Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Looking for Tooling

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I've got a customer trying to drill a 1-1/16" diameter hole through a thin
(1/16") piece of wood/plastic composite material.

They can't really use a hole saw because the "plug" gets stuck in the
center
of the tool and the process is automatic, running a few hundred holes per
shift and only stopping the drill machine to end a shift or change a tool.

Same basic problem a sheet metal guy would have... Except this stuff is
even softer and does not drill with sheet metal tooling.

I know they make plug ejection tooling for metalworking hole saws (I sell
'em!) but they don't work with thin wood or plastic materials so I doubt
they will work with this.

I'm thinking there is either a special tool for this that ejects the plug
or
that someone sells a unibit (stepped drill bit) off the shelf with the
1-1/16" diameter capability... But I can't find the daggone thing.

Anyone have any good ideas for me other than having custom tooling made or
modifying a standard hole saw? Maybe a source for that stepped drill bit
(looks like a Christmas tree).

Already tried McMaster and MSC but I'm sure there are other options out
there or that I may have missed it.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

My major problem when working with the materials you describe is cracking or
shredding, leaving you a raggedy edge. I would use a fine tooth hole saw,
and just take out the cutting between cuts. You may be able to stack more
than one piece at a time, and this would help if you can keep all the sheets
from shifting and making your cut untrue.

Let us know what works.

Steve

Looking for Tooling dan Metalworking 0 July 5th 10 08:15 PM
Material for tooling David R.Birch Metalworking 0 February 6th 09 11:53 AM
EMCO 8.6 - tooling? RB[_2_] Metalworking 9 July 9th 08 02:52 PM
#50 NMTB tooling available Jon[_4_] Metalworking 0 July 3rd 08 06:57 PM
Tooling up for SMT Z Electronics Repair 5 May 20th 04 07:36 PM