Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default EMCO 8.6 - tooling?

After work today I will pick up an EMCO 8.6 lathe, with no tooling save
a faceplate. It's cheap enough to make it a no-brainer, tooling or no.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/741503936.html

So what kind of spindle nose will this thing have?
Is there a source for chucks and collet closer at something less than
Austrian prices?
Anything else I need to know about these?
Part it out?
Suggestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are a couple of Yahoo groups relating to Emco machines.
Try this one:

I've found them helpful.

Blue Ridge Machinery has some EMCO parts, but they are a bit pricey.

Charlie

"RB" wrote :
After work today I will pick up an EMCO 8.6 lathe, with no tooling save
a faceplate. It's cheap enough to make it a no-brainer, tooling or no.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/741503936.html

So what kind of spindle nose will this thing have?
Is there a source for chucks and collet closer at something less than
Austrian prices?
Anything else I need to know about these?
Part it out?
Suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 09:40:08 -0500, RB
wrote:

After work today I will pick up an EMCO 8.6 lathe, with no tooling save
a faceplate. It's cheap enough to make it a no-brainer, tooling or no.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/741503936.html

So what kind of spindle nose will this thing have?
Is there a source for chucks and collet closer at something less than
Austrian prices?
Anything else I need to know about these?
Part it out?
Suggestions?

================
I don't know for sure as the Emco had different spindle noses for
different markets, but my Emco compact 10 has a D1-4 mount.
Chucks are available through Harbor Freight on up.

Most of larger American market Emcos with a D1-4 spindle nose
appear to have the spindle with a *STUB* #5 morse taper so a 5C
collet adapter is available. The spindle bore however is stepped
down so the actual size of material you can run through the
spindle is perhaps 3/4 inch.

see
http://mcduffee-associates.us/machining/emcoLathes.htm
scroll to bottom to download manuals in pdf format

One source of specifically Emco parts in the US is Blue Ridge
http://www.blueridgemachinery.com/th..._machine?.html

Also see
http://www.emcomaier-usa.com/
http://www.emco.at/index.php?changelang=en
http://www.emco.co.uk/pdffiles/conventional_en.pdf
http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page4.html
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Collet-chuck-f...80628095a13560

for one source of "store bought" collet closers see
http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catID=3
given the prices, this appears to be a case where "rolling your
own" makes good economic sense.
http://www.processregister.com/Colle...s/pid34595.htm
While for Southbend the following may give you some ideas
http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetai...=5cnose&cat=10
also see the 3c closer close to top of page
http://www.tools4cheap.net/products.php?cat=10
[stick with 5C collets as these are much cheaper]

Good luck, and let the group know how you make out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Very helpful.
Blue Ridge accessories don't seem all that expensive. Set of change
gears $185.

Looks like I need to do some reading. thanks for the links.

Rex

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'll check those out.
I'm already on about 200 groups, surprised I didn't think of that.
There is almost literally a group for every interest.

"RB" wrote :
After work today I will pick up an EMCO 8.6 lathe, with no tooling save
a faceplate. It's cheap enough to make it a no-brainer, tooling or no.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/741503936.html

So what kind of spindle nose will this thing have?
Is there a source for chucks and collet closer at something less than
Austrian prices?
Anything else I need to know about these?
Part it out?
Suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Charles Rowe wrote:
There are a couple of Yahoo groups relating to Emco machines.
Try this one:

I've found them helpful.

Blue Ridge Machinery has some EMCO parts, but they are a bit pricey.

The chuck seemed high at $385, but a lot of the other stuff wasn't that
bad. $170 for a steady rest, $185 for change gears.

Thanks

Charlie

"RB" wrote :
After work today I will pick up an EMCO 8.6 lathe, with no tooling save
a faceplate. It's cheap enough to make it a no-brainer, tooling or no.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/741503936.html

So what kind of spindle nose will this thing have?
Is there a source for chucks and collet closer at something less than
Austrian prices?
Anything else I need to know about these?
Part it out?
Suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:
After work today I will pick up an EMCO 8.6 lathe, with no tooling save
a faceplate. It's cheap enough to make it a no-brainer, tooling or no.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/741503936.html

So what kind of spindle nose will this thing have?
Is there a source for chucks and collet closer at something less than
Austrian prices?
Anything else I need to know about these?
Part it out?
Suggestions?

It has a ******* variant of a DIN spec spindle nose, that is a bolt on
affair that uses studs on the chuck, through holes on the face of the
spindle.
The bad of that, is that the chucks are neither plentiful nor cheap.

It is a similar system to what is used on some of the cheaper small
Chinese lathes, on the plus side, and they may be able to be adapted.
Adapt the Chinese chuck to fit, rather than modifiying the spindle,
FWIW. You may have to recruit some help, or use a bit of "less than
Optimal" setting up to get done what needs, but you should be able to
get a useable chuck for pretty cheap from the likes of Harbor Freight etc.

Having the exactcorrect pitch gears is great if you are filling in a
set, but if you have to build the whole set, buy as cheaply as you can,
all the same pitch, and you will be workin'.
Of course, if you can get a stock set... so much the better, but if
all you need is feeds and a few threads, you can build a set accordingly.

Your best bet on a collet closer is a manual drawtube type. Easy to
make, or adapt. At least for being affordable.
There are chucks made for the Chinese lathes that use ER series
collets. Not fast to load and unload, but still collets.

Cheers
Trev

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

there is a yahoo group for the larger emco lathes (7,8,v10) and these
models also share many accessories and parts.

I believe that the chinese 18x8 lathes are a knockoff of this emco and
there is a yahoo group for that as well.

good luck
dan

On Jul 8, 5:40*pm, RB wrote:
After work today I will pick up an EMCO 8.6 lathe, with no tooling save
a faceplate. *It's cheap enough to make it a no-brainer, tooling or no.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/741503936.html

So what kind of spindle nose will this thing have?
Is there a source for chucks and collet closer at something less than
Austrian prices?
Anything else I need to know about these?
Part it out?
Suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor Jones wrote:
RB wrote:
[...]

Good idea, I'll look at that.
It comes with a faceplate which I had thought to cut down to a backing
plate for a chuck. But it's a nice item and I don't want to destroy it.

Having the exactcorrect pitch gears is great if you are filling in a
set, but if you have to build the whole set, buy as cheaply as you can,
all the same pitch, and you will be workin'.
Of course, if you can get a stock set... so much the better, but if all
you need is feeds and a few threads, you can build a set accordingly.
Your best bet on a collet closer is a manual drawtube type. Easy to
make, or adapt. At least for being affordable.
There are chucks made for the Chinese lathes that use ER series
collets. Not fast to load and unload, but still collets.

Looks like a new set of change gears is about $165. That's not too bad,
considering. Same vendor (ebay UK) has a collet chuck for about $100,
but collets look like the expensive part.
With a collet closer and collets I could get by without a chuck for
a while. I have other lathes with chucks.

thanks for the suggestions!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan pines wrote:
there is a yahoo group for the larger emco lathes (7,8,v10) and these
models also share many accessories and parts.

I believe that the chinese 18x8 lathes are a knockoff of this emco and
there is a yahoo group for that as well.

I looked at that, and joined, but haven't found much useful yet. Still
reading old posts.
I'd like to look at a HF 8x18, but the local stores (Ft Worth) don't
seem to keep them.

Emco Bandsaw gtmillion Woodworking 0 June 19th 06 08:43 PM
Emco Compact 5 zoned Metalworking 5 January 24th 06 03:38 PM
Emco 220 dreamchopper Metalworking 1 March 29th 05 05:54 AM
EMCO mill FB-2 BCsteamer Metalworking 0 March 3rd 05 09:45 PM
Emco v-10 Chuck HELP!! :) Tom the Tinkerer Metalworking 7 May 13th 04 06:36 AM