Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SA-200 -- Compression, spark plugs, carb rebuild questions

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:11:06 -0500, Ignoramus23779
wrote:

As I said earlier, I changed my mind and decided to rebuild this
Lincoln SA-200's ignition and carb. I took some pictures

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...d-Spark-Plugs/

as they will tell me how to reassemble the carb, and for asking
questions below. It is my first gas engine rebuild ever, so I
apologize if my questions are stupid.

1. Compression. Measured 130, 135, 135, 137 on four cylinders. How
does it look?

Oh, only a four banger? Good enough, nice and even. Run it!

2. Spark plugs. See above link for pictures of spark plugs. Do they
tell anything interesting? Two look my blacker than the other two.

The center two? With a carb dumping raw gas into them, it's no
wonder. ONce you get the carb rebuilt, check the new plugs after a
couple or three hours of running. It'll need at least that much time
to show you anything.

3. Carb: I called some local carb shop and asked them about the carb
leaking fuel to the intake air filter. The guy told me that 9 times
out of 10 they look at them in this condition, they have to replace
them and something is not "seated", and it is not fixable. WTF? Is
that true?

The float needle is what stops the gas, so if it doesn't seat, it
dumps raw gas down the throat of the carb and floods the engine.
Some of the old 1 and 2bbl carbs had a sheetmetal tab on the top of
the carb which held the needle pivot rod down. If they get bent or go
missing, nothing is holding the needle down when the float comes up.
If the float leaks, it fills with gas and the needle can't seat. Those
are the most common problems.

I've only worked with downdraft carbs. Which style is this? Prolly
sidedraft, eh? IIRC, you said it had a bowl and bail.

4. I took the carb somewhat apart and put it in a gallon of carb
cleaner liquid that is made for soaking carburetors, with a little
basket. How long should I keep that stuff in it?

Usually half an hour. Do NOT soak overnight unless it's a toothless
variety of eco cleaner and they specifically tell you to.

5. What exactly can make the carb needle not do its job, and let
excess of fuel into the intake?

See above.

Thanks guys, sorry for so many questions.

The smart guys ask all the questions. Only fools don't ask any.

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As I said earlier, I changed my mind and decided to rebuild this
Lincoln SA-200's ignition and carb. I took some pictures

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Linc...d-Spark-Plugs/

as they will tell me how to reassemble the carb, and for asking
questions below. It is my first gas engine rebuild ever, so I
apologize if my questions are stupid.

1. Compression. Measured 130, 135, 135, 137 on four cylinders. How
does it look?

Oh, only a four banger? Good enough, nice and even. Run it!

Thanks

2. Spark plugs. See above link for pictures of spark plugs. Do they
tell anything interesting? Two look my blacker than the other two.

The center two? With a carb dumping raw gas into them, it's no
wonder. ONce you get the carb rebuilt, check the new plugs after a
couple or three hours of running. It'll need at least that much time
to show you anything.

Got it

3. Carb: I called some local carb shop and asked them about the carb
leaking fuel to the intake air filter. The guy told me that 9 times
out of 10 they look at them in this condition, they have to replace
them and something is not "seated", and it is not fixable. WTF? Is
that true?

The float needle is what stops the gas, so if it doesn't seat, it
dumps raw gas down the throat of the carb and floods the engine.
Some of the old 1 and 2bbl carbs had a sheetmetal tab on the top of
the carb which held the needle pivot rod down. If they get bent or go
missing, nothing is holding the needle down when the float comes up.
If the float leaks, it fills with gas and the needle can't seat. Those
are the most common problems.

I've only worked with downdraft carbs. Which style is this? Prolly
sidedraft, eh? IIRC, you said it had a bowl and bail.

This is deinfitely an updraft carb.

That's why it dumped the fuel into the air filter.

4. I took the carb somewhat apart and put it in a gallon of carb
cleaner liquid that is made for soaking carburetors, with a little
basket. How long should I keep that stuff in it?

Usually half an hour. Do NOT soak overnight unless it's a toothless
variety of eco cleaner and they specifically tell you to.

OK, it's been about 4 hours, I will take that stuff out.

5. What exactly can make the carb needle not do its job, and let
excess of fuel into the intake?

See above.

I would think that it was just dirt particles that got in the way of
the needle.

Thanks guys, sorry for so many questions.

The smart guys ask all the questions. Only fools don't ask any.

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape...

.... still attached to the hostage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 21:47:58 -0500, Ignoramus23779

On 2011-04-08, Larry Jaques wrote:
I've only worked with downdraft carbs. Which style is this? Prolly
sidedraft, eh? IIRC, you said it had a bowl and bail.

This is deinfitely an updraft carb.

That's why it dumped the fuel into the air filter.

I must have missed that one.

4. I took the carb somewhat apart and put it in a gallon of carb
cleaner liquid that is made for soaking carburetors, with a little
basket. How long should I keep that stuff in it?

Usually half an hour. Do NOT soak overnight unless it's a toothless
variety of eco cleaner and they specifically tell you to.

OK, it's been about 4 hours, I will take that stuff out.

What carb cleaner did you end up using? That's too long for the good
stuff.

5. What exactly can make the carb needle not do its job, and let
excess of fuel into the intake?

See above.

I would think that it was just dirt particles that got in the way of
the needle.

A lot of times, the needle freezes in the seat from being dried out
and it doesn't break loose when the carb is filled with gas.

Thanks guys, sorry for so many questions.

The smart guys ask all the questions. Only fools don't ask any.

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape...

... still attached to the hostage.

Har!

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-04-08, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Which would PREVENT it from leaking - and running.

Thanks guys, sorry for so many questions.

The smart guys ask all the questions. Only fools don't ask any.

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape...

... still attached to the hostage.

Har!

SA-200 -- Compression, spark plugs, carb rebuild questions RosemontCrest Metalworking 34 April 11th 11 06:22 AM
Replace spark plugs p4o2 Home Repair 35 October 23rd 10 02:52 PM
Speaking of broken spark plugs... JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] Home Repair 88 December 9th 09 02:57 PM
Tecumseh/Craftsman Carb Rebuild Ulysses Home Repair 15 May 31st 09 04:47 PM
Snowblower Carb rebuild gone bad? Jim Elbrecht Home Repair 6 December 4th 07 12:54 AM