Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for a rare or imposible motor...

I'm looking for a DC motor, 5+ HP, 3000 RPM or greater, 56C, 140C or 180C
face.

Any such animal exist?

My search at Leeson and some other suppliers only gives me 1700ish RPM
units.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" fired this volley in
:

I'm looking for a DC motor, 5+ HP, 3000 RPM or greater, 56C, 140C or
180C face.

Din't say what preferred voltage.
LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

"Joe AutoDrill" fired this volley in
:

I'm looking for a DC motor, 5+ HP, 3000 RPM or greater, 56C, 140C or
180C face.

Din't say what preferred voltage.
LLoyd

BTW... Reliance made a dual-speed DC motor with that spec -- 220VDC
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

BTW... Reliance made a dual-speed DC motor with that spec -- 220VDC

sorry... 240V.

You might have to make an adaptor. I didn't see any in those frame styles.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I'm looking for a DC motor, 5+ HP, 3000 RPM or greater, 56C, 140C or 180C
face.

Any such animal exist?

My search at Leeson and some other suppliers only gives me 1700ish RPM
units.

Baldor lists some 5hp 1750/2300 RPM units. I don't see anything 3000 RPM
over 2hp.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I'm looking for a DC motor, 5+ HP, 3000 RPM or greater, 56C, 140C or 180C
face.

Any such animal exist?

My search at Leeson and some other suppliers only gives me 1700ish RPM
units.

Is there anyone in the Dayton, Ohio area on the group? Mendelson's
Surplus used to have hundreds of large DC motors on the third floor,
along with all kinds of tooling & parts from car factories in the area
that were updated form DC motors to VFD & AC motors, along with stuff
from the old NCR factories.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is there anyone in the Dayton, Ohio area on the group? Mendelson's
Surplus used to have hundreds of large DC motors on the third floor,
along with all kinds of tooling & parts from car factories in the area
that were updated form DC motors to VFD & AC motors, along with stuff
from the old NCR factories.

Michael - My next challenge after (if) finding a model is finding 12 in
stock somewhere.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Is there anyone in the Dayton, Ohio area on the group? Mendelson's
Surplus used to have hundreds of large DC motors on the third floor,
along with all kinds of tooling & parts from car factories in the area
that were updated form DC motors to VFD & AC motors, along with stuff
from the old NCR factories.

Michael - My next challenge after (if) finding a model is finding 12 in
stock somewhere.

Knowing Mendelson's, they could have that many in one of their
warehouses. The problem i always had with them was that they didn't
know what they had, just how much they wanted for what was available and
someone needs to actually look at what they have. Their main building
is a full. city block in downtown Dayton and worth a visit for anyone
with a reasonable distance. Years ago, a big two way radio business in
Canada would come down twice a year and buy three tractor trailer loads
of cables & spare parts. They were selling hardware, drill bits & taps
by the pound when I was there the last time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/07/2011 06:06 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Is there anyone in the Dayton, Ohio area on the group? Mendelson's
Surplus used to have hundreds of large DC motors on the third floor,
along with all kinds of tooling& parts from car factories in the area
that were updated form DC motors to VFD& AC motors, along with stuff
from the old NCR factories.

Michael - My next challenge after (if) finding a model is finding 12 in
stock somewhere.

OK, you might look at Fanuc black cap spindle motors. Anybody who knows
what they are will want serious money for them, however.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:23:54 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I'm looking for a DC motor, 5+ HP, 3000 RPM or greater, 56C, 140C or 180C
face.

Any such animal exist?

My search at Leeson and some other suppliers only gives me 1700ish RPM
units.

Need more Input before Idea Output can commence.

Is there a particular reason why the motors have to be 240V DC? And
not 240/480V 3Ph on a VFD?

5 HP 3450 RPM (3600 if you stop figuring for the synchronous slip)
2-pole motors in 240/480 3Ph should be fairly common. Single phase
that's getting a little big, but still doable.

And what is it driving - a fan is easy, a compressor head or something
with high start torque required is not. Duty cycle, operating
temperatures, space, ventilation, Explosion Proof or Drip Proof...

Could it be done with Hydraulics...? You can get a C-face hydraulic
motor head on the machine, and drive it remotely with darned near
anything. The hydraulic motor can be spinning 3000 RPM and the pump
(or pumps plural and parallel) driving it off your 240V DC power
source can be running at 1725 RPM if it's all sized right.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Customer specifically requested DC, 240V.

However, I've convinced him to accept a 5 HP, inverter rated AC motor,
480V...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 15:58:01 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Customer specifically requested DC, 240V.

However, I've convinced him to accept a 5 HP, inverter rated AC motor,
480V...

If the customer has a compelling reason they need to do it on 240V DC,
like that's all they have and no other options, that's the time you
try to deliver exactly that.

Like when you're restoring a Trolley or Subway Car, your choice of
power is limited to what's on the catenary wire or the Third Rail,
usually 600V DC. If you want AC power on board, you need a
Motor-Generator or a specially built VFD with a 600V DC input.

But if they have 480V 3-ph 60Hz readily available it's stupid (not to
mention hugely expensive) to try using an oddball source.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Customer specifically requested DC, 240V.

However, I've convinced him to accept a 5 HP, inverter rated AC motor,
480V...

The only reason for this might be if there is need to deliver 5 Hp
over a very wide range of speeds without a varispeed belt drive
or changeable belts or gears. This can be the case for lathe
spindles and things like that. Otherwise, an induction motor will
be cheaper, longer-lasting, essentially zero maintenance and so
on.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Customer specifically requested DC, 240V.

However, I've convinced him to accept a 5 HP, inverter rated AC motor,
480V...

The only reason for this might be if there is need to deliver 5 Hp
over a very wide range of speeds without a varispeed belt drive
or changeable belts or gears. This can be the case for lathe
spindles and things like that. Otherwise, an induction motor will
be cheaper, longer-lasting, essentially zero maintenance and so
on.

Jon

Jon,

That is essentially the case.