Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Whatzit called?

Steve,
This is when you chuck up a piece of 1" barstock in your 3 jaw, bore a 3/8"
hole and part off as many as you need, 'cuz it takes far less time than the
sourcing, ordering and shipping of said parts. This is a metal working NG
isn't it?
Steve

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
A friend of mine picks up all sorts of things from his union job, many of
which are in or headed for the dumper. Recently he brought me some THICK
washers that were labeled EARTHQUAKE SPACERS (or something like that. I'm
sure about the earthquake part, not sure about the spacer part) They were
about 1" in diameter, 1" thick, had a 3/8" hole through the axis of the
cylinder, and had a brass looking coating. They were six in a package.
Now I need more for a project. I know they are called spacers, but is
there a specialty name for them?

Steve

--
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 07:45:54 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

[...]

now that is the mark of true genius.
who ever would have thought that some one could actually make
themselves a cylinder of metal an inch diameter, an inch thick with a
3/8th hole bored through the material.

wonder of wonders...

Lusardi, in this consumerist age you are such a thinker.
did one of your ancestors invent something called a wheel?????

now let us close our eyes and think of a brass looking coating applied
to steel..........
......zzzzzzz ooops! ummmm
bing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cadmium plating.
.....and I didnt even use google.

Stealth (I'd label them Squiggly Wiggly Earthquake Spacers -OSLT)
Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 21:24:39 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

bing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cadmium plating.
....and I didnt even use google.

Zinc chromate!

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 21:24:39 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

bing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cadmium plating.
....and I didnt even use google.

Zinc chromate!

Right. It's far more likely.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:19:10 -0800, SteveB wrote:
A friend of mine picks up all sorts of things from his union job, many
of which are in or headed for the dumper. Recently he brought me some
THICK washers that were labeled EARTHQUAKE SPACERS (or something like
that. I'm sure about the earthquake part, not sure about the spacer
part) They were about 1" in diameter, 1" thick, had a 3/8" hole through
the axis of the cylinder, and had a brass looking coating. They were
six in a package. Now I need more for a project. I know they are
called spacers, but is there a specialty name for them?

If you don't find an off-the-shelf item, perhaps look for some
thick-wall tube or pipe to cut up. For example, I had no trouble
finding 1.000" OD, .5" ID steel pipe at a local steel supplier a few
years ago. This would be a lot less work to use than if you have
to drill the center hole, as another poster suggested doing.

What are you going to do with the spacers? Does the plating
matter, do you have to have steel (vs other metals or plastic),
what dimensions do you need?

--
jiw