William Wixon

i was in china in 1982, i witnessed with my own eyes two guys sawing a huge
log into a beam for a temple that had been destroyed during the cultural
revolution. i was astounded to see (two) human power being employed to rip
saw a log. (this wasn't just a "historical re-creation" either, it seemed
to me the government wouldn't allocate funds (electricity) to rebuild this
temple, it was in the south and i had the impression it was an islamic
temple). one guy standing on the log, the log in a wood cradle, one guy in
a pit below. that's hard work huh? i guess they'd be EXPERTS in saw
sharpening.
never considered that possibility, a kerf wedge falling on some guy's
head. ouch. you'd think they could just as easily used a wooden wedge
though huh?

b.w.

(also rode on steam powered trains, that was totally awesome too! they
truly did seem like living things, steam and fire breathing dragons hauling
these long streams of rail cars.)

"Mungo Bulge" wrote in message

Why? Gerry nailed it first time. It's a kerf wedge. A felling wedge is
thicker. There are no hammer marks because the kerf wedge was always
driven by wooden mall or beetle. The eyelet was used to tie off the
wedge so it would not fall as the kerf opened, a valuable asset when
used with a saw pit, as a falling wedge could easily become a "widow
maker" if it struck the "under dog" as the pit sawyer was called.

--
The Road Warrior Hobbit