Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Forklift Hook Adaptor, good for 5,000 lbs?

On 2011-12-24, Howard wrote:

"Gunner wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:43:54 -0600, Ignoramus22709
wrote:

I made this forklift hook adaptor:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Forklift-Hook.jpg

The horizontal cross bar is a rectangular tubing piece, 1/8" thick,
2x4 in cross section. ...

Thin wall tubing. No..its not going to hold 5k

I would not trust 1/8" to hold 5K, ...

Thanks guys. SOmeone else also told me the same thing. I think that
whatever I may be lifting, will be worth more than what a proper
adaptor costs, and also, the life and health is worth even more. I
will redo it, with some sadness.

Should have just gone and done some simple guess'ineering and gotten a
good idea it wasn't up to the task...

http://www.calculatoredge.com/civil%20engg%20calculator/beam.htm#hollow

For a 2-ft section of 1/8" tube, deflection for 5k load is roughly 1/4"
and a bending stress 80 kpsi (using yield of 29E6 psi). That's spooky
enough even w/ the crude approximation of real loading to be clearly
_a_bad_idea_ (tm).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My belly told me there's something fishy about those numbers. Lacking
any information on the assumed loading and support conditions, that
calculator is worse than useless. It appears to be a calculation for a
cantilever beam.

The numbers for Iggy's setup yield a deflection of .016" and a stress
of 20 ksi at the center of the beam. In other words, it'd support the
5000#, but with an inadequate factor of safety for overhead lifting.
The stress *would* be acceptable in bridge and building construction.

Don't take this as an endorsement of the device -- I don't know all
the details of the construction, the soundness of the welds, or the
intended use.

--
Ned Simmons