Loren Coe

Default McMaster-Carr amazed me today...

McMaster-Carr amazed me today, they reshipped a
thermometer that i was not really sure i wanted on Feb
11. it was on my portch today, Sat, Feb 14. since it
came UPS, it probably was there by Friday eve., Feb 13.

the full story is long, i partially completed an
order for a glass tube thermometer some weeks ago, but
did not know the shipping and did not provide a credit
card. i asked in the comments section of the order for
them to contact me (gave my phone#) to quote shipping and
confirm the order.

two weeks later the item arrives, broken, in a perfectly
intact box, w/adequate packing. the only other order that
i've made from MCM-Carr was years ago, and involved some split
shipping from two or three locations and the result was fine,
and also low bucks. both of these orders were via the web.

i tried to log in as a previous customer to get some kind
of doc on the broken thermometer but could not remember my
orig.password. so i sent email. guess what? with nearly
zero effort, i was able to communicate the issues, get a quote
for shipping, and trigger a replacement unit. not two weeks,
but two _days_ later, it arrives. they don't even want me
to return the broken unit, and they _really_ packed the 2nd
one.

this is one really "connected" company, and they do _not_
screw you on shipping charges. this one experience would
indicate their customer service is outstanding. it's nice
to have access to this resource, gratifying, in fact. ymmv.

my 2cents, and direct experience, --Loren
Dan Cassaro

I recently ordered from McMaster at 6:30PM eastern time, paying for ground
shipping. I received an email confirmation from theLos Angeles office 15
minutes later, and had the part at 10:30 the next morning, shipped UPS
Ground out of Orlando. I agree, they have it together.
Dan

McMaster-Carr amazed me today, they reshipped a
thermometer that i was not really sure i wanted on Feb
11. it was on my portch today, Sat, Feb 14. since it
came UPS, it probably was there by Friday eve., Feb 13.

JazzMan

Loren Coe wrote:

this [McMaster-Carr] is one really "connected" company, and they do _not_
screw you on shipping charges. this one experience would
indicate their customer service is outstanding. it's nice
to have access to this resource, gratifying, in fact. ymmv.

I have had the pleasure of dealing with them on multiple
occasions as well, and they will continue to me my favorite
place to order stuff from.

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!

Anthony

(Loren Coe) wrote in
om:

[...]

We order from them a lot. I have my own 'big book' catalog even.
Anything I order always arrives one-two days, unless it is backordered,
but even then, they ship what they have instead of waiting until they
have it all like some companies do. Always excellent service. Always
excellent return policy, even if you order the wrong thing. The prices
may be a touch higher than say MSC, but, you can't beat the service, it
is in a class by itself.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Ken Moffett

Loren Coe wrote:

[...]

One thing that always bothered me is that they never list manufacturers'
names in the catalog. Sometimes I need more detailed spec's, than they
list, before I order.

On the other hand anytime I emailed or called them for the manufacturer,
they were very, very, very helpful.

I wouldn't trade them for any other vendor.
Leo Lichtman

McMaster-Carr could not buy that kind of customer loyalty for any amount of
money spend on advertising. Why can't more vendors realize the advantages
of *doing the right thing,* over *promising the do the right thing*?

Glenn Ashmore

They have really spolied me. I put in my order by 8AM and it is here
(100 miles from the Atlanta center) by 1PM.

Loren Coe wrote:

[...]

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

No question about it, they are the best in the business and I order
many of my business supplies from them frequently.

I, too, would sometimes like to see the name of the manufacturer on
some of the products. However, I have never gotten any item from them
that I would consider less than first class quality or a major brand
name.

Dave

(Loren Coe) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Jon Grimm

I always brag about the service received from mcmaster-carr and MSC

if you ever want details about items mcmaster sells, call them, they'll be
more than happy to give you the brand name and any other info

wrote in message
om...
No question about it, they are the best in the business and I order
many of my business supplies from them frequently.

I, too, would sometimes like to see the name of the manufacturer on
some of the products. However, I have never gotten any item from them
that I would consider less than first class quality or a major brand
name.

Dave

(Loren Coe) wrote in message

. com...
[...]

Ken Moffett

Doug Warner wrote:

I've ordered form them in the morning, and found the mackage waiting
at home when I got back from work (Atlanta).

I just wish they'd sell the paper catalog. It's much better for
browsing, and would probably result in more sales (from me, anyway)

I used to get the catalogs from work, a computer support callcenter,
where there was absilutely no need for their products. They kept
sending the catalogs anyway..

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

I love browsing the catalog (paper). There are times I know what I
want, but don't know what it's called. Several times I've ordered
something from some other company, because they specialized it the area
of an odd item, only to find the same item while browsing though
McMaster-Carr. You just can't "browse" large online catalogs.
Abrasha

Ken Moffett wrote:

Loren Coe wrote:

[...]

With MSC, you can also call and find out. For instance, products listed as
"Import" or "Premium Import" will not have the country of origin listed in the
catalogue, but the info is almost always available from the telephone operators.

When I ask and an import is from China, India or Taiwan, I usually decline to
buy it. When an import is from Poland (some taps and dies I have bought from
MSC), Spain (reamers) or England (metric ball nose end mills), I usually buy it.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Abrasha

Leo Lichtman wrote:

McMaster-Carr could not buy that kind of customer loyalty for any amount of
money spend on advertising. Why can't more vendors realize the advantages
of *doing the right thing,* over *promising the do the right thing*?

MSC does just that. McMaster-Carr's outright refusal to make their catalogue
widely and easily available to anyone who asks for one, as MSC and many other
tool suppliers do, has made me unwilling to buy from them.

Their arrogance is exemplary.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Loren Coe

Abrasha wrote in message ...
Ken Moffett wrote:
Loren Coe wrote:
[...]

MSC is fine, too, imho. i have only ordered small $$ items from either
and have gotten catalogues from both. i think it if you use a business
name to order, you are more likely to get them (just my experience). --Loren
D. Rogers

That's because the margin of profit at the big catalog houses is way up
there and they can easily afford to fix a screw up. I used to work for MSC
in one of the 4 national call centers and if somebody was unhappy and the
problem could be resolved for under $50 then I would next day air out the
item, usually an upgrade if I had one in stock. By comparison it would cost
me an average of $75 in admin fees to return something. As I saw it I was
making a Customer for life and saving $25 to boot.

McMaster & MSC are great places to get hard to find stuff if you are willing
to pay a premium and get gang raped for shipping charges. Enco is owned by
MSC and ships many of the same exact things out of the same exact Dist
Centers for less money by the way. I buy stuff locally now that I'm on the
buying end and get just as good service without all the extra charges. If
you have problems with a local house and you do enough business with them
then your sales rep will probably do better for you and deliver it in
person. Just my 2 cents.

"Jon Grimm" wrote in message
I always brag about the service received from mcmaster-carr and MSC

if you ever want details about items mcmaster sells, call them, they'll be
more than happy to give you the brand name and any other info

Glenn Ashmore

The thing is, when you need 12 stainless left hand thread M12 bolts, a
square foot of bronze sheet and a piece of oil felt TOMORROW, you just
can't beat McMaster Carr. :-)

"Jon Grimm" wrote in message

I always brag about the service received from mcmaster-carr and MSC

if you ever want details about items mcmaster sells, call them, they'll be
more than happy to give you the brand name and any other info

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

jim rozen

In article , Ned Simmons
says...

McMaster charges about $3.50 to ship a small package from
their NJ warehouse to Maine, and it comes the next day.
Hardly gang rape, especially considering they have no
minimum. It costs me more to drive to the hardware store.

Agree. While they're not especially cheap, they either
a) have the stuff, or b) tell you the truth about when
they'll have the stuff. I've never felt their shipping
charges are terribly out of line with other suppliers.

I also like to use mcmaster car prices as a good "top
end" comp. for other local suppliers. If they're charging
more than mcmaster does, they're ripping me off bigtime.

Jim

please reply to: