Dave

Default Laser center?

Anyone have personal experience with this product? The idea has been
mentioned in the past but everyone always questioned whether the spot
would be too big for any accuracy.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=2604

Bob Engelhardt

RoyJ wrote:
Claimed accuracy is 004" to .020" certainly not wonderful

That's the spot diameter. The claimed accuracy is .001. But what does
that mean when the spot diameter is .004 - .020? Maybe it means if you
put the center of the spot at the edge, the center of the spindle will
be within .001 of the edge. How you put the center of a .020 spot with
some fuzziness within .001 is the trick. Except for Harold, I'm sure he
can do it easily :-) (Just seeing if you're paying attention, Harold.)

Bob
Bob May

Sure sounds like a useless tool to me! All I can think of it being useful
for is really large lathes where you have to rough in the centering before
applying a dial test indicator.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Carmine Castiglia

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
RoyJ wrote:
Claimed accuracy is 004" to .020" certainly not wonderful

That's the spot diameter. The claimed accuracy is .001. But what does
that mean when the spot diameter is .004 - .020? Maybe it means if you
put the center of the spot at the edge, the center of the spindle will be
within .001 of the edge. How you put the center of a .020 spot with some
fuzziness within .001 is the trick. Except for Harold, I'm sure he can do
it easily :-) (Just seeing if you're paying attention, Harold.)

Bob

The unaided human eye is easily capable of finding the center of a 0.004"
diameter spot to a high degree of accuracy, certainly within 0.0005". Given
a 0.020" spot, I would estimate that most of you could locate the center
within 0.001 - 0.002" without much difficulty.

I read an article on this subject many years ago, haven't the slightest idea
where though.

Carmine Castiglia
InfosystemsPro LLC
PalmOS apps for engineers and machinists.
http://www.infosystemspro.com

Dave

Bob May wrote:
Sure sounds like a useless tool to me! All I can think of it being useful
for is really large lathes where you have to rough in the centering before
applying a dial test indicator.

I would think it is mostly applicable for a mill. Micromark offers a
different version as 83191...
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=83191

David Billington

Quite an intersting thing about the mind, when I did archery and shot at
a 2ft target I would get maybe a 6" diameter group, by placing a smaller
object in the centre such as a coke can you focus on that and the
grouping would go down to about 2". Maybe the same sort on phenomenon.
Never did get the mind trained to focus on the bullseye and ignore the
bigger target.

RoyJ wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:00:52 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

Quite an intersting thing about the mind, when I did archery and shot at
a 2ft target I would get maybe a 6" diameter group, by placing a smaller
object in the centre such as a coke can you focus on that and the
grouping would go down to about 2". Maybe the same sort on phenomenon.
Never did get the mind trained to focus on the bullseye and ignore the
bigger target.

This is true of Zen archery. And hunting. When shooting at an
animal..one doesnt.

One shoots at a particuarly small portion of that animal. A tuft of
hair, a speckled bit, etc.

Gunner, Professional Archers Association 1969-1971

RoyJ wrote:

[...]

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long