Eric R Snow

Default Who knows about laser engravers?

I'm curious about these things. Thinking about buying one. Wondering
about the laser life in hours, how much power to get, what kind of
materials can be processed efficiently. I'll be contacting
manufacturers but real world experience always helps a bunch.
Thanks,
Eric R Snow,
E T Precision Machine
Anthony

Eric R Snow wrote in
:

I'm curious about these things. Thinking about buying one. Wondering
about the laser life in hours, how much power to get, what kind of
materials can be processed efficiently. I'll be contacting
manufacturers but real world experience always helps a bunch.
Thanks,
Eric R Snow,
E T Precision Machine

A. Get one of the new fiber optic systems. Requires no chilled water. Is
much smaller, and more reliable.
B. Talk to your rep, but I would suggest at least a 20kw. This should
mark about anything quickly.
C. You will need a vacumm system, to get rid of the vapors. (FumeEx is
one brand)
D. You will need a PM system and proper procedures for lamp changes, lens
cleaning, etc.

They are fast, consistent, you can mark about anything, with any design,
even serialization.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Anthony

Ned Simmons wrote in
:

20kW? Yeah, that should mark about anything, including passing
aircraft g.

Ned Simmons

Yup, my bad, should have been 20w not 20kw.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Douglas Adams

Would my car alternator be able to power the 20kW unit? 8-)

"Anthony" wrote in message
Ned Simmons wrote in
:

20kW? Yeah, that should mark about anything, including passing
aircraft g.

Ned Simmons

Yup, my bad, should have been 20w not 20kw.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Ned Simmons

In article , mike_d2
@REMOVE_THISnetlane.com says...
Would my car alternator be able to power the 20kW unit? 8-)

Sure, if you have a 1 megawatt alternator in your car. ;o)
Efficiency on these things is pretty low, under 5% for a
400W welding laser I was working with recently.

Ned Simmons

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:10:22 -0800, Eric R Snow
wrote:

I'm curious about these things. Thinking about buying one. Wondering
about the laser life in hours, how much power to get, what kind of
materials can be processed efficiently. I'll be contacting
manufacturers but real world experience always helps a bunch.

I know a guy you can talk to, just have to dig up his real email addy.
His name is Doug Dulmage, recently moved to Victoria BC. He's got a
bunch of really cool laser equipment, but I'm not sure what all
actually made th' move up there yet. Anyway, when I find his addy
I'll email it to ya. He'll talk yer ears off g.

Snarl

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:08:10 -0500, the inscrutable "Douglas Adams"
spake:

Would my car alternator be able to power the 20kW unit? 8-)

Gonna vaporize those cell phones before they cause already ditzy/bad
drivers to drive off bridges, eh? Or swing it around and take out the
radiator of the car tailgating you? Sounds handy! bseg

The Titanic. The Hindenburg. + http://www.diversify.com
The Clintons. + Website & Graphic Design