Arch

Default Musing about my attitude toward messing with a Jet mini's minispeeds.

I can't leave well enough alone. I don't know whether increasing or
decreasing the control potentiometer's resistance lowers a Jet VS mini's
speed. I wonder if a fixed resistor in either series or parallel with
the pot would lower the speed without ruining the motor or VS control
electronics. Any experience or advice?

I've thought about adding Rube Goldberg smaller-motor/bigger-spindle
pulleys, but there's not much shaft or head casting space to mess around
with. The integral motor makes a clutch or epicyclic system
impractical. Replacing the ac motor on my 'pulley-jet', even with an
inexpensive Vega dc motor system seems wasteful.

Actually neither variable nor much lower minimum speed seems important
with the size and kind of things I turn, sand, polish or drill on my
Jets. Tweaking never seems much use and whatever pulleys are belted, I
seem to turn the pot either all the way up or down. So how come I prefer
my VS when I rarely change pulleys on either lathe? Probably it says
something about sloppy technique.

I guess using a different speed control resistance isn't workable or Jet
would have done it. "Where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise",
but I can't help wondering why Jet opted for a 500 rpm minimum speed.
To keep costs down? To keep power up? Not asking us? I can't argue
with success and out the door as is, the Jet mini is a huge success.
What to do? Likely nothing. Arch

Fortiter,

George

Is that just a pot, Arch? I thought they were SCR type controllers.

Bet the high minimum speed has something to do with cooling, though. I slow
mine with bevel pressure and belt slip if it starts dancing, and the start
cap kicks in sometimes. Not good for it, but keeps my pucker factor lower.

Countershafts aren't Rube devices, but they can be a challenge if you're not
ready to build your stand afresh.

"Arch" wrote in message
I can't leave well enough alone.

I guess using a different speed control resistance isn't workable or Jet
would have done it. "Where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise",
but I can't help wondering why Jet opted for a 500 rpm minimum speed.
To keep costs down? To keep power up? Not asking us? I can't argue
with success and out the door as is, the Jet mini is a huge success.
What to do? Likely nothing. Arch

Arch

Default Musing about my attitude toward messing with a Jet mini'sminis...

Thanks george. I'm pretty sure Jet doesn't use vacuum tubes or Galena
crystals, but beyond pots I'm obviously lost. Arch

Fortiter,

Arch

Default Musing about my attitude toward messing with a Jet mini'smini...

I'm beginning to realize that my attempts at humor often turn off your
pro/con discussions/answers. I was serious in inquiring about the Jet's
variable speed control, a potentiometer wired external to the board. Can
it be safely changed and could that lower the lathe's minimum speed? I
can see that cooling at low speed is 'prolly a prob', but excepting
that, is a different pot feasible? Electronic ngs must exist, but
someone here must know the answer, please discuss it. TIA, Arch

Fortiter,

George

http://users.telenet.be/educypedia/e...wercontrol.htm

Appears to be a DC motor according to the picture and Manual.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

Radio Shack time.

"Arch" wrote in message
I'm beginning to realize that my attempts at humor often turn off your
pro/con discussions/answers. I was serious in inquiring about the Jet's
variable speed control, a potentiometer wired external to the board. Can
it be safely changed and could that lower the lathe's minimum speed? I
can see that cooling at low speed is 'prolly a prob', but excepting
that, is a different pot feasible? Electronic ngs must exist, but
someone here must know the answer, please discuss it. TIA, Arch

Fortiter,

Leo Lichtman

"Arch" wrote: (clip) I can see that cooling at low speed is 'prolly a
prob', but excepting that, is a different pot feasible? (clip)
As you try to lower the speed below the factory design limit, you may run
into difficulty with stalling. While the motor will probably run slowly
with no load, it will have very little torque.