Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD tray has an attitude

My son has a Toshiba TV with an integrated DVD player. He said that the tray
will no longer open (with a DVD stuck in it) and if he hits PLAY, the
picture is garbled and static.

So, I opened up the TV hoping to find something obvious like something stuck
or broken in it. No such luck. He is what I did find...

1. When you press Open/Close, the TV powers up the DVD spindle operates
(searching for a disc?) but no tray activity at all.
2. When you manualy open the tray with the exposed gear and the power is on,
nothing happens at all. Tray moves freely.
3. If you power up with the tray open via #2 above, the tray closes
automatically. No response after that.
4. I jiggled all of the related connectors to the DVD player (just in case)
which is made by Orion BTW.

Does anyone have any pointers beside that of a TV repair shop?

Thanks, Lar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Slight correction...

If he hits PLAY or TV/DVD the Toshiba DVD screen is bent is seems to be kind
of rolling vertically.

"Larry B" wrote in message
m...
My son has a Toshiba TV with an integrated DVD player. He said that the
tray will no longer open (with a DVD stuck in it) and if he hits PLAY, the
picture is garbled and static.

So, I opened up the TV hoping to find something obvious like something
stuck or broken in it. No such luck. He is what I did find...

1. When you press Open/Close, the TV powers up the DVD spindle operates
(searching for a disc?) but no tray activity at all.
2. When you manualy open the tray with the exposed gear and the power is
on, nothing happens at all. Tray moves freely.
3. If you power up with the tray open via #2 above, the tray closes
automatically. No response after that.
4. I jiggled all of the related connectors to the DVD player (just in
case) which is made by Orion BTW.

Does anyone have any pointers beside that of a TV repair shop?

Thanks, Lar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi Sam, yes, the TV works fine on an antenna.

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Does the TV work normally on antenna or cable?

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above
is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is included
in the

"Larry B" writes:

Slight correction...

If he hits PLAY or TV/DVD the Toshiba DVD screen is bent is seems to be
kind
of rolling vertically.

"Larry B" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Larry B" wrote in message
m...
Hi Sam, yes, the TV works fine on an antenna.

Larry. The DVD section is likely to be almost independant from the rest of
the unit. Often, they are just a standard player with the covers removed,
grafted into the set's cabinet, and with line power fed from the TV section
.. Given this, and the faults as described, particularly the fact that it
works fine on antenna, I would feel inclined to suspect the DVD section's
power supply. Specifically, I would be looking for a rail, probably the 5v
one to the system control micro, that was low and dirty, due to a failed /
dried out / poor ESR filter electrolytic. You might even find that if you
looked at the power supply closely enough, the offending one, if indeed it
is that, gave itself up to you by having a bulging top ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The fix is to replace the transport. You can contact Toshiba themselves
to find out who their parts rep is for your area. After replacing the
transport some adjustments may be necessary. You will need the service
manual and tools to do the adjustments.

--

JANA
_____