business) about the outfit, how it was run, and the pay. Quite a few it was
clear would ask for some personal face saving reason, but they really didn't
want to do any kind of manual labor at any rate. In the time I spent doing
that job I had one really good guy come out of that. He was a down on his
luck cowboy. He didn't ask any questions. When I asked if he anybody
wanted to work he said, "I do!" before the last of my voice had faded.

I was getting paid by the head, all I did was try not to bring anybody who
was obviously dangerous or who obviously could not do the work.

That cowboy turned out to be a real success story though. Turns out he was
a real working cowboy (not a rodeo tough guy) who had some bad luck. He
worked, got his saddle out of hock, got another job when the produce labor
finished for the season, and the last time I saw him he had bought a car,
and was headed back to Nevada to see if he could get back on with one of the
cattle ranches up that way.

Out of all those hundred if not thousands of people I saw most didn't want
to work or were happy to sleep along the river and live on cheese sandwiches
at the mission than rather than do any kind of manual labor. I wasn't
raised that way. I always figured working was better than not working.
Some were ok laborers. One (1) was just a guy with some bad luck willing to
work and just needed a break. Any kind of break. And when he got it he
took advantage of it. In fact he looked me up to thank me when he finally
left town.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I once hired two "temp guys" to help me move some stuff, they were
quite bad.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I learned to prequalify my hirees. If I want them to move things
around safely, I ask for previous employment for a moving company,
etc. I also give considerable feedback to the temp agency so they can
weed out the bad guys and give the good guys more work. All 3 of us
are happier that way. Try a different temp agency if you find that
one gives you bogus laborers. Specify that you'd like someone who has
worked for them and they know fairly well to be honest, since you have
security issues. The more info you give them, the better the fit the
worker will be for your specific needs.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:10:50 -0500, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 1/17/2012 8:52 AM, Ignoramus23559 wrote:
Once in a while, I need someone (in addition to my permanent employee)
to help me on a temporary basis, say, cleaning some equipment or doing
some other general kind of work.

I do not know where I can post such ads in English. There is a Russian
website with a job board that I know, which works pretty well, but I
wanted to also find one in English. Craigslist charges $25 for job ads
(show stopper) and I have a feeling that it is slightly risky to
advertise jobs there anyway, due to security concerns.

So, does anyone know where I can advertise for temp jobs in
English. The area is Chicagoland.

Try a local church's bulletin board.

My neighbor tried that. He's a super Jesus freak and he brought a new
churchee home to work for him. The guy wasn't bad for a month or so,
then he started asking to borrow the neigbor's tools. About a month
after that, he stopped attending church and never returnd the
neighbor's $900 DR Mower, his $350 Husky weedeater, and some other
hand tools worth another hundred or two. Evidently, the guy was a
junkie and needed a fix. The cops knew his name when they heard it.
He won the court proceedings but never got a dime out of the idiot.
Caveat Fleecee.

--
The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which
it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold.
-- Glenn Doman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:16:15 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Very very well said!!

Gunner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob, I accidentally have some luck with my sole permanent employee who
works for me right now. He is a conscientious person and likes to do
things well, even when I am not asking for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6888" wrote in message
Bob, I accidentally have some luck with my sole permanent employee who
works for me right now. He is a conscientious person and likes to do
things well, even when I am not asking for it.

Pay him well, and let him know he is appreciated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

On 1/17/2012 8:52 AM, Ignoramus23559 wrote:
Once in a while, I need someone (in addition to my permanent employee)
to help me on a temporary basis, say, cleaning some equipment or doing
some other general kind of work.

I do not know where I can post such ads in English. There is a Russian
website with a job board that I know, which works pretty well, but I
wanted to also find one in English. Craigslist charges $25 for job ads
(show stopper) and I have a feeling that it is slightly risky to
advertise jobs there anyway, due to security concerns.

So, does anyone know where I can advertise for temp jobs in
English. The area is Chicagoland.

Try a local church's bulletin board.

If he wasn't such a leftist ass, he could contact the local Vets
Helping Vets. Most areas have returning military who need any work they
can get, to get back on their feet and VHV is the place to start
looking.

Temporary outside storage Arthur 51 UK diy 9 July 23rd 09 04:29 PM
'Temporary' fix for skirting? GMM UK diy 4 December 21st 07 10:57 PM
Temporary floor geraldthehamster UK diy 5 November 19th 07 09:28 PM
Temporary Tabletop Chris UK diy 4 October 17th 07 12:54 PM
temporary shower louis quasha Home Repair 7 August 23rd 04 04:34 PM