Dave

Default Another "whatzit" guys..

This was found in a N. Ga barn. There are no impact marks on the heel,
and the "edge" is not nor has ever been sharpened. The loop is centered
axially. It looks to be either cast iron/steel, or drop forged judging
by the "seam".
I have only had a chance to photo this; spark test would be next,
unless one of ya'll can ID this:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/o/molly9/target0.html

Thanks!

~Dave,

Demo Smith Red Top Mtn. State Park

http://gastateparks.org/net/go/parks...id=21&siteid=5
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 01:14:22 -0400, Dave wrote:

This was found in a N. Ga barn. There are no impact marks on the heel,
and the "edge" is not nor has ever been sharpened. The loop is centered
axially. It looks to be either cast iron/steel, or drop forged judging
by the "seam".
I have only had a chance to photo this; spark test would be next,
unless one of ya'll can ID this:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/o/molly9/target0.html

Thanks!

~Dave,

Demo Smith Red Top Mtn. State Park

http://gastateparks.org/net/go/parks...id=21&siteid=5

A wedge to prevent binding when cross cut sawing timber, it is pounded
into the kerf behind the saw blade before or as soon as it starts to
close up. You can actually see the timber bow upward as the kerf is
opened up. The loop is there to attach a wire on the other end of
which is tied a brightly coloured rag to help locate the wedge when it
is dropped in deep snow etc.
Wedges for chain saw work are normally made of aluminium, since the
operator has much less control, and things happen a lot faster and
more expensively.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
PrecisionMachinisT

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message

Wedges for chain saw work are normally made of aluminium, since the
operator has much less control, and things happen a lot faster and
more expensively.

Actually, many faller's wedges are made of plastic nowdays.

http://www.bcforestryinfo.com/forest...saw/part4.html

--

SVL

Dave

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message

Wedges for chain saw work are normally made of aluminium, since the
operator has much less control, and things happen a lot faster and
more expensively.

Actually, many faller's wedges are made of plastic nowdays.

I dunno. If it's a fallers wedge, or a kerf wedge, it is "New, Out of
Barn". No hammermarks on the heel. The concept of the loop for a marker
rag adds to the novelty.

Textile industry machine piece is a possibility, FWIW. My guess, only.

Please, keep playing!

~Dave
Mungo Bulge

"Dave" wrote in message

| PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
|
| "Gerald Miller" wrote in message
|
| Wedges for chain saw work are normally made of aluminium, since
the
| operator has much less control, and things happen a lot faster
and
| more expensively.
|
| Actually, many faller's wedges are made of plastic nowdays.
|
| I dunno. If it's a fallers wedge, or a kerf wedge, it is "New, Out
of
| Barn". No hammermarks on the heel. The concept of the loop for a
marker
| rag adds to the novelty.
|
| Textile industry machine piece is a possibility, FWIW. My guess,
only.

| Please, keep playing!
|
| ~Dave

Why? Gerry nailed it first time. It's a kerf wedge. A felling wedge is
thicker. There are no hammer marks because the kerf wedge was always
driven by wooden mall or beetle. The eyelet was used to tie off the
wedge so it would not fall as the kerf opened, a valuable asset when
used with a saw pit, as a falling wedge could easily become a "widow
maker" if it struck the "under dog" as the pit sawyer was called.

--
The Road Warrior Hobbit

Gerald Miller

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 23:52:20 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
.. .

Wedges for chain saw work are normally made of aluminium, since the
operator has much less control, and things happen a lot faster and
more expensively.

Actually, many faller's wedges are made of plastic nowdays.

http://www.bcforestryinfo.com/forest...saw/part4.html

Just goes to show how long since I got married and became a "City Boy"
(43 years)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
William Wixon

i was in china in 1982, i witnessed with my own eyes two guys sawing a huge
log into a beam for a temple that had been destroyed during the cultural
revolution. i was astounded to see (two) human power being employed to rip
saw a log. (this wasn't just a "historical re-creation" either, it seemed
to me the government wouldn't allocate funds (electricity) to rebuild this
temple, it was in the south and i had the impression it was an islamic
temple). one guy standing on the log, the log in a wood cradle, one guy in
a pit below. that's hard work huh? i guess they'd be EXPERTS in saw
sharpening.
never considered that possibility, a kerf wedge falling on some guy's
head. ouch. you'd think they could just as easily used a wooden wedge
though huh?

b.w.

(also rode on steam powered trains, that was totally awesome too! they
truly did seem like living things, steam and fire breathing dragons hauling
these long streams of rail cars.)

"Mungo Bulge" wrote in message

Why? Gerry nailed it first time. It's a kerf wedge. A felling wedge is
thicker. There are no hammer marks because the kerf wedge was always
driven by wooden mall or beetle. The eyelet was used to tie off the
wedge so it would not fall as the kerf opened, a valuable asset when
used with a saw pit, as a falling wedge could easily become a "widow
maker" if it struck the "under dog" as the pit sawyer was called.

--
The Road Warrior Hobbit

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
.. .

Wedges for chain saw work are normally made of aluminium, since the
operator has much less control, and things happen a lot faster and
more expensively.

Actually, many faller's wedges are made of plastic nowdays.

http://www.bcforestryinfo.com/forest...saw/part4.html
Just goes to show how long since I got married and became a "City Boy"
(43 years)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

And they were already plastic when I was working in the
woods 31 years ago, so that narrows the transition from
metal to plastic to a pretty narrow range.

Ned Simmons