Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default REALLY LOUSY VIDEO of the mill ACTUALLY MOVING in 2-D

Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:25:50 -0500, the renowned Ignoramus3594
wrote:

Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

Congratulations! Major milestone.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

Congratulations! Major milestone.

Thanks. My next urgent task is to wire the lubrication pump, as I do
not want to move the table too much without the lube pump working.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3594 wrote:

Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

Very cool.

I'd suggest picking up some 3/4" MDF to use for your first test cuts,
it's cheap, easy to mill, doesn't need any coolant and you can collect
the dust fairly easily by holding a shop vac hose next to the cutter.

MDF is also good for future use testing your G-code before loading an
expensive piece of metal or a one of a kind part. I did a bunch of test
engraving on MDF before running some aluminum parts I had anodized
(http://wpnet.us/nn_clone/index.htm).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3594 wrote:
Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

Ummm, yeah, the video quality is not so hot, but why should a PHONE even
be able to record video?

Great progress, Igor! It is going together real fast now!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3594 wrote:

Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

Very cool.

Thanks. I was also quite excited.

I'd suggest picking up some 3/4" MDF to use for your first test cuts,
it's cheap, easy to mill, doesn't need any coolant and you can collect
the dust fairly easily by holding a shop vac hose next to the cutter.

MDF is also good for future use testing your G-code before loading an
expensive piece of metal or a one of a kind part. I did a bunch of test
engraving on MDF before running some aluminum parts I had anodized
(http://wpnet.us/nn_clone/index.htm).

I have a couple of questions about it, one is, is it abrasive,
another, is it corrosive (someone told me that all wood is
corrosive).

I will try to use machinable wax, which I can remelt. I saw some
recipes of machinable wax that seem pretty simple. I bought a couple
of pieces.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
I'd suggest picking up some 3/4" MDF to use for your first test cuts,
it's cheap, easy to mill, doesn't need any coolant and you can collect
the dust fairly easily by holding a shop vac hose next to the cutter.

MDF is also good for future use testing your G-code before loading an
expensive piece of metal or a one of a kind part. I did a bunch of test
engraving on MDF before running some aluminum parts I had anodized
(http://wpnet.us/nn_clone/index.htm).

Yuck! VERY messy, the dust gets into everything. If you ever want to
use coolant, you
will regret MDF or other wood fiber products. Even just cutting a
little bit into some wood back-up material in a one-time fixture makes
some mess when it gets into my coolant system.

Wax can be machined, and the fuzz collected and remelted for another
try. There are a bunch of formulas for prototyping wax, but plain
candle wax works pretty well.

The Axis preview on EMC2 is so good, I rarely get as far as starting the
machine before I realize something is wrong in the program.
Because the screen is cumulative, you can actually load two programs and
see the way they fit together. For instance, a program that mills
pockets and a program that drills mounting holes. You can use Axis to
view both programs together to make sure they have the right
relationship. (Just an odd use I did today to cross-check two programs.)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3594 wrote:
Thanks. My next urgent task is to wire the lubrication pump, as I do
not want to move the table too much without the lube pump working.

You can always plug it into the wall socket to make sure the machine is
lubed (assuming
120 V AC motor.)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-19, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus3594 wrote:
Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

Ummm, yeah, the video quality is not so hot, but why should a PHONE even
be able to record video?

A phone is a computer.

So is my mill's control.

Great progress, Igor! It is going together real fast now!

Yes, things are moving along. Thanks for your support and providing a
great product.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus3594 wrote:

[...]

Not particularly, and it's easy enough to wipe away whatever dust gets
past your shop vac.

another, is it corrosive (someone told me that all wood is
corrosive).

No, but wood does tend to attract and absorb moisture, so you don't want
to leave metal buried under MDF dust.

I will try to use machinable wax, which I can remelt. I saw some
recipes of machinable wax that seem pretty simple. I bought a couple
of pieces.

Machineable wax is certainly another option, just not readily available
at your local big box store.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
I'd suggest picking up some 3/4" MDF to use for your first test cuts,
it's cheap, easy to mill, doesn't need any coolant and you can collect
the dust fairly easily by holding a shop vac hose next to the cutter.

MDF is also good for future use testing your G-code before loading an
expensive piece of metal or a one of a kind part. I did a bunch of test
engraving on MDF before running some aluminum parts I had anodized
(http://wpnet.us/nn_clone/index.htm).

Yuck! VERY messy, the dust gets into everything. If you ever want to
use coolant, you
will regret MDF or other wood fiber products. Even just cutting a
little bit into some wood back-up material in a one-time fixture makes
some mess when it gets into my coolant system.

I've milled a bunch of MDF and not had a problem. My ordinary shop vac
does a great job collecting nearly all of the dust. If I were running it
on a CNC mill, I'd make a collection nozzle with brush perimeter to go
around the spindle, but on a manual mill, just holding the shop vac hose
next to the end mill works fine.

Wax can be machined, and the fuzz collected and remelted for another
try. There are a bunch of formulas for prototyping wax, but plain
candle wax works pretty well.

Wax is fine too, just not as cheap and readily available.

The Axis preview on EMC2 is so good, I rarely get as far as starting the
machine before I realize something is wrong in the program.
Because the screen is cumulative, you can actually load two programs and
see the way they fit together. For instance, a program that mills
pockets and a program that drills mounting holes. You can use Axis to
view both programs together to make sure they have the right
relationship. (Just an odd use I did today to cross-check two programs.)

Dry runs with Z inhibit are also good for testing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 18, 10:25*pm, Ignoramus3594
wrote:
Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...teract-2-CNC-M...

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

That is WAY COOL. Congratulations, Iggy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-19, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus3594 wrote:
Thanks. My next urgent task is to wire the lubrication pump, as I do
not want to move the table too much without the lube pump working.

You can always plug it into the wall socket to make sure the machine is
lubed (assuming
120 V AC motor.)

I did wire it properly last night. I am still not sure how it works,
but the empty pockets seem to slowly move along the translucent
lines. They move very slowly and I am not sure how much lube was
really delivered to the moving parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 18, 9:25*pm, Ignoramus3594
wrote:
Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...teract-2-CNC-M...

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

I tried searching through the several posts from you on this. I did
not see how you were adressing the Z-axis. I assume the series II has
a rack and pinion quill, that has a big back-lash problem. But that's
why I'm asking, as I have a Index mill that would have this Z-axis as
a problem if not solved in some other way.
ignator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus3594" wrote in message
Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

You remember when you did that manually by turning the handwheels from
coordinates? It would take a lot of practice to be able to do it that fast!
:-)

Congratulations!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-20, RogerN wrote:

"Ignoramus3594" wrote in message
Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

You remember when you did that manually by turning the handwheels from
coordinates? It would take a lot of practice to be able to do it that fast!
:-)

So true.

I still have that piece of steel with "Egyptian CNC" made circle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-20, RogerN wrote:

"Ignoramus3594" wrote in message
Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

You remember when you did that manually by turning the handwheels from
coordinates? It would take a lot of practice to be able to do it that
fast!
:-)

So true.

I still have that piece of steel with "Egyptian CNC" made circle.

When you was doing that I thought you would enjoy a CNC machine. For a home
shop I think it's hard to beat a machine like you have, you probably would
spend more money for a CNC stepper driven sherline mill. The Sherline mill
would be more portable though! You could have spent a considerable amount
of money fixing the old control and everytime something broke you would be
at their mercy to get it going again, darn, another $2000 board. Now I
don't think you'll need a repairman for the controls, you'll be able to fix
it yourself.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-20, RogerN wrote:

[...]

Yes. Exactly. Plus, using the old control, even in the best case,
would be so clunky compared to XEmacs/Linux/Perl/EMC2. These guys
really did a fabulous job.

The key to repairability is to make a good electrical schematic and
label everything.

I actually "broke" something, I tried to wire all limit switches and
as a result, the estops and limits stopped working. I will be fixing
that tonight.

Size-wise, this is a perfect home shop machine. 2-3 HP, big table,
etc. I can get to all of its hardware relatively easily.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3594 wrote:

Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

Hey attaboy! Took me a minute to realize the workbench with tools is your mill bed.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-20, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus3594 wrote:

Made an adapter plate and wired the Y axis encoder. Connected both X
and Y axis servos to the actual ball screws. After some fiddling, I
can now move in X-Y and the [****ty] video from my cell phone shows
the table cutting circles in X-y.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...irst-X-Y-Move/

This is the mill executing my first ever file with g-codes.

Hey attaboy! Took me a minute to realize the workbench with tools is your mill bed.

This is an illustration of the law of free flat surfaces.they tend not
to last

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus23878 wrote:

Hey attaboy! Took me a minute to realize the workbench with tools is your mill bed.

This is an illustration of the law of free flat surfaces.they tend not
to last

I survey the area around me and can make testament that the law is as as strong as
gravity.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21191 wrote:

I did wire it properly last night. I am still not sure how it works,
but the empty pockets seem to slowly move along the translucent
lines. They move very slowly and I am not sure how much lube was
really delivered to the moving parts.

You may want to leave this on until the air bubbles are all out, and the
edges of the ways are weeping oil out.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3594 wrote:
Ummm, yeah, the video quality is not so hot, but why should a PHONE even
be able to record video?

A phone is a computer.

Yeah, what I was getting at is that putting too much functionality into
one device (phone, PDA, camera, ipod, email/net browser, etc.) and
eventually it starts to do all of the above poorly. I don't even HAVE a
cell phone. First, I was worried about vague rumors of an EMI hazard,
now the damn things just don't work! I get these calls where there's
nobody there, and if you wait a while, a recorded message comes on
"please wait while Glimmelfarb Networks connects your call"! So, the
stupid $5/month cell network can't afford enough backbone bandwidth to
build a circuit until the called party ANSWERS the call! Well, the hell
if I'm going to wait for them to buy network resources to connect
whoever the hell is calling me! Sheesh! I'm fed up.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus21191 wrote:

I did wire it properly last night. I am still not sure how it works,
but the empty pockets seem to slowly move along the translucent
lines. They move very slowly and I am not sure how much lube was
really delivered to the moving parts.

You may want to leave this on until the air bubbles are all out, and the
edges of the ways are weeping oil out.

Good idea. Iggy needs to look at all mating surfaces and look for oil. Many machines
have been seriously hurt by one plugged oiling port.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ignator wrote:

I tried searching through the several posts from you on this. I did
not see how you were adressing the Z-axis. I assume the series II has
a rack and pinion quill, that has a big back-lash problem.

No, this was originally a CNC machine, not a manual retrofit. Older
Bridgeport BOSS 3-axis heads have the ballscrew track ground RIGHT INTO
the quill. The nut is a massive sleeve riding on a pair of tapered
roller bearings around the quill.

Some other machines, like the Ez-Track, use a more common manual head,
but install a ballscrew as close to the quill as possible, where the
stop rod goes on the standard manual head. That's what I did on my
retrofit, too, and it works pretty well.

The 2-axis BOSS machines had the ghastly "spindle wizard" which was a
turret stop and air cylinder, totally useless for most real CNC work,
but again it can be retrofitted with a ballscrew.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-20, Wes wrote:

Hey attaboy! Took me a minute to realize the workbench with tools is your mill bed.

This is an illustration of the law of free flat surfaces.they tend not
to last

Boy, tell me about it! My whole shop looks like that, EXCEPT the mill
table.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Yeah, what I was getting at is that putting too much functionality into
one device (phone, PDA, camera, ipod, email/net browser, etc.) and
eventually it starts to do all of the above poorly.

I'm rather irritated that the Palm line of PDA's died with a model that can't do WPA wifi
afaikt. My Palm did a fine job doing it's part and my cell phone did fine making calls.

The darned Treo was too small, had a stupid chicklet keyboard, and was a sign my tool of
choice for jotting down info was a pachyderm.

I like tools that do one thing well. While I have a few swiss army knifes, I'd rather
carry a real knife, screwdriver, ect.

The Palm sucked as a MP3 player even using Aeroplayer but my Sansa E200 and E250 have
rocked as MP3 players after I rock boxed them www.rockbox.org.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-20, Wes wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus21191 wrote:

I did wire it properly last night. I am still not sure how it works,
but the empty pockets seem to slowly move along the translucent
lines. They move very slowly and I am not sure how much lube was
really delivered to the moving parts.

You may want to leave this on until the air bubbles are all out, and the
edges of the ways are weeping oil out.

Good idea. Iggy needs to look at all mating surfaces and look for oil. Many machines
have been seriously hurt by one plugged oiling port.

Yes, I will try that - leaving it on for a while.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-20, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus3594 wrote:
[...]

Mine works pretty well. It even has a decent photo camera.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-20, Jon Elson wrote:
ignator wrote:

[...]

This is a real CNC machine, it was such from the beginning. It does
not look like a retrofitted manual machine like some other
Bridgeports. It is actually very well made, they did not take many
shortcuts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-20, Wes wrote:

Hey attaboy! Took me a minute to realize the workbench with tools is your mill bed.

This is an illustration of the law of free flat surfaces.they tend not
to last

Boy, tell me about it! My whole shop looks like that, EXCEPT the mill
table.

Jon

The table on my manual BP also does not look like this.

Stop by for a beer one day.