Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snowblower Carb rebuild gone bad?

I've got an old Toro CCR [3horse?] that was showing signs of carb
problems last year so I rebuilt it last week.

The carb is a diaphragm type on a Tecumseh HSK600-1680s.[replacement
carb is 640086A - the only numbers on this one are '744 9BS']

I knocked out the 2 welch plugs and soaked the carb overnight in carb
cleaner.

Cleaned the plastic needle- it looked fine.

Cleaned gas tank [plastic] and replaced gasoline.

After the rebuild I started it up and it ran ok at factory- warmed it
up, adjusted to what sounded real good. . . and waited for snow.

That was only a week ago, but today I couldn't keep it running. Primed
it, and it started fine- but it acted like it wasn't pumping gas. As
soon as the primed gas ran out, it died. Tried adjusting the carb
back to factory- but it wouldn't stay running for more than about 30
seconds. I repeated it often enough to warm the thing up, but it
still won't stay running.

I'll play with it more tomorrow- but I'm wondering if someone has run
across this before.

Because it doesn't seem to be pumping, my first thought is that I put
the diaphragm in wrong, but then why did it run so well last week?

Thanks,
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:13:44 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

That was only a week ago, but today I couldn't keep it running. Primed
it, and it started fine- but it acted like it wasn't pumping gas.

Check your oil-fuel mix ratio. I had similar problems with mine for
three seasons. Did the strip down clean up routine too. Having done
everything mechanically reasonable the only thing left was the 50:1
fuel-oil mix ratio as embossed on the fuel cap. That fixed the
problem. I had been doing the mix by guesswork and inevitably there
was "ratio creep." Get a calibrated plastic squeeze bottle from the
Dollar Store to store your 2-stroke oil. 40 ml mixed in a 2 liter pop
bottle is just the right amount for (my) a single snow clearing chore.

Among the many fixes I tried I had heated the cylinder head with a
paint stripper heat gun to get the snowblower going from a lower than
minus 20 C cold start. I don't have to do that any more but I find a
half minute's heating the carb cup really helps to get the machine
started with a pull or two in the coldest weather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 19:28:56 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Someetimes the float needle sticks in the seat. Tip the machine on its side,
take the float bowl off, wiggle the float. Make sure the needle moves.

diaphragm carb- so no float. But I took the thing apart again- the
needle seemed to be moving freely, and sent bubbles back up the gas
line when I worked it. [clear line has an advantage] But still no joy
on running without constant priming.

The carbs are $50. Probably should have gone with a new one in the
first place.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a old snowblower with Brigs and Stratton 5.5 eng. The unit has no
primer bulb or button .Problem is in order to start this guy I need to pore
a shot glass of gas in the spark plug hole. Would a carb kit help?
Eng is Brigs #110900
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:17:16 -0600, "Frank"
wrote:

I have a old snowblower with Brigs and Stratton 5.5 eng. The unit has no
primer bulb or button .Problem is in order to start this guy I need to pore
a shot glass of gas in the spark plug hole. Would a carb kit help?
Eng is Brigs #110900
Frank

Might help - the carb kits are cheap enough. Or you could end up like
me and spend $12 on a kit- $10 more on cleaner. . . a couple hours
working . . . and then buying a new carb.g

For yours the carb is about $65 here-
http://www.psep2.biz/pages/parts/vie...sStratton.aspx

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a old snowblower with Brigs and Stratton 5.5 eng. The unit has no
primer bulb or button .Problem is in order to start this guy I need to pore
a shot glass of gas in the spark plug hole. Would a carb kit help?
Eng is Brigs #110900
Frank

Might help - the carb kits are cheap enough. Or you could end up like
me and spend $12 on a kit- $10 more on cleaner. . . a couple hours
working . . . and then buying a new carb.g

For yours the carb is about $65 here-http://www.psep2.biz/pages/parts/viewbybrand/10/BriggsStratton.aspx

Jim

They also make an aftermarket gas cap for Briggs that has a primer
built-in.

Tecum Snowblower Engines: Any Carb Adj. Anymore ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 February 16th 06 10:06 PM
For Anyone Familiar With Carb. On Tecumseh 7 HP Snowblower Engine Robert11 Home Repair 1 November 3rd 05 03:34 AM
Carb Adjustments ? Patch Home Repair 5 June 1st 05 11:08 PM
Toro snowblower carb jet settings Roland Home Repair 3 January 28th 05 04:25 AM
Tecumseh carb 5 hp Craftsman [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 25th 05 04:00 PM