Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can you use a jig borer as a regular drill press

thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus28129" wrote in message

thanks

Sure, if you're the kind who likes hunting rats with a Purdy shotgun. g

What make of jig borer?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 12:58:19 -0500, Ignoramus28129
wrote:

thanks

Yes, like you can use a micrometer as a C-clamp.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

thanks

Yes, like you can use a micrometer as a C-clamp.

A micrometer would make a lousy C clamp. But would a jig borer make a
lousy drill press?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

thanks

Yes, like you can use a micrometer as a C-clamp.

A micrometer would make a lousy C clamp. But would a jig borer make a
lousy drill press?

A jig borer usually is limited in rpm. See if the range will suit what you
need.

It may have limited thrust capability, because it's made to cut with a
small, single-point cutter at limited depths of cut. If you're planning to
use large-diameter drills, you may be overloading it.

The idea behind a jig borer is extreme X-Y positioning accuracy -- far in
excess of anything you can accomplish with a drill bit. You're wasting the
machine's prime asset.

So it depends. IIRC, my comments all apply to an old, non-CNC Moore. If it's
a SIP or other brand, I don't know.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

thanks

Yes, like you can use a micrometer as a C-clamp.

A micrometer would make a lousy C clamp. But would a jig borer make a
lousy drill press?

Long long time ago this forum had a treda about using the $10 import
micrometers for C clamps. Seem someone had one tucked away in his
tool box a a loner micromiter and it often was used as C clamp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

thanks

Yes, like you can use a micrometer as a C-clamp.

A micrometer would make a lousy C clamp. But would a jig borer make a
lousy drill press?

A jig borer usually is limited in rpm. See if the range will suit what you
need.

It may have limited thrust capability, because it's made to cut with a
small, single-point cutter at limited depths of cut. If you're planning to
use large-diameter drills, you may be overloading it.

The idea behind a jig borer is extreme X-Y positioning accuracy -- far in
excess of anything you can accomplish with a drill bit. You're wasting the
machine's prime asset.

So it depends. IIRC, my comments all apply to an old, non-CNC Moore. If it's
a SIP or other brand, I don't know.

It was an Atlantic jig borer. 2750 lbs weight, I would think it should
have enough HP?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I do not know that machine. Watch out for its thrust capability -- the
weight and horsepower are not indications of what kind of load the thrust
bearings are meant to tolerate, because that is not the kind of load a real
jig borer is intended for.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Usually they are fairly linited in horsepower, too...

--which means that for larger holes you will probably want to start out with
a smaller drill and then progressively step up in diameter either with
larger drills or by plunging with modified endmills ( circular land and
back-taper ) until you are within say .050 or closer after which time
finally you go to a single point tool and either finish with that or else
leave a few thou under and take to final size with a reamer or by honing
instead...

Oh, and Iggy--if you ever happen to find a sip mp-2k for cheap appreciate
let me know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

thanks

Yes, like you can use a micrometer as a C-clamp.

A micrometer would make a lousy C clamp. But would a jig borer make a
lousy drill press?

Long long time ago this forum had a treda about using the $10 import
micrometers for C clamps. * Seem someone had one tucked away in his
tool box a a loner micromiter and it often was used as C clamp

Yes, a Jig Borer can be used for a drill press, but I wouldn't
recommend trying to drill 1.5" dia from scratch in hot-roll ;-) The
shop I apprenticed in years ago had a P&W 2A Jig Borer, and we'd
sometimes use them -carefully- as a drill press, and still hold
'tenths' for precision location boring..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-03, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Oh, and Iggy--if you ever happen to find a sip mp-2k for cheap appreciate
let me know.

What is that?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-03, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Oh, and Iggy--if you ever happen to find a sip mp-2k for cheap appreciate
let me know.

What is that?

Double column SIP with a #2 morse taper spindle, about 14 x 24 travel and
dials about 6in diameter having built-in vernier that allows reliably
positioning the table in .00025" increments.

Perhaps I got the model wrong...and it's the mp3-k I was thinking about...

http://tinyurl.com/3rxe33d