George

Default Musing about my attitude toward messing with a Jet mini's minispeeds.

Is that just a pot, Arch? I thought they were SCR type controllers.

Bet the high minimum speed has something to do with cooling, though. I slow
mine with bevel pressure and belt slip if it starts dancing, and the start
cap kicks in sometimes. Not good for it, but keeps my pucker factor lower.

Countershafts aren't Rube devices, but they can be a challenge if you're not
ready to build your stand afresh.

"Arch" wrote in message
I can't leave well enough alone.

I guess using a different speed control resistance isn't workable or Jet
would have done it. "Where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise",
but I can't help wondering why Jet opted for a 500 rpm minimum speed.
To keep costs down? To keep power up? Not asking us? I can't argue
with success and out the door as is, the Jet mini is a huge success.
What to do? Likely nothing. Arch