Mungo Bulge

"Dave" wrote in message

| PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
|
| "Gerald Miller" wrote in message
|
| Wedges for chain saw work are normally made of aluminium, since
the
| operator has much less control, and things happen a lot faster
and
| more expensively.
|
| Actually, many faller's wedges are made of plastic nowdays.
|
| I dunno. If it's a fallers wedge, or a kerf wedge, it is "New, Out
of
| Barn". No hammermarks on the heel. The concept of the loop for a
marker
| rag adds to the novelty.
|
| Textile industry machine piece is a possibility, FWIW. My guess,
only.

| Please, keep playing!
|
| ~Dave

Why? Gerry nailed it first time. It's a kerf wedge. A felling wedge is
thicker. There are no hammer marks because the kerf wedge was always
driven by wooden mall or beetle. The eyelet was used to tie off the
wedge so it would not fall as the kerf opened, a valuable asset when
used with a saw pit, as a falling wedge could easily become a "widow
maker" if it struck the "under dog" as the pit sawyer was called.

--
The Road Warrior Hobbit