JR North

Default Got my Radar Today (w/metal content)

Picked up a JRC 1800CP off Ebay for Cruis'n Rulz! I got this wild-ass
idea-always wanted an open array scanner; I think they look way cooler
than a radome. However, O/A scanners are much heavier than the Radar
Arch will safely handle in rough seas.So...
Having had the box open for 30 minutes, I promptly voided the warranty
by completely dissassembling the radome. Did some evaluation; My plan
will work. A little re-engineering, some glass work and metal fab, and I
will have a 24" 2KW Open Array (looking) scanner Atop Cruis'n Rulz!. I
can reduce the weight and size of the resulting assembly by about 50%
from the radomes original weight of 11 lbs., and reduce the footprint to
a 5" square. The cable will exit underneath directly into the Arch,
instead of plugging into the back. The resulting size of the
re-engineered drive/electronics package under the antenna will be about
6"X 9" and 4" high. Final weight about 5-6 lbs.
Stay tuned for pics on my website.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dependence is Vulnerability: