Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eregon

Default OT - A "Liberal Attitude"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4748292.stm

Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat

A Sudanese man has been forced to take a goat as his "wife", after he was
caught having sex with the animal.

The goat's owner, Mr Alifi, said he surprised the man with his goat and
took him to a council of elders.

They ordered the man, Mr Tombe, to pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars
($50) to Mr Alifi.

"We have given him the goat, and as far as we know they are still
together," Mr Alifi said.

Mr Alifi, Hai Malakal in Upper Nile State, told the Juba Post newspaper
that he heard a loud noise around midnight on 13 February and immediately
rushed outside to find Mr Tombe with his goat.

"When I asked him: 'What are you doing there?', he fell off the back of the
goat, so I captured and tied him up".

Mr Alifi then called elders to decide how to deal with the case.

"They said I should not take him to the police, but rather let him pay a
dowry for my goat because he used it as his wife," Mr Alifi told the
newspaper.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jgandalf

Eregon wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4748292.stm

A Sudanese man has been forced to take a goat as his "wife", after he was
caught having sex with the animal.

The goat's owner, Mr Alifi, said he surprised the man with his goat and
took him to a council of elders.

They ordered the man, Mr Tombe, to pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars
($50) to Mr Alifi.

snip

Why label this as a "liberal attitude"? To me it's just a feature of a
typical backwards conservative patriarchal culture. The male gets what
he wants after paying some money. No one asked the goat if she (here
I'm assuming - hoping? - it's a nanny goat) was a willing party to this
marriage. Of course, if the goat was raised properly in that culture,
she should learn to accept her situation, and become a respectful wife.

As a side benefit for the guy, he'll have a constantly horny wife
(sorry, that one escaped before I could censor myself).

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:52:18 GMT, Ignoramus1440
wrote:

lemme see, a goat does not yell, does not nag, does not need expensive
clothes, is horny all the time, and also makes milk -- what a great
wife.

But it will screw up the paint on your car/truck standing up there...

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Kunkel

"jgandalf" wrote in message
ups.com...
Eregon wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4748292.stm

A Sudanese man has been forced to take a goat as his "wife", after he was
caught having sex with the animal.

The goat's owner, Mr Alifi, said he surprised the man with his goat and
took him to a council of elders.

They ordered the man, Mr Tombe, to pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars
($50) to Mr Alifi.

snip

Why label this as a "liberal attitude"? To me it's just a feature of a
typical backwards conservative patriarchal culture.

My thoughts exactly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³

"John Kunkel" wrote in message
. ..

"jgandalf" wrote in message
ups.com...
Eregon wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4748292.stm

A Sudanese man has been forced to take a goat as his "wife", after he
was
caught having sex with the animal.

The goat's owner, Mr Alifi, said he surprised the man with his goat and
took him to a council of elders.

They ordered the man, Mr Tombe, to pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars
($50) to Mr Alifi.

snip

Why label this as a "liberal attitude"? To me it's just a feature of a
typical backwards conservative patriarchal culture.

My thoughts exactly.

Given the laws of the Sudan, Mr. Tombe *could* have been *executed*.

Sparing his life was a *very* "Liberal Attitude"! grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

RAM³ wrote:
"John Kunkel" wrote in message
. ..
"jgandalf" wrote in message
ups.com...
Eregon wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4748292.stm
A Sudanese man has been forced to take a goat as his "wife", after he
was
caught having sex with the animal.

The goat's owner, Mr Alifi, said he surprised the man with his goat and
took him to a council of elders.

They ordered the man, Mr Tombe, to pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars
($50) to Mr Alifi.

snip

Why label this as a "liberal attitude"? To me it's just a feature of a
typical backwards conservative patriarchal culture.

My thoughts exactly.

Given the laws of the Sudan, Mr. Tombe *could* have been *executed*.

Sparing his life was a *very* "Liberal Attitude"! grin

"Allah has written that you should be put to death for this abomination!
But instead, Allah in his merciful wisdom, has decreed that you should
be wed to this goat instead"

I'm sure it was a lovely ceremony
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Allah has written that you should be put to
death for this abomination!
But instead, Allah in his merciful wisdom, has
decreed that you should be wed to this goat
instead"

I'm sure it was a lovely ceremony

But the bride didn't wear white?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Rex B" wrote

I'm sure it was a lovely ceremony

And I am sure the groom was happy. Considering the alternatives.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:40:15 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"John Kunkel" quickly quoth:

--snip--
They ordered the man, Mr Tombe, to pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars
($50) to Mr Alifi.

snip

Why label this as a "liberal attitude"? To me it's just a feature of a
typical backwards conservative patriarchal culture.

My thoughts exactly.

No, radical conservatives would have jailed or stoned him for
bestiality and/or sodomy.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 10:07:41 +1100, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Miller" quickly quoth:

"Allah has written that you should be put to
death for this abomination!
But instead, Allah in his merciful wisdom, has
decreed that you should be wed to this goat
instead"

I'm sure it was a lovely ceremony

But the bride didn't wear white?

Did, too, and she ate every scrap when they were done.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --