Default Any tips on finding some some shop space? (Greater Los Angeles area)

Just wondering what everyone's experience was in finding some
industrial shop space for their machines. I've checked my local papers
and I haven't seen much listed. Most phone calls to leasing agency's
are really short after I tell them I am looking for a space around or
under 1000 sq ft (ie this doesn't involve much money)

Ideally I want to find a small space (garage sized) with a roll-up door
in a low rent area that I can afford to work on and store my tools and
machines. I've looked at various areas, both the high end (greater
than $1/mo sqft in the South Bay) and low end ($.50/mo supposedly in
corona/ontario area) and I haven't had too much luck just driving
looking for industral area lease signs.

Any tips/leads on how to find listings or what specific
areas/neighborhoods I should look in would be great (ideally within the
25 mins of the south bay area). Or even how to look, thanks.

Nice idea. I did a quick search for forums, and come up mostly with
R/C car forums and Nascar stuff. Any idea on a search term that will
point me to the right type of forums (or a starting point?) Or the
ones your area so I have a idea of what your talking about?

Thanks a lot!

DeepDiver

wrote in message
ps.com...

Ideally I want to find a small space (garage sized) with a roll-up door
in a low rent area that I can afford to work on and store my tools and
machines. I've looked at various areas, both the high end (greater
than $1/mo sqft in the South Bay) and low end ($.50/mo supposedly in
corona/ontario area) and I haven't had too much luck just driving
looking for industral area lease signs.

Any tips/leads on how to find listings or what specific
areas/neighborhoods I should look in would be great (ideally within the
25 mins of the south bay area). Or even how to look, thanks.

I recently bought and picked-up a Rong Fu mill-drill from a small business
in Ontario; their shop exactly matched your description (although I have no
idea what their rent was). So you might want to look in the area immediately
south-south-west of the Ontario Airport.

The address of the industrial building where the shop was located, is: 1721
S. Vineyard Ave, Ontario, CA 91761 (to respect the privacy of the seller,
I'll not disclose their suite number). There seemed to be a lot of similar
facilities in the neighborhood. Actually, I found this area to be rather
interesting: the industrial area was interspersed with small (lot-sized)
strawberry fields!

I don't know how close this area is to you. I'm from the San Francisco Bay
Area myself.

- Michael

AL

I had the same problem with brokers being abrupt when they realized I was
looking for 1000 sf. All I can say is don't give up. I was very
discouraged after about a dozen calls, but the last one yielded a gem.

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Gunner

On Wed, 25 May 2005 23:12:32 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Thats about 2 miles from me as I type this. Lots of small shops over
on that side of the airport.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Hey Gunner,

I'm centered in the South Bay (Gardena/San Pedro etc) area, which is
unfortunate due the the price for sqft. Anyplace I 'pick' will be a
trade off in commuting and price (assuming acceptable units can be
found).

Van Nuys is actually closer (30 mins) than the area I am currently
considering, the Ontario/Montclair area (50 mins) which is around .60 a
sqft give or take. I've seen ads out there for .50 and under, but I
have not checked them out yet. How much is land out there in Van Nuys?
What kind of units are available?

Right now anyplace that is secure, has a roll-up garage (or simular),
good electricity hookups and is inexpensive is a viable alternative.
Flexible lease/rent is a plus, but I might be pushing my luck since 1
yr min is almost a given it seems.

Can't wait to hear from you. (johnnon at gmail.com)

Gunner

On 26 May 2005 10:37:59 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Ill do some checking over the next week. Would you mind sharing with
another individual? Split the rent and utilities? This is quite
common.

Call Russ at Dahl Screw Products
1545 Cowles
Long Beach, Ca
562-590-8894

He may have some ideas about that area. He may even have some space

Tell him Gunner, the OmniTurn guy referred you.

Thats pretty close to you isnt it?

Gunner

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Hey Gunner,

Thanks in advance for checking. I want to spend the least as possible
(not really a profit making operation in the near future), the commute
might suck, but I have to afford the space on spare income. Hopefully
under $500 - $700/mo for a low rent area (any space from 400 sqft on
up, so far I don't have much stuff, although that might change). So
unless I get lucky and get some surplus space or a really niche spot,
seems Long Beach might be too rich for my blood (although it would be
great, and I'll try to get a hold of him).

P.S I'm looking for my own space, don't really want to share. Biggest
requirement I guess is a secured work area (don't want to worry about
theft etc), and a roll up door for shop machines and deliveries.

Thanks Gunner, hope to hear from you next week.
-John (johnnon at gmail.com)

There are a lot of little shop spaces like you want not too far from
you- but I think your price points are kinda unrealistic.
When I first moved to LA, way back in 1984, shop space like you want
was going for between .50 and a buck a square foot. 20 years later, I
gotta think rents have gone up, considering how much real estate has
gone up.

I found several shops over the years in LA, and though I would look in
the Times and the Recycler every week, the best method I found was to
drive the grid of neighborhoods I was interested in.
I would be out every weekend, driving Paramount, the edges of Compton,
Inglewood, Gardena, Hawthorne, Torrance, Bellflower, Norwalk,
Southgate, Bell, Vernon, Commerce- All up around the LA river is good
territory. Drive the alleys, and the dead end streets up against the
river, under the freeways.
The little shops are owned by guys who are not gonna pay brokers, or
high priced ads in the Times. So they will put for rent signs up.

I was in Inglewood for 10 years, and with common sense, I never had my
shop broken into. Decent locks, bars on the windows, I paid for an
alarm system every month. Dont leave doors open, just basic stuff like
that. Make friends with your neighbors, and do them favors, and they
look out for you. A locking tool chest, a locking cabinet for small
power tools. Nobody is gonna steal major machines- its mostly cash,
liquor, guns and easily pawnable stuff like drills and boomboxes that
get stolen.

One thing you might consider is putting your own ad in the recycler-
hey, its free, what have you got to lose?
Industrial space wanted, list your prefered areas, and price range.

Nice to hear that security even in around these parts is not so bad.
And yeah, I realized that real estate in the South Bay area is crazy
high (IMHO). I will probably have to find space in the outlaying areas
(Ontario etc) unless I get lucky and find a dinky little shop area
around here. Those tips for finding a space are pretty what I have
tried doing so far (guess I just have to spend at little more time/gas
next weekend). Only wish there was some map of business
park/industrial areas, as opposed to just guessing and doing freeway
view sweeps of areas.

If you can copy down the number next time your by there that would be
great...
-John (johnnon at gmail.com)

Thanks gunner, let me know

Gunner

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:25:47 GMT, The Hurdy Gurdy Man

If you can copy down the number next time your by there that would be
great...

This should be them:

Martin Company
800-300-2551

The units in question are on west 9th street in Upland, on the north
side of the street, with a gigantic sign that says something like "industrial
workshops" on it. Nearest cross streets are Benson (to the west) and
Mountain (to the east). In looking through it this weekend it looked like
there were still quite a few empty slots, and they definitely look like
sub-1000 square foot units.

Thats a good neighborhood also. A couple blocks away is Cutting
Edge, a metal saw cutting and waterjet cutting outfit that is good to
deal with and always has good drops.

Its also about 3 miles from where I keep my RV, so if you get a place,
drop me an email and Ill give you a hand setting up your shop.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown