Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to store steel scrap

I am producing a variety of steel scrap. Some is compact and heavy,
and some is kind of fluffy, like this:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Reznor-Heater...eater-0001.jpg

I first naively thought that I could pile it up behind the building,
and then take to a scrap yard when I accumulate a couple of tons. It
turns out that local bums and Mexicans pick that stuff up every day,
and that is probably considered normal. So, what would you do in this
situation? Maybe get some kind of a big lockable dumpster?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 07:59:43 -0600, Ignoramus31958
wrote:

I am producing a variety of steel scrap. Some is compact and heavy,
and some is kind of fluffy, like this:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Reznor-Heater...eater-0001.jpg

I first naively thought that I could pile it up behind the building,
and then take to a scrap yard when I accumulate a couple of tons. It
turns out that local bums and Mexicans pick that stuff up every day,
and that is probably considered normal. So, what would you do in this
situation? Maybe get some kind of a big lockable dumpster?

Fenced and locked area or outbuilding to collect the scrap, security
cameras and a DVR, and a big No Trespassing, Will Prosecute sign - and
do it if you find someone raided the hen-house.

I have scrap haulers coming by the house all the time, I have to keep
the gates locked and tell them "When I decide it's fully stripped and
no good to me any longer, I'll put it outside the gate." And it
disappears within 24 hours when I do.

Except for Copper and Brass, I don't collect enough to make it worth
the trip to the scrap yard myself - you really do have to start
talking by the ton. Unless I cut it up and build something useful out
of it, which is why it sticks around for a while.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/24/2011 5:59 AM, Ignoramus31958 wrote:
I am producing a variety of steel scrap. Some is compact and heavy,
and some is kind of fluffy, like this:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Reznor-Heater...eater-0001.jpg

I first naively thought that I could pile it up behind the building,
and then take to a scrap yard when I accumulate a couple of tons. It
turns out that local bums and Mexicans pick that stuff up every day,
and that is probably considered normal. So, what would you do in this
situation? Maybe get some kind of a big lockable dumpster?

If you have a regular supply, the scrap dealer will supply a bin for you
and pick it up when you call. At least they do here.

I have not seen a lockable one, though.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 24, 7:59*am, Ignoramus31958 ignoramus31...@NOSPAM.
31958.invalid wrote:
I am producing a variety of steel scrap. Some is compact and heavy,
and some is kind of fluffy, like this:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Reznor-Heater...eater-0001.jpg

I first naively thought that I could pile it up behind the building,
and then take to a scrap yard when I accumulate a couple of tons. It
turns out that local bums and Mexicans pick that stuff up every day,
and that is probably considered normal. So, what would you do in this
situation? Maybe get some kind of a big lockable dumpster?

Yeah..with metal prices higher it has become a real PITA...anything
that is not nailed down grows legs and walks.

It causes me real pain to commit expensive space to holding scrap but
like everything if you consider it worth dollars you have commit
resources.

It sounds like you have enough parking lot space to commit a corner of
it to fenced storage and have it picked up on a regular basis.

As for scrappers, like a dog you have to teach them who is boss. If
you start feeding them scrap, they will never leave you alone.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am producing a variety of steel scrap. Some is compact and heavy,
and some is kind of fluffy, like this:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Reznor-Heater...eater-0001.jpg

I first naively thought that I could pile it up behind the building,
and then take to a scrap yard when I accumulate a couple of tons. It
turns out that local bums and Mexicans pick that stuff up every day,
and that is probably considered normal. So, what would you do in this
situation? Maybe get some kind of a big lockable dumpster?

Ayup. Thats pretty much what everybody in your situation uses. If you
generate enough..often times your scrap buyer may loan you such a
bin..but I dont think you will be generating that sort of volume so
simply call around the various garbage collectors and tell em you want a
bin and do they have a beater you can buy and refurb?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am producing a variety of steel scrap. Some is compact and heavy,
and some is kind of fluffy, like this:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Reznor-Heater...eater-0001.jpg

I first naively thought that I could pile it up behind the building,
and then take to a scrap yard when I accumulate a couple of tons. It
turns out that local bums and Mexicans pick that stuff up every day,
and that is probably considered normal. So, what would you do in this
situation? Maybe get some kind of a big lockable dumpster?

Ayup. Thats pretty much what everybody in your situation uses. If you
generate enough..often times your scrap buyer may loan you such a
bin..but I dont think you will be generating that sort of volume so
simply call around the various garbage collectors and tell em you want a
bin and do they have a beater you can buy and refurb?

Gunner

And how about the concept of cutting it into many small pieces that would be
more labor intensive to carry off. Especially if they were in the bottom of
some sort of bin.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Your "shop" is 10,000 sf, surely you can spare a hundred or two sf for
scrap storage inside. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:05:34 -0800, Steve B wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote ...
[...]

Or go the other way, weld the first piece to an anchor, and each
time you add some scrap, tack weld it to the pile.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote

And how about the concept of cutting it into many small pieces that
would be more labor intensive to carry off. Especially if they were in
the bottom of some sort of bin.

Or go the other way, weld the first piece to an anchor, and each
time you add some scrap, tack weld it to the pile.

I got to go into Titanium Metals in Henderson, NV. A friend of mine was a
welder there. His job was to weld waste and return pieces of titanium
together in a long tube that was see through, and had gloves that went
through the clear tube. The whole tube was flooded with argon. His job was
to weld together all of the scraps that were put into the tube so that this
big mass of titanium scraps and returns could be remelted. Inside the tube,
it was one amazing sculpture. There were recognizable pieces and parts,
just like a metal sculpture. Pieces that looked like aircraft wing and flap
reinforcements. Then odd shapes that were drops and remnants that were just
scraps. My friend did not have to be a really good welder, as the whole
envelope was flooded with argon, and a lot of the welds were just done along
the touching portions of the metal. Only a minimal amount of filler rod was
used, and the process was TIG. The real work was to move the pieces
around and get them into place, and utilize the space inside the tube to
optimum so they obtained the largest heaviest slug they could to lower into
the electric furnace. He hated it, and did not work there long.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/24/2011 8:59 AM, Ignoramus31958 wrote:
I am producing a variety of steel scrap. Some is compact and heavy,
and some is kind of fluffy, like this:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Reznor-Heater...eater-0001.jpg

I first naively thought that I could pile it up behind the building,
and then take to a scrap yard when I accumulate a couple of tons. It
turns out that local bums and Mexicans pick that stuff up every day,
and that is probably considered normal. So, what would you do in this
situation? Maybe get some kind of a big lockable dumpster?

My scrap dealer supplies a tall, locking 40 yd dumpster and comes when
called and cuts a check in less than a week. I do have to trust his
weight though. I have had scrappers break into the complex and steal my
scrap by climbing over the top. But it's mostly strips that have had
blanks punched from them. It isn't very dense and it's sharp as razors,
a lot of work for "free" scrap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 23:21:37 -0500, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

[...]

Hopefully, they left vivid blood offerings to the gods of scrap.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 25, 7:48*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
[...]

I've had vultures waiting for me, when I drop off stuff at the
local...garbage/metal place.

Some of the junk, welders, heavy duty air hammers, etc, just let them
take it.

xman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-25, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:
[...]

How long does it take you to fill up one dumpster?

Scrap value of copper? Lobster UK diy 24 July 2nd 06 12:00 AM
does anybody scrap the carbide & Tool steel? sugar Metalworking 7 March 23rd 06 01:32 PM
What do with with lbs and lbs of scrap AL ~.Roy.~ Metalworking 15 September 11th 05 12:26 AM
China is buying alot of scrap steel, will this be a problem? Walt Metalworking 34 April 4th 04 12:52 AM
Scrap or repair? TonyK UK diy 43 January 5th 04 01:02 PM